“Exceptional hotel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #20 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
Redhill, United Kingdom
“Exceptional hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

I have recently returned from Luxor, Egypt where I stayed at the Little garden hotel. I can not fault this hotel in any way, shape or form. It is purely excellent for the price. The staff are very friendly and welcoming right from the minute you walk through the door up to the time you leave, the room is clean and tidy with 24 hours hot water and air conditioning that cools the room within minutes. The hotel arranged a pick up for me from the airport and they had turned on the air conditioning in the room ready for when I arrived so it was nice and cool after my long journey. It is worth emailing the hotel beforehand so they are ready for your arrival and check in goes really smoothly as mine did. As their name says, their little garden is a lovely place to sit with a cold drink during the early evening and their roof is wonderful for a bit of sunbathing or to sit in the shaded area with a book and relax. I felt so at home and comfortable, they make you feel like one of the family. I highly recommend this hotel and will definitely be staying there again and again.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
  • Arabic first
Amersfoort
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

For the second time I have been staying in this hotel during ten days and with much pleasure. The staff is friendly and always willing to help you. From the hotel you can easily visit the Luxor and Karnak Temple, cross the Nile for a trip on the West Bank, visit the souk as well as to walk through the busy alleys around the hotel. Rooms are cleaned daily, breakfast is served in the garden and do not forget the terrace on the roof.

Room Tip: Rooms at the backside me be a little more quiet.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 11, 2012

Spent a week here with my friend. It was cheap so I wasn't expecting me but it was such a great little find. The room was fine. The bathroom wasn't great but it was fine. You can't really complain for the price. It was cleaned everyday.

Breakfast was basic but good. We ordered food from the menu a couple of times and each time it was great. Staff were very friendly- knew good places we should go to eat, gave us great advice about visiting the sites.

My friend was looking to buy a shisha pipe and the guy at reception (forgot his name) was very willing to help us get a good price and not get ripped off.

Lovely rooftop terrace in this place. All the staff were always so nice and friendly. Especially the young Egyptian guy who often worked on the rooftop terrace. This place is cheap but so good. Treated like royalty. Would recommend this place to anyone who's not too fussy about luxury. It's a good basic hotel and lovely lovely staff.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Grafton Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2012

Barbara and the rest of the staff are very friendly at this great little hotel, which features a little courtyard front garden. Wi Fi is available as well as internet access. We enjoyed a number of meals from the menu over the course of three days staying there. It has a large rooftop dining, and lounging area. It is within walking distance to the train station and only a few kms away from the museum and temples. We picked the Asian room on the roof floor, with its domed brick roof and a little balcony added to its charm. the only negative thing was a problem with the floor pipes draining the water, but that was seen to while we were there. Highly recommended.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
St Austell, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2011

We stayed in this hotel because of the reviews and I was a little surprised that it was so bad. I often dismiss bad reviews on the basis that a lot of people are more anal than me, so I will focus on the worst bits and try not to quibble too much about details.

Before arriving in Luxor we had been warned (by Egyptians) that people often try to short change you. It only happened to us twice, and both times were at this hotel.

As always there is always an element of doubt when you are short changed as to whether it was intentional or not, so I will leave you to judge for yourselves. When I checked in I gave over two 200 egyptian pound notes to pay a bill of 292 pounds. The change I recieved was 8 pounds. When I pointed out the change should have been 108, the multilingual receptionist made a show of checking the sum on his calculator before hitting himself in the head, apologising and then producing a further 100 pounds (which we think) came from his back pocket. The second short changing was for a can of coke, so somewhat cheaper and a different bloke.

The tours that the hotel were trying to sell to us were about three times the cost of what seemed to be the going rate at the time we were there, although I do have a theory that this price could have been artificially inflated to make another guys price seem more reasonable.

The rooms were mainly clean, although most of the sheets and pillow cases had stains on them. I am pretty sure the were pretty well washed, but it can be a little offputting.

The sheets on the double bed were a little wierd. As often seems to be the case in egypt, the double bed was two single beds pushed together. The wierd part was that they seemed to have covered it with single bed clothes. The bed was covered in single sheets laid sideways. The top sheet that we were supposed to lie under was also a single sheet laid sideways, which left our legs exposed to the itchy thing that was laid over the top of it. We found a blanket in the wardrobe which we decided to use instead, which I made the mistake of pulling close to my nose at one point in the night. Smelt like stale sweat.

To rectify the bed situation we asked for an extra blanket in the morning. When we got back to the hotel we found no extra blankets (although the one that was there seemed to have been changed for a clean one), but there was now no sheets for us to sleep under. I had to ask for a couple of sheets to rectify the situation, which to be fair were handed over without too much fuss.

Breakfast was small and we were presented one morning with a crusty yellow piece of cream cheese. Whilst the hotel advertises satellite TV it doesn't appear to be in all rooms, though I didn't go to egypt to watch TV.

Overall, the hotel is pretty cheap, and perhaps the quality reflects this. The location is good, but I find it difficult to believe that you couldn't do better for a similar budget, so we would try a different one if we returned to Luxor.

Room Tip: check the bed straight away and ask for extra sheets, if necessary.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Newcastle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

good clean little hotel 10 mins walk from the nile and train station. but nice and quiet at night. everything you need if your not too bothered about luxury. Yasser abd el hady on reception was a great guy very helpfull and spoke good english. THANKS YASSER

Room Tip: large triple rooms
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

The Little Garden was the ideal place for our week long stay in Luxor. The room was comfortable, the staff incredibly helpful and friendly and the food was delicious. We also booked a tour to the west bank and a balloon ride through the hotel which was very reasonably priced and was everything we hoped for.

Thanks to everyone at The Little Garden Hotel for our wonderful time there, we hope to see you again one day!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Little Garden Hotel? Share your experiences!