“Basic rooms but superb staff - an excellent budget hostel” 4 of 5 stars

Nubian Oasis Hotel
Mohamed Farid Street, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #51 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
London
“Basic rooms but superb staff - an excellent budget hostel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2010

We stayed in Nubian Oasis' sister hostel in Dahab so chose to stay here in Luxor. Rooms were basic but everything worked, and the location was great for us - not too far from the centre and easy to find.

The staff made this place - they really took care of us, sorting out buses, trips, general advice - even getting a friend to pick us up in Hurghada after we left!

Can't thank them enough as they really made our stay in Luxor.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Leiden, The Netherlands
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2010

Our stay in Nubian Oasis really ruined our stay in Luxor. The most frustrating thing was the fact that there was no airconditioning but only a small fan (which didn't help much because it was 45 C). The beds were awful: just two thin matresses which caused us backaches the next morning. The bathroom was absolutely full of ants and was really disgusting. The lock of the room was so old that it couldn't be locked, which made us feel quite unsafe at night. The guy at reception was trying to help us, but it still didn't work out. Even though this hotel might be the cheapest in Luxor, I would really recommend looking for another hotel.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Estonia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2010

My stay in the hotel was very pleasant. The rooms are yes, very basic, but if it's Luxor that You are there for, the room doesn't really matter. The staff is really hospitable, they don't only do what the profession expects, but really make sure You get along well in Luxor. Several times I was taken to the city center by the manager's motor bike:) and thanks to the staff I got invited to an egyptian street-wedding - an event not to be missed in Egypt!

The breakfast is the best in Egypt low-budget hotels. Yoghurt, omlett with salat and bread with cheese and jam!

The rooftop is really nice and cosy and a great meeting place.

Location is simply 5 minute walk form majour attractions and still in a quiet part of Luxor! I didn't even use my ear-pluga while sleeping.

Some of the reviews here are quite dramatic, but I had a very nice experiance!
Shukran Nubian Oasis Hotel!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Luján
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2009

I was there almost a year ago and it was the best hostel/hotel where I stayed during my jurney in Egypt. It's the best deal for backpackers in Luxor (mainly considering the very cheap price), and all the things that does not have (because it's far away from been a 5 stars hotel) are well compensated by the kindness and good disposition of the people that work in it. For example, they helped me find bus tickets to Cairo, because I couldn't get train tickets. I forgot to post a review before about it, but it's never too late and I think I owed it.

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
New Zealand
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2009

It ain't the Ritz - but for the price it's OK. For backpackers etc, it's more than OK, but if you're looking for a bit of comfort and luxury don't stay here. We met some of the best people on our trip at the rooftop bar of this hotel, it's such a great spot. The staff are also brilliant and the breakfast was great too.

• Liked — Roof top bar, staff
  • Disliked — Beds, bathroom
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
San Francisco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2008

We unfortunately only got to stay one night at the Nubian Oasis Hotel, but it was very enjoyable. They organized both a driver and bikes to take us to the sights that we wanted to see. They picked us up from the train station, and took care of finding us tickets home on a busy holiday week.

The rooftop terrace is very nice, and everyone was very friendly.

Really enjoyed my stay.

Stayed December 2008
Eugene, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2008

Where should I begin! This hotel was a nightmare for my 27 year old son and me on our adventure to Egypt. When I booked this online I should have taken a hint at the "low" price of $8 a night, but the reviews on Trip Advisor were very positive and all said it was a great value . It was close to the train station which was a plus but the lobby was not attractive at all. The room we had was awful. First of all the key didn't work so it took about 3-5 minutes to get into the room. Upon arrival my son went to the bathroom to wash his hands and his shoes got all wet because there was a large hole in the pipe. The shower had no curtain and was crawling with ants. The electricity went out for 2 1/2 hours after we arrived so we had no air(overhead fan) and no lights. We checked out before spending a night. This place might work fine for backpackers but for us it was a disaster.

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — dirty rooms and bathroom and lack of electricity
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Nubian Oasis Hotel? Share your experiences!