“Camping for the non-camper” 5 of 5 stars

Wildebeest Eco Camp
151 Mokoyeti Road West | Langata, Nairobi 00100, Kenya   |
Ranked #6 of 151 Nairobi B&B and Inns
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Camping for the non-camper”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2011

8 of us stayed here on either side of our safari trip. My husband and I stayed in the deluxe tent that had it's own full bathroom. Another couple stayed in a Garden tent. I would recommend splurging for your own bathroom. The tent was large and in good condition. We had some issues with our shower not draining, but that was quickly rectified.

The owner Lynita was super nice and we enjoyed talking with her. The camp even stored some luggage for us that we didn't need for the safari. The included breakfast was good and the evening meals were great and worth the small extra price.
We loved our stay!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

228 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
  • Polish first
Lisse, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

This was our first stop in Nairobi, the garden tents give a very nice atmosphere, they are spacious, very clean, and even with a safe, it is like a hotel room with the flair of a camp, the shared bathroom and showers were always very clean, the common areas also nice and spacious, the staff very friendly. We booked a trip to the Maasai Mara with them and everything went perfect, though our driver 'Steve' was an arrogant unpolite 'ranger' we saw the amazing beautis of the Maasai Mara and came back to stay there our last night. The staff arranged our tickets to Kampala, and taxi to the bus, everything went very smoothly, if I was to come back to Nairobi, I would definetely stay with them! It is very close to the national park, to a lot of sights, and you are not in the city, the super market and mall are close by, you can walk there and it is safe, even if walking on the street the first day is a bit somber.

Room Tip: Garden tents are great!
  • Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

I've stayed at the Wildebeest Camp twice because I like the location and the place itself is quite nice. However, the staff are so unfriendly that I've vowed to not go back. They find ways to make you overpay and some have a serious power complex. It totally ruined my experience and memory of Wildebeest Camp.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Soest, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

We stay iin THE wildebeest camp three times during our trip in Kenia and Tanzania. It 's a relaxed and quiet place in a big city. The garden tents are comfertable and THE food is oke. They arrange all kind of things and have good advice.
We recommend to stay there!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

I was so excited to end my trip at Wildebeest after reading all the positive reviews. I had booked a garden tent but due to cutting my trip short had to change my booking to days that no garden tents were available. I rang and spoke to someone who was very very helpful and suggested I go into one of their 'comfortable' pitched tents. She said she would put me on the waiting list. For days I tried to ring and the phone was not working. On arrival I asked if there was a garden tent and was greet with a surley NO... from then on the service was stark/unhelpful/unfriendly and basically unwelcoming. If you run a business based on hospitality make sure your staff understand the concept. The tent was uncomfortable,
cold and did not do up properly. After a 17 hour train trip from Mombassa I wanted peace to catch up on sleep but this was not possible becuase the tents are positioned very near the outside tables where guests gather to chat which a group did till around 1am... incredibly selfish. There are no signs up reminding guests to maybe consider their noise levels due to the close proximity of sleeping people! I left the next day and am now in a lovely reasonably priced guest house in Karen catching up on sleep and nursing a very horrible cold thanks to a sleepless night in an uncomfortable cold tent @ Wildebeest Camp. My advise is stay if they have a proper garden tent - they look fabulous and may be worth suffering the 'cannot be bothered to help' front of house attitude. And as for their claims to be able to help with trips and tours I saw no information available on this and was definitely not going to ask for any
help on this ..... they have a few travel tips posted on the wall but nothing about visiting Nairobi highlights. They were very full - more tents were being pitched in the garden so I guess now that business is established and obviously booming standards can slip!

Room Tip: Only stay if they have a proper big pitched tent.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2011

Stay here! Friendly, efficient, amazing atmosphere. Hot water in the deluxe safari tents. Great evening buffet. Booked two excellent camping safaris with wonderful drivers through them, to Amboseli and the Mara. You can even organise a taxi service to the airport. This place really contributed to our fantastic African holiday.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Zichron Yaakov, Israel
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2011

nice place, good facilities, pleasant company.
good value, for 13 USD a night you get a decent bed and delicious breakfast. however, the tents get very cold at night and the prices for extra services are a bit high (like wi-fi, about 6 dollars a day).
the servers are pretty friendly, and the place has a nice feel to it, comfortable courtyard with plenty of room to hang out, relax or watch tv.
great place for families, however backpackers might not find the kind of atmosphere they're looking for here. the tour operating service is pretty good, they managed to arrange a safari for us with less than a 12 hour notice, which was really appreciated.

Room Tip: best to book as much in advance as you can to get a dorm room for the same price as a tent and much...
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo

Been to Wildebeest Eco Camp? Share your experiences!