“students had a ball” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
Mustafa34
“students had a ball”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

I took a group of 14 students to saty aty the El Gezira hotel Gamal and his staff were fantastic the studnets had a fantastic good value trip. the amenities in the hotel were great and the omlettes in a morning lovely. I would one again liek to thank all the staff at the hotel for making this trip a really enjoyable experience

• Stayed March 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

After reading some of the other reviews I have to agree that it is definatly not a hotel to go to if you are expecting 5 star accommodation, however, my boyfriend and I found El Gezira hotel absolutely perfect for us. As backpackers we wanted a clean, quiet and comfortable room with friendly staff and that is what we got. Perfectly situated near the ferry on the west bank it is easy to get to and from the main Luxor city as well as the valley of the kings and the tombs on the west bank.
There is a lovely roof restaurant where you can sit and look over the east side. The food is good and a good price aswell. Serves simpler foods ( if you don't fancy anything too rich ) as well as some good Egyptian meals. Breakfast is also served on the roof, make sure you sit in the shade as it gets really hot! If you can wait until after 9am they also serve Egyptian breakfast.
During the mid day heat you can use the pool of sister hotel El Gezira garden for free.
Just one bit of advice which we would remember for next time is that we did ask about the prices of some excursions through the hotel, but found that these were expensive. There is a really good travel agent on the East bank just outside the winter palace called Abu Simbel travel. We got a really cheap hot air balloon ride and a Nile cruise to Aswan with them.

Room Tip: We stayed in two rooms and found that room 3 on the ground floor was far nicer
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Harrogate
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Incorrectly listed there are two El Gezira Hotels owned by two bothers this one is along the Nile Corniche at Ramla on West Bank with better facilities, great food, with lovely swimming pool. The El Gezira Hotel is in Gerzera (luv all the different spellings vbg) down the side street by Restaurant Africa, off the main road to Valley of the kings this also has a great roof terrace serving cold Stella Beers & good food

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
Roma, Italia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

This is a review for Gezira Garden Hotel (which is a part of El Gezira Hotel). We had a two-room apartment in this very nice hotel in the West Bank of Luxor. It is a great choice for families, with a very nice terrace and a small swimming pool. An excellent location to explore the Valley of the Kings and the temples of the West Bank. You can also take a camel and have a ride along the Nile. At a short distance there is the ferry to cross the Nile, that leaves you in front of Luxor Temple.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I lovely peaceful retreat from the hustle of the East Bank. Staff friendly and helpful. Two minutes walk to the Nile, good food, room clean and comfortable, pretty garden, nice bar and lovely rooftop restaurant, a very good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Wales, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

Stupidly I booked this place for one week of my honeymoon. We had to endure 3 nights before we moved to a fantastic hotel on the other side of the Nile. I am sorry but in all my travels I have never been so disappointed. This is an excerpt from an email I just sent to Gezira Gardens:
"The room was FILTHY. I took a few photos. The surfaces were filthy.
The room needed to be cleaned from top to toe. The carpets were so
disgusting I rolled them up and put them in the spare room. This was
really upsetting for us. We never felt comfortable in the room.
The towels smelled dirty. I actually paid for two new towels at my own
expense since yours were so filthy.
The floor towels were so dirty they were black, as you can see from a photo.
The shower leaked. I think the shower waste pipe went under the tiled
floor, and the pipe was blocked, so the waste water came up through
the tiles in the floor and up the shower waste hole.
We booked and paid for a self-catering appartment but when we arrived
we found that there were no food prepation facilities at all (no
plates, saucepans, mugs etc) and that actually there was a sign saying
we weren't allowed to have any food in the room. Not that we would
have wanted to cook in there anyway because it was so filthy.
There were two young men who worked there (I got the feeling one of
them was the son of the owner?) and they walked around with an
aggressive manner which made us feel uncomfortable. They spoke to
other employees in an aggressive manner, as if they were superior to
them, and I think this is very unkind and made us feel uncomfortable
there.

It seems to us as though perhaps a few years ago you were a good
establishment and therefore got good reviews in travel guides like the
Rough Guide, which is where I read about you. Perhaps due to your
earlier success you have let standards slip. In our opinion your hotel
is now appalling. I would not be surprised if your hotel lost a lot of
business due to the appalling state it is now in. For your own sake I really hope that you make some huge changes in the
way you run your hotel."

To summarise for Trip Advisor, God this establishment has got SO LAZY it is unbelievable. Aggressive men wandering around, disguting room, completely overpriced. There are some wonderful, clean and really friendly places on the West Bank that we found. I would advise everyone to look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Water bugs all over the bathroom was a complete turn-off. I thought of changing hotels but I stayed as they agreed to spray to kill the bugs ....... This was at the Gezira Hotel, not the Gezira Garden hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo

Been to El Gezira Hotel? Share your experiences!