“There are to El Gezera Hotels this is El Gezera Gardens Hotel” 4 of 5 stars

El Gezira Hotel
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Geziret-El-Beirat, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #19 of 57 hotels in Luxor
Harrogate
“There are to El Gezera Hotels this is El Gezera Gardens Hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2011

Incorrectly listed there are two El Gezira Hotels owned by two bothers this one is along the Nile Corniche at Ramla on West Bank with better facilities, great food, with lovely swimming pool. The El Gezira Hotel is in Gerzera (luv all the different spellings vbg) down the side street by Restaurant Africa, off the main road to Valley of the kings this also has a great roof terrace serving cold Stella Beers & good food

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends

60 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Roma, Italia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2011

This is a review for Gezira Garden Hotel (which is a part of El Gezira Hotel). We had a two-room apartment in this very nice hotel in the West Bank of Luxor. It is a great choice for families, with a very nice terrace and a small swimming pool. An excellent location to explore the Valley of the Kings and the temples of the West Bank. You can also take a camel and have a ride along the Nile. At a short distance there is the ferry to cross the Nile, that leaves you in front of Luxor Temple.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with family
Manchester, England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2011

I lovely peaceful retreat from the hustle of the East Bank. Staff friendly and helpful. Two minutes walk to the Nile, good food, room clean and comfortable, pretty garden, nice bar and lovely rooftop restaurant, a very good place to stay.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled with friends
Wales, UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2010

Stupidly I booked this place for one week of my honeymoon. We had to endure 3 nights before we moved to a fantastic hotel on the other side of the Nile. I am sorry but in all my travels I have never been so disappointed. This is an excerpt from an email I just sent to Gezira Gardens:
"The room was FILTHY. I took a few photos. The surfaces were filthy.
The room needed to be cleaned from top to toe. The carpets were so
disgusting I rolled them up and put them in the spare room. This was
really upsetting for us. We never felt comfortable in the room.
The towels smelled dirty. I actually paid for two new towels at my own
expense since yours were so filthy.
The floor towels were so dirty they were black, as you can see from a photo.
The shower leaked. I think the shower waste pipe went under the tiled
floor, and the pipe was blocked, so the waste water came up through
the tiles in the floor and up the shower waste hole.
We booked and paid for a self-catering appartment but when we arrived
we found that there were no food prepation facilities at all (no
plates, saucepans, mugs etc) and that actually there was a sign saying
we weren't allowed to have any food in the room. Not that we would
have wanted to cook in there anyway because it was so filthy.
There were two young men who worked there (I got the feeling one of
them was the son of the owner?) and they walked around with an
aggressive manner which made us feel uncomfortable. They spoke to
other employees in an aggressive manner, as if they were superior to
them, and I think this is very unkind and made us feel uncomfortable
there.

It seems to us as though perhaps a few years ago you were a good
establishment and therefore got good reviews in travel guides like the
Rough Guide, which is where I read about you. Perhaps due to your
earlier success you have let standards slip. In our opinion your hotel
is now appalling. I would not be surprised if your hotel lost a lot of
business due to the appalling state it is now in. For your own sake I really hope that you make some huge changes in the
way you run your hotel."

To summarise for Trip Advisor, God this establishment has got SO LAZY it is unbelievable. Aggressive men wandering around, disguting room, completely overpriced. There are some wonderful, clean and really friendly places on the West Bank that we found. I would advise everyone to look elsewhere.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2010

Water bugs all over the bathroom was a complete turn-off. I thought of changing hotels but I stayed as they agreed to spray to kill the bugs ....... This was at the Gezira Hotel, not the Gezira Garden hotel.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled solo
Auckland Region, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2010

Please ensure you stay at the El Gezira GARDENS hotel, as there also is a "El Gezira Hotel" a few blocks away, and thats a dump. I was really surprised once I entered the hotel inner garden area and pool area after seeing a small entrance on a dirt road. I had a FANTASTIC time there. Its like coming home to an oasis after a busy day sightseeing and fighting off Luxor touts. The ferry between west and east bank is a short walk away. Take the LOCAL ferry for only ONE pound, instead of being convinced by the touts to take their little white boats across...trust me, it wont cost "only 5pounds, Sir" by the time you get across. You can also have a "Full Board" option, that includes all meals. The pool is fantatstic and well maintained. I highly recommend this little hotel.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled solo
calcutta
1 of 5 stars Reviewed March 7, 2010

We had booked Al Gezira Garden hotel over the net after seeing all the good reviews that it had got.But we were sorely disappointed. In spite of booking about 3 months in advance and reconfirming 7 days before, they were unable to give us the type of room that we had booked. After making us wait in the reception area for quite some time, they took us to an adjacent building outside the hotel boundary and allotted us a room in the first floor with the bathroom in the ground floor. In spite of booking an AC room with attached bath, we found ourselves in a room where the AC was broken and the ceiling fan was moving at a speed where we could count its blades. With such a poor state of affairs we decided to move out and find ourselves some other accommodation. As we tried to come out of the building we found to our utter astonishment that the main gate of the building was locked from outside. We shouted for help at the top of our voice upon which an employee of the hotel came and opened the lock without giving any explanation whatsoever as to why they had locked us inside. We immediately collected our passport from the reception and left the hotel.It was a fearful experience in a foreign country.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to El Gezira Hotel? Share your experiences!