“Nice hotel with a pool” 4 of 5 stars

New Windsor Hotel
Nefertiti Street, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #55 of 56 hotels in Luxor
Calgary, Canada
“Nice hotel with a pool”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2010

This was the best place I stayed in Egypt, the staff was friendly, the room was big with a nice bathroom. The room had Air con and very nice sheets.

The hotel had a pool too, which looked very clean and inviting.

The only problem I had and this was partly my own fault was with the food. It tasted good but I ate the salad not even thinking that it was most likely washed in tap water, so I got traveller tummy for about 1 week.

Other than that I love the place and will use them again.

Stayed June 2009, traveled solo

10 people have reviewed this hotel

Families
Business
Austin, TX
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2009

We used this hotel for the day, as we had to check out of our cruise ship at 8 am, and needed a place until we boarded the train at 8 pm.

The room was dingy and shabby, but reasonably clean. The cleaning ladies were friendly when we saw them in the hall. Curiously, the cleaning lady spoke much better English than the lady at the front desk.

Based on the dinginess of the hotel, I would not recommend it. But if you are a student, or on a serious budget, then I would say go for it. I felt safe and the location is good.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — the dinginess
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Droitwich, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2008

Yuch, yuch

We only used this as a day hotel prior to catching the train from Luxor back to Cairo but it was enough

There was dried excrament by the pool, the bottom of the pool was so rough I sliced my foot. The whole pool area was filthy

There was a lack of air con around the main foyer area. The room we were given was below basic, the air con didn't work, the balcony door didn't lock, there were wired hanging loose

Overall not a pleasant experience

• Liked — nothing - other than leaving it
  • Disliked — everything
  • Stayed May 2008
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
essex uk
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2007

I booked this hotel on Rough Guide recommendation, before I read the review on Tripadvisor, dated Aug 07, so I was worried by that review. I needn't have been. This is a very nice hotel. The staff are all efficient and friendly. Our room was clean and comfortable, with AC, TV , a fridge and a balcony, and what seemed to be reasonably good security. There was no night time noise. The situation is excellent, just back from the Corniche, close to the Luxor museum, about 10 mins walk from Luxor temple and the main souk area and maybe 30 mins walk from Karnak temple. There is a taxi and caleche stand close by and a bank with ATM in the same block. You can get internet access on request for a small charge.
This is an excellent value deal - we were charged exaclty what we were promised on booking and got a genuine three star hotel with three star service and standards for $29 a night for a double room plus breakfast.
I write this review as an attempt to redress the impression given by what seems to me a very unfair review in August, which might have caused me not to book this hotel had I read it earlier. The later review posted in November matches our experience and views much more closely.

• Liked — Value for money. Friendliness of staff.
  • Stayed November 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Astoria, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2007

For the price, you can't beat this. I saw the prior review and was a little worried but got a great price and on the map it was within walking distance of most places.
This hotel is on a quiet court alley. It is right next to the Nile promenade where the cruise boats dock, there are some shops, banks, cafes, Luxor museum. It is a 30 minute walk either direction along the water to Luxor temple of Karnak temple. The hotel is bright except the halls. It has security, new cotton sheets, curtains, towels. TV, A/C, Balconies. It has 1950's furniture though. There is a pool. My bathroom was clean.
Please note there was NO GYM or fitness center as of October 2007 even though one is advertised. The food is good, I even ate the salads with no problem. Nice breakfast choices. The staff is friendly. They have Internet computers for rent. The roof garden view is of the Nile. I would stay here again if I got a good price again.

• Liked — Location, pool, and roof deck
  • Disliked — there was NO GYM but the ad said ther ewould be
  • Stayed October 2007, traveled solo
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 10, 2007

The hotel is located at the end of a dead end road and if you didn't know it was there you certainly wouldn't just wonder up to it.
The rooms are dark, the bathroom was awful. The bath was mouldy, the floor dirty, the ceiling had mould growing on it, I showered in my flip flops just in case.
The outer areas aren't much better either, dark and dingy.

• Stayed August 2007
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to New Windsor Hotel? Share your experiences!