“Back again” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
cheshire UK
“Back again”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2013

I WAS BACK IN lUXOR 5 -26 DEC 2013 HAD 12 TO 26 AT LOTUS The staff teir usual friendly self , breakfast little down if you want english, plenty of things but run out and HAVE TO ASK for fruit, yogurt and corn flakes, but no need to to next door!! your not paying their prices!! £200 for a single room for 2 weeks, yes we had lot in form other hotel to use the pool only one quater of pool not much sun but at lunch time was to hot most days. Reserved bed arein all hotels !!
Need to tip pool boys, Locals British do use this pool as Others to expensive!
I will be sorry to see the two girl Receptionist leave to get married this year. wi;ll miss them.
House keeper and staff good and things kept clean. Just a note had week at Pavilion 5stars yes, breakfast was better, but eaten alive by mosquitoes , also keys lost to house and car!!! but they found other things, just happened to have silver key fob!! Disppointed stayed here many times also, This is my 36 time to Egypt

Room Tip: 3, 305 404, 405 503,504 trouble was there were heavy smokers around
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (58)
Bexhill-on-Sea, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

We booked to stay at this hotel from 19th December to 26th December 2012 on a B&B basis. We were under the impression that it was a 4* hotel but at best it was a mediocre 3*. Our room was very dark but had a great view of valley of the kings from the tiny balcony. Maid service was good and room was cleaned everyday. Breakfast was not good, although there was a reasonable selection of pastries if you went to breakfast after 9.00 there was just everyone else's leftovers available. What is put out at the start of breakfast is not replaced as people use it so latecomers get a very spartan offering. Restaurant staff were mostly miserable and hovered around whipping plates away before you had actually finished eating. The menu is very limited and doesn't change at all throughout the holiday. The bathroom was fairly large but very tired, bath was badly marked and rough. The towels were grey and clearly very old but on the bright side if you forget to take your loofah on holiday with you, the towels do an excellent job of removing skin! Pool area is quite dark with limited number of sun beds, half of which are in pretty much total shade throughout the day and the other half were 'booked' by people getting up early and placing towels on them. The pool is heated. After our first day in this hotel we spent all of our time around the pool of the Sonnesta St George and ate all meals, including breakfast at this hotel which is next door to the Lotus. There were several other Lotus Hotel guests doing the same thing. There was nothing laid on for Xmas day. The Lotus could be a lovely hotel but it will require a complete refurbishment including bedding and towels and some of the restaurant staff need to be trained in customer service. Although the Lotus is reasonably priced and some websites list it as a 4* hotel it definitely is not so if you like comfort and fresh looking rooms and bedding (what you get is 2 greyish sheets, 1 brown furry blanket & a dated throw) then do not use this hotel as you will be disappointed. One night we had a 40 minute complete power cut (every other hotel & building around still had power) but no-one advised guests of what was happening or when the power would be restored.

Jackie & Assaf

Room Tip: Suites are ok, tired & shabby but you get a lounge & a bedroom with 2 balconies but they are...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

Just returned from our first trip to Egypt in this hotel, booked through Thomson. It looks good from the photos which are pretty accurate. Ok rooms, good location and a wonderful Nile view. However, either the service and catering have gone downhill recently or the good reviews on here are written by people who don't like food. The room service menu (on which they misspelt the name of their own hotel, calling it the "Louts") is rubbish and the dining room eerily empty at dinner. I know things are tetchy in Egypt and commodities are correlated, but not having any fresh orange juice for a week is a bit weird. They could easily make a killing doing cocktails and a pool-side BBQ, or just being more proactive and less laconic with the attitude towards service, but apart from one or two members of staff there doesn't seem to be any motivation. Someone told us the hotel is owned by the police who use it for R&R, which might explain it. I would say based on this and other people's experiences Egypt 4* is equivalent to UK 2.5*, so will definitely be booking 5* if we return to Egypt. I should say we are well-travelled and generally quite laid back so the Lotus didn't by any means ruin our holiday, which largely consisted of drinking by the pool. At least they serve alcohol :)

