“An enjoyable, relaxing hideaway from the main town” 4 of 5 stars

El Fayrouz
Gezira el Bairat, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #21 of 57 hotels in Luxor
Sydney, Australia
“An enjoyable, relaxing hideaway from the main town”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2012

I enjoyed my stay at El Fayrouz even though my arrival was unexpectedly eventful. Before I had even unpacked the door handle to my bathroom had detached and had I found myself locked within. Fortunately I had left the room door open and could shout for help. Though had it been closed I imagined I would have been stuck in there for a long time. Thankfully the door was quickly repaired and I didn’t experience any further problems with it.

My room was a little worn and basic but very spacious. It included a writing desk, wardrobe and ceiling fan in addition to the air conditioning. The bathrooms too were very large and were supplied with towels but no soap. Hot water was good but the shower pressure was a little weak. Surprisingly for the value room rates there was daily room cleaning.

All meals are taken in the outdoor, rear garden that is very tranquil if a little shabby. I would recommend packing some insect repellent for the evening dinners as there plenty of mosquitos. The restaurant has a good reputation with the Luxor expat English and German communities and unfortunately the menu reflects that with a strong selection of western food. This was disappointing as I was hoping for some Egyptian or North African specialities. But most of the non-western food was just generic Middle Eastern staples that can be found anywhere in the greater region. Breakfast was filling and of quality as long as you were not expecting an American style hot breakfast.

On a side note the hotel had wifi but it was quite unreliable and was often out of service. I think the internet connection was fine but it was the router they used that needs replacement. I also found the Egyptian owner (whose name escapes me) friendly, helpful and more than happy to answer to numerous questions I had.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo

93 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Johannesburg, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

i dont normally write reviews of hotels were i have stayed but i feel compelled to write a review of this place. i loved loved loved this hotel. Everything of this hotel was amazing, it has stunning views from the top, the staff are sincerely hospitable, the rooms have character and the restaurant garden has an authentic charm to it. i loved it here.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Bournemouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2012

Sadly I had to wait a long time to return to this hotel, last visited February 2011 - yes in the middle of the revolution (see my previous epistle). We had the same room, the yellow domed one on the top floor, I'm sure all those stairs did me good in the long run....

I don't think I want to stay anywhere else in Luxor but a good friend is doing his utmost to tempt me. Watch this space.

The restaurant is simply fab. and the cheapest I found and the breakfast really sets you up for the day. I loved the rice pudding served with breakfast and also recommend the garlic steak. I think the main part of the bill was for fresh lemon at LE4.50.and beer is also available at LE11 (I think) but I don't drink so that's not an issue for me, but I guess it could be for some.

One of the real treats for me was the presence of several kittens who will no doubt grow up too soon but were being well looked after by mum who often arrived with goodies for them to eat (a gecko amongst other things), I just hope they get used to people and manage to socialise ok.

I used to love taking the local ferry to the East Bank but it was always a real treat to return to El Fayrouz for a peaceful night's sleep. Mind you the frogs were about the loudest thing and they were not evident last year.

Room Tip: They are all good if you're reasonably mobile and not expecting a lift.
essex
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2012

Off the main street to the ferry down a dirt track road and there it stands it was my 2nd visit so I knew what to expect and I wasnt disappointed. Greeted with a smile a cool drink and as if we were family returning home not just guests.
The garden restaurant is beautiful the birds sing, plenty of greenery and loads of shade and with the cheapest menu we found in luxour the food very good and plenty of choice.

Amsterdam, The Netherlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 25, 2012

A wonderful place to go when the hassle of Luxor becomes too much to deal with. We only ate at the garden restaurant, I cannot say anything about El Fayrouz, the hotel. The restaurant is lovely, the garden tranquil, filled with greenery and birdsong and lots of shade. The most extensive and cheapest menu we found anywhere in Luxor. The food is fine, average, tasty, simple stuff. Soups, salads (the seasonal salad with dressing was delicious) and typical Egyptian dishes like kebab and kofta are good. Western style dishes - lasagne, moussaka etc. are 'versions of' - tasty, but not the same as at home. The meat dishes, steak, turkey etc. were a little tough. Wine (EGP 15 a glass) and beer (EGP 11) available. A very popular place, always full in the evenings.

Bristol
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2012

You'll find the El Fayrouz Hotel down a little dirt track 5 mins walk from the ferry, on the West Bank. First impressions were great: they let us check in way earlier that would be normal.
There's a wonderful garden out back were food, drinks (beer too) and sheshas are available at very reasonable prices. The team there are friendly and professional, doing everything they can to accommodate. There is also a lovely, large roof terrace, with views across Luxor in all directions. Up there is the perfect place for a beer whilst marvelling at the sunset over the Theban Hills. They can organise tours, bike rental, etc. but at no point did any of the team try and sell us any of those tours. If you want those services though, they're available. Thanks to the whole team for making us so welcome! Chris and Sandy

Room Tip: Go for one of the rooms up on the roof if you can - sunbathing, sundowners and star watching will al...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Al Ain, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 23, 2012

Wonderful little place. The style of the building is quaintly Arabesque with a great roof to relax on and get some sun. Rooms basic, but clean. Staff friendly and very helpful. It is in a very 'local' street on the West Bank of Luxor, so away from the 5* prices and hassle. It is peaceful and has a wonderful garden to relax and get away from the madness Luxor can be! Food is excellent, worth a trip just for that. (and you can get a cold beer!) Love the fires in the chilly winter evenings too. one of my favourite West Bank places.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to El Fayrouz? Share your experiences!