“"A beautiful oasis"” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #6 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
Bristol, UK
“"A beautiful oasis"”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We only spent one night and day here just before we flew home to London. This was after having previously spent 15 days staying in assorted hotels along the Nile including Aswan, Luxor and a top hotel in Cairo, as well as cruising for a few days in a beautiful Dahabiya. In our opinion, this outshone the others although they were either good or very good. This was because it was original, charming and stylish with lovely rooms and fountain courtyards plus a good looking swimmimg pool. The quiet, the greenery, the sound of birdsong and water made a welcome change from the heat, dust, hustle and bustle elsewhere in Egypt and the room was very beautiful. The staff were, of course, very