Room Tip: Ask for Nile view. Beware of the call to prayer, around 4am.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Isle of Wight, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I took my 81yr old disabled mother to this hotel for a week. Although I booked this holiday with On The Beach I did contact the hotel to make sure it was suitable for a wheelchair and that the bedroom was large enough for the wheelchair and that there was easy access to all levels of the hotel. On arrival we were greeted like old friends our bedroom which turned out to be a suite was huge and 2 balconys, everything was clean and comfortable. All floors of the hotel were easy to get too including the outside terraces and swimming pool area. The staff were all very very helpful and were always on hand to assist us if needed. The view of the Nile from our rooms and public rooms in the hotel is OUTSTANDING.

I did a lot of reserch on the net before taking this holiday and it certainly paid off. Before going I contacted a Mr Hassany Morsy from MISR AFRICA TRAVEL also known ILoveEgypt. I arranged to meet him in my hotel to discuss tours. What a helpful man he was, he assured me that they were perfectly able to show my mother the sites and thats exactly what they did . They made it really easy slowly calmly and as gently as possible. I say they what I should say is Moses who took charge of the wheelchair and Abdul the excellent guide both supplied by Mr Morsy. Abdul was very imformative and obviously loved his subject. He spoke really good English clearly. Moses was a charming young man Because of my mothers age and disability we could only arrange half day tours.

Tours we did were Valley of the Kings really really bumpy in a wheelchair. Karnak Light Show really really bumpy in a wheelchair. Luxor Museum real smooth My mother loved all of these tours and saw plenty of sites including the tombs at the V of K. Beware just because its flat doesnt mean it isnt going to be REALLY REALLY BUMPY. Thanks again MISR AFRICA TRAVEL.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2012

Our first trip to Egypt , only been back a few days . Lotus was our first hotel we booked in for 5 and stayed 6 days . After reading some of the reviews was a little wary . It was a great hotel our room was very clean , the pool is great . The breakfast is fine we did not expect 5 star nor paid for 5 star . Any one who complains will complain about about anything in life . We met some wonderful people will go back to the lotus We had 5 weeks touring around 10 hotels. Great views of Nile. We went on the hot air ballon wow amazing.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Just got back from a nice holiday with my daughter ...The hotel entrance and pool area is very nice ...The bedrooms are ok but could be cleaned to a better standard. The staff was very helpful on many occasions ,,,nothing was to much trouble so well done lotus staff ..The pool was heated which was nice ,,as the weather did cool down towards the end of the afternoon .
I would stay at this hotel again ,,,because the staff made us feel very welcome ...And the hotel on the whole was value for the money we paid ...
You do get a bit of hassle when leaving the hotel but me and my daughter just said no thank you ,,and the locals seem to accept that ....We did eat in a couple of restaurants ,,one is called Snobs which is in the street opposite to the lotus and the other is just across the road which is called King Tuts ...I would recommend both of them and they do very good veggie as I don't eat meat .... This hotel my be small but as a big warm welcome for the guest ,,,and I am looking forward to my next stay ...Well done the lotus

• Stayed November 2012
Millom Cumbria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2012

Just got back after 3 weeks staying at The Lotus. The location is great with the nile in front and the West bank. The rooms are cleaned daily and fresh linen and towels provided. The buffet breakfast was adequate for the price. Some people complained about the service but this is not 5* but there was a good choice and if you wanted anything else you just had to ask. The location was good with the English restaurants just over the road. We found a new shop called The Tobacconist which sells cigs and tobacco. I missed getting duty free on the plane (not a smoker myself) but someone always asks me and got genuine English tobacco and cigs. Not Chinese as some of the vendors sell. Also the owner has taxis and a bus so we booked some trips at the same time. The service was first class and the driver spoke excellent English and the prices were fixed. Have booked to go back to the Lotus again next May.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Lotus Luxor Hotel? Share your experiences!