“Bicycle tour and hike - excellent!” 5 of 5 stars

$149*
and up
Ranked #148 of 422 Activities in Kenya
San Antonio, Texas, United States
“Bicycle tour and hike - excellent!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

Nov 2012: This was the first park visit on my first trip to Africa. I'm an avid cyclist and love seeing the world from two wheels, so opted for the more adventurous bike rental tour.

My expectation was that this was more of a landscape and hiking tour, but after a mile in, I was amazed to see gazelles, then a host of other wildlife. There was a small group of Zebras that started to stampede when they were spooked by the jeeps that were trailing us and then suddenly I found myself in the midst of them as they crossed the road right in front of me! The hike down in the gorge was amazing as well. I'm glad I went to this park first in my trip - while there was much wildlife there, it was not the same scale as other parks.

Visited January 2013

“A day worth experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013 via mobile

A place of great learning or knowledge and good experience. A place of enjoying oneself. A place of rangelands that is a habitat for wildlife.

Visited December 2012
Ojai, California
7 attraction reviews
“FANTASTIC DAY!! Glad we had a guide!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

EPIC! Truly epic hike (and i have done the Amazon basin!) My husband and I had a few days in Kenya before our big safari and wanted to do something different. I have been on safari before and I know it's not very active (a lot of sitting in vehicles) so hiking seemed perfect!
Our BnB arranged a cab ride out to the park (several hours outside of Nairobi through the Rift Valley and down some spectacular view points).
Once we got to the park, we were a little on the fence about whether or not to use the services of the local, Masai park guide but at the last minute we decided to use one for the "long hike" thank heaven we did.
We were out for about 3 hours, and had to climb along boulders, up over rocks, around fantastic rock formations, nothing too high in terms of altitude, but a lot of sheer drops and places where it's a bit challenging to get a grip. Our guide, Rasto really made us feel safe and helped us get around some pretty difficult rock formations (what can I say rock climbing has never been my thing). Rasto also was a wellspring of information on Masai culture and was unbelievably patient with the most crazy questions.
This was one of our favorite experiences of our two week trip and we highly recommend it!

Visited May 2013
8 attraction reviews
“Worth a visit...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Took the family there for a day out and we really enjoyed ourselves. Seen loads of animals and enjoyed the tour around the kitchen.
A very interesting place, well worth a visit.

Visited December 2012
Houston, Texas
“Hells Gate is gorgeous but watch out for those bikes!”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 5, 2012

My friends and I went to Hells Gate on our trip to Africa a few months ago, and overall it was worth the trip. Good hiking with impressive views. They offer 3 different hikes (a short, medium and long). We did the medium version, which took us a few hours and involved scrambling up and down some sharp slopes but nothing too extreme.

The main reason I'm writing this review, however, is to warn people about the bikes! We could have driven down to Hells Gate for the hike. But we elected instead to make a day out of it and rent the bikes at the national park entrance and bike to the canyon. It's true that the scenery is great and you even see wild animals like zebras, warthogs and antelope up close. But the bikes rented by the national park are crap!! Even after carefully picking out our bikes (some brakes didn't work, some tires really needed air), we still had problems on the way there. It's over 5 miles to get to the canyon from the entrance. . . and it's all downhill on the way to the canyon and all uphill on the way back. We only made it halfway down before one of the bikes blew a tire and we had no way to contact anybody to bring a new one.
There was hardly anybody driving on this road so it was half an hour before we saw anybody. We flagged down the first bus that came by and inside it were 2 other people in it who had also rented bikes and blew a tire! They had to bribe some guy to drive them back or they would have been stuck too! Luckily we caught a ride with them back to the park entrance and then paid our driver to actually drive us to the canyon so we still got to hike.
If you really want to bike to the canyon, then make sure to check the treads of your bike so that you know you're not getting tires that are already worn out. Even if you check the tires, the road is really rocky so be prepared to walk back if you have to.

Visited January 2012