“What Revolution?” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #22 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
“What Revolution?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2011

I have just returned from this hotel, chosen with the aid of this site. I am very pleased with my decision and thoroughly enjoyed crossing the river on a daily basis. It's not ultra smart but for me that is part of it's appeal and 5 star accommodation where one can be cocooned and in any Country in the World doesn't do it for me. The garden is just wonderful and being a true Brit I liked the presence of the cats and their antics, fighting and begging at meal times all add to the flavour. I think someone else has said it is possibly not for you if you don't like cats/animals.

The food and drink at the hotel is the most reasonable I have encountered anywhere and having worked my way through most of the menu, it was all delicious, personal favourite Shakshouka (sp?) The breakfast is also great and really sets you up for the day. They will toast the bread if you ask and you can have fried, scrambled or boiled egg, oh and omlette.

We had a room on the top floor with a domed ceiling. Great views and also near the roof terrace. They have recently starting to illuminate the Theban Hills at night which looks really wonderful. It could get a bit nippy at night and early morning but there was a spare blanket in the cupboard which was never actually used and they also light a fire in a bbq thingy for the security guard.

I would say if you want manicured luxury then stay on the East Bank in a 5 star hotel but if you like character and local colour then El Fayrouz is the business. The staff were very friendly despite the worrying situation at the time of my stay and being put on shorter shifts. I miss it already and would go back tomorrow if I could.

Sorry the pics are not very good and are slightly irrelevant, if you have any questions please get in touch.

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ottawa, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2011

As described in the other reviews, this is an excellent place in Luxor.

It is located a few minutes from the ferry, close to a few restaurants and small groceries store, next door to stables where you can find camels or horses to ride and a short taxi ride away from the Valley of the Kings and the other temples.

The hotel is also very nice and clean. The garden restaurant is wonderful and a great polace to make new friends. The breakfast is very good. The service is excellent.

For Christmas eve, the hotel had a special buffet and Egyptian musiciams

We also always feel safe in the area

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Zurich, Switzerland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

The location on the West bank was perfect. There are bicycle and quad bike rental shops as well as horse/camels/donkey stables within a short walk. The ferry boat is also close by.

We stayed here 4 nights from De 9 - Dec 13.Great value for money for the hotel as well as the restaurant.
- Outdoors restaurant was very cozy, with a lot of trees and cats around. I would avoid the hotel if you dont like cats. We were there in mid-December and they made fires in the evening you could sit around. Very cozy atmosphere.
- The room was spacious with a lot of shelf space. We thought the pillow cases smelled and put towels over them. Cleanliness of bed sheets and pillow cases is something they could improve on. I'm not sure they change them for every guests Hot water worked properly. The bathroom can get a little messy as there are not shower certains.
- Friendly staff
- Super slow internet; lobby area has wifi
- The management arranged us a day trip to Dendara and Abydos EGP 650, and also another trip to Aswan, stopping at Edfu and Kom Ombo, for the same price. We were happy with these arrangements - very time saving and very convenient. The driver waited for us in front of the temples, we could leave our things the car, and we could take our time.
- Avoid arranging bicycal rentals /quad bike tours through them. For bikes they charged us EGP 20 which they actually rented from a bike shop 15 meters away from the hotel, where you can actaully negotiate for 10. Same for quad bike tours. Just dont rush into booking these things as you can find better deals by just being a little observant on your walk to the ferry.

Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Aptos, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2010

This is a great little family owned hotel on Luxor's west bank. The location is perfect to see the sites, have quiet a rural village atmosphere, and still be 5 minutes walk/motor-launch to downtown Luxor. The owner Ahmed is a gem and a great guy to share a bottle of "tea" with in the back garden. The food at this place is great, and if you are tired of Egyptian food, try to the pizza. The rooms are new, clean, and comfortable though simple. The service is great and they will do what they can to make your stay comfortable. The back garden restaurant is the the place to be, even if your not staying at the hotel. The beer and wine flow, and the hookahs are plentiful.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled with friends
los angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2010

I stayed here for three day from Oct. 2nd to Oct. 4th.
This hotel is on the west bank and the price was right, about $20.00 usd a night. Only negative, no pool.

Reception was great, the rooms were clean, had air conditioning but it never got very cold in the room. No t.v. but the food at the garden restaurant was very good.

For the money, it would be hard to beat but just like my first few days in Cairo, next time, I would get a hotel with a pool.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo
Pasadena, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 17, 2010

El Fayrouz was a fantastic find for my fiancee and I for our trip to Luxor. It is located on the West Bank, nestled in among local housing and a few other smaller hotels. My first contact with El Fayrouz was via email with Susan. She responded promptly and was very helpful in getting our reservation in place. Susan also answered all my countless questions and through her we arranged our trip through the Tombs and Temples.

Upon arriving at El Fayrouz we were welcomed by Khaled and he immediately made us feel at home. His staff took care of our bags and we were led to a room that was far greater than I imagined. It was beautiful. Plenty of space, with a balcony, and a great view to the south. The bed was large and comfortable and the air conditioner was strong enough to allow us to stay cool during the night. It was very private.

The restaurant's food was outstanding with ample selections on the menu for any taste. I have had a lot of Kofta in my life and their's was one of the best. Breakfast was included with our stay and was a good way to start our mornings. The garden style setting of the restaurant was relaxing and inviting.

The location of El Fayrouz was also very nice. We wanted to stay on the West Bank away from the more active East Bank and it was a great decision. First, we were already on the side of Nile with the Tombs and Temples we wanted to see - which made it very easy in the morning to get started with our cab right outside. The hotel is only a 5 minute walk from the Ferry across the Nile which ran all day and was only 1 Egyptian pound each way. This made for easy access to the East Bank and Karnak & Luxor Temples and then back to the more quiet West Bank at the end of the day.

Khaled has done a wonderful job of creating a little oasis with a top-notch staff and excellent service. Any questions or need we had were always answered. El Fayrouz was a true find on our travel into Africa.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
dar es salaam
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2010

very nice hotel with very nice staff and very nice meal. Chicken roll with vegetables, you won't forget. A good place for budget traveller. They also arrange good tour for me to Dendara Temple and Aswan until Abu simbel.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled solo

Been to El Fayrouz? Share your experiences!