“wonderful day” 5 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   West Bank | Hager Al Dabbeya, Luxor 23502, Egypt   |
Ranked #7 of 57 hotels in Luxor
“wonderful day”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

I and an Egyptian friend spent the day here in October. Enjoyed a lazy day by the pool and a lovely lunch. The service was excellent as was the food. My thanks to all concerned for a wonderful day. I will certainly visit again on my next visit to Luxor.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

161 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Luxor
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

A beautiful and peaceful place. Although we did not stay (my friends and I are local) we know the hotel well and have seen the rooms many times. We went this week for a special birthday lunch and were not disappointed. Eating by the pool was delightful and, as usual, the food was 5* as was the service. A wander around the gardens is always a joy, peeping into the little courtyards surrounding the accommodation. The colours of the plants was striking. This hotel has been so well thought out, the decor is stunning arabesque-style and the whole ambience is charming.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

We moved from our boat on the Nile to have two nights at the Al Moudira. We arrived to a welcome hibiscus drink and were shown to our junior Suite which was huge ! We appeared to be the only guests at the hotel and enjoyed the swimming pool and the sunshine. The only slight downside being the temperature of the pool and the flies though the handy fly swats made of palm leaves were helpful. We enjoyed dinner in the courtyard with drinks in the quirky bar before hand including a mojito which my husband said was excellent. Dinner was fish with brown rice which was very filling. We had very helpful staff during our stay and only wished that we could have stayed longer. The masseur gave a very fullsome massage to my husband and he made use of the Hammam during our stay.

Room Tip: We had a junior suite no 45 which was on a corner. Some of the rooms were smaller and lacked outside...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
moudira, Manager at Al Moudira Hotel, responded to this review, March 10, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Tripadvisor. We regret very much, that we were unable to heat the pool during your stay, due to a fuel shortage in Luxor. Unfortunately, the current situation is sometimes making life difficult for us and we hope for your understanding.
With our very best regards.
Selkirk, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Why would you want to stay anywhere else in Luxor? This beautiful, stylish and unique hotel is a collection of spacious, traditional domed roofed suites set among colourful and lushly planted courtyards and terraces with tinkling fountains and linked by a quirky 'crazy paving' path of multi coloured ceramic tiles. The careful attention to detail is extraordinarily stylish, from the 'egyptian art nouveau' style period metal dish for nuts to accompany a pre - dinner drink to the lovingly restored period architectural features such as the delicate fretwork of a wooden 'mashrabiyya' screen that provides an impressive focal point in the exquisite open air dining courtyard. With the practicalities at reception dealt with quiet and charming efficiency, I was escorted to my accommodation, and what accommodation....! A very spacious dome roofed suite consisted of a delightful combination of bedroom with a king size canopied bed and comfortable sitting area large enough for several people to relax in ( and watch TV if desired). A further dressing room with a large beautifully decorated period wardrobe led to a very spacious dome roofed bathroom, fully and exquisitely tiled with tiny coloured glass roof - lights set into the dome and placed strategically above the semi - sunken bath. Fresh egyptian cotton bedlinen, soft fluffy towels and dressing gowns, fresh flowers, fragrant toiletries all combined to create a relaxing and luxurious experience. A complimentary drink beside the charming pool at sunset preceeded a delightful dinner enjoyed in a cosy intimate dining room just off the main open air dining courtyard ( it was a cool January evening) with friendly and attentive staff. After a very peaceful and refreshing night's sleep, breakfast of fresh fruit and juices, croissants, pastries, yoghurt and omelette was offered in another intimate open air courtyard filled with fragrant shrubs and birdsong and so I reluctantly left the tranquil atmosphere of this very special oasis - a little bit of paradise on earth - to continue my travels. There is no doubt I will return again and again in the future and for longer spells because I have found without doubt the most amazing and unique hotel that creates a perfect setting for relaxation and tranquility that I have ever come across. All this for 160 euros per night (Jan 2013) although I am sure it is a variable rate, and dinner, wine and drinks for 2 was about 180 euros. Excellent value and perfect for a honeymoon couple or a special anniversary celebration as well as those who prefer privacy and tranquility.

Room Tip: Suites on the right side of the hotel are nearest to the pool
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Bristol, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We only spent one night and day here just before we flew home to London. This was after having previously spent 15 days staying in assorted hotels along the Nile including Aswan, Luxor and a top hotel in Cairo, as well as cruising for a few days in a beautiful Dahabiya. In our opinion, this outshone the others although they were either good or very good. This was because it was original, charming and stylish with lovely rooms and fountain courtyards plus a good looking swimmimg pool. The quiet, the greenery, the sound of birdsong and water made a welcome change from the heat, dust, hustle and bustle elsewhere in Egypt and the room was very beautiful. The staff were, of course, very welcoming as you would hope, although rather sadly we were the only guests there that night. However, this was the story of much of our trip to Egypt in the first two weeks of January 2013 as tourists have yet to return after the the pre referundum protests about the Constitution. All seems settled now post the referendum and anyway, it was also clear that the media focus on Tahrir Square was not representative of Cairo let alone the remainder of Egypt. It's a great time to see the truly amazing ancient history of Egypt without the massive throngs of tourists and if you are careful, you dont need to have an upset stomach either - so the next couple of years could be a great time to come to Egypt.
Altough the hotel is a few miles from downtown Luxor, taxis are easily arranged and inexpensive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
moudira, Manager at Al Moudira Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you and this means a lot to us, especially, as we are finally (slowly) recovering after the hard times of the revolution. Every positive comment about Egypt and Al Moudira Hotel is greatly appreciated.
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were curious to see this hotel, as the photo's look so lovely. We made quite a long journey there from Luxor, just to have dinner there one evening. In the dark,it looked like a remote and very rural area. When we arrived the hotel was very quiet and I thought for a while we would be the only ones there. We entered the dining room, where there were two other couples. At no point were there more than 4 tables occupied.
I missed the warm greeting that you usually receive from everybody in Egypt. Instead the waiter spoke in whispers and made us feel rather uncomfortable. As they later had to confirm my order and then got it wrong for the desert, I think they must have been having as much of a problem hearing me, as I was them. The food though good seemed very western. We had a salad to start, which was a large bowl of rocket,, this was a bit tough, with orange slices and a sesame seed dressing. The dressing was tasty but the salad itself, was monotonous. The chicken we had was served with mashed potatoes and the fish with rice.It all came plated up as a meal, rather the more usual Egyptian style, of dishes to help yourself from.
My partner had honey cakes for desert and they came dripping in honey which he had with vanilla ice-cream. I ended up sharing these with him, as they were lovely and the waiter forgot to bring my desert until I reminded him.
We asked to look round the hotel and to see rooms. I have been frequent visitor to Luxor and could have decided to stay there another time. But this request was refused.( I made a similar request at the Hilton when there just for a drink and was given a hour long guided tour to every part of the hotel.)
When I went looking for the loo and was a bit delayed by not being able to find it easily, I returned to find the waiter standing by the door, as if he believed I was up to no good.
All in all, a not very pleasant evening and quite expensive. I won't be booking a stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Didn't see them.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
moudira, Manager at Al Moudira Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
It is customary for us to show rooms to our visitors if they ask. We very much regret that your visit did not meet your expectations. We value hospitality and that our guests feel welcome. Thank you for your review and we will follow up with the department heads on this issue, in order to ensure our best service.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My partner and I spent three days in this wonderful palace. It is enchanting. The design is tastefully unique and charming and it offers a exquisite change from traditional 5 star chains.
Sadly, due to the political situation in Egypt, we were almost the only clients at the time and the hotel was running well below capacity. The pool consequently was not as clean as may be it is in full season but that was not a major issue.
We stayed in a deluxe room, which felt like a room from the one thousand and one nights tale. It had so much character, I felt like a princess. The pictures do not give justice to the feel of the place. The restaurant was great, some dishes were just outstanding! However, i would stay clear of the pizza on the pool lunch menu, as it was nothing special.
The place is isolated and is a heaven for relaxation. The only noise to be heard is that of bird and the Egyptian countryside, which I found delightful. The valley of the kings /Queens/ nobles is not far, as well as Habu temple, and the Al Moudira makes for a good base to go and explore these parts.
All in all, we absolutely loved it and would recommend it highly!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Al Moudira Hotel? Share your experiences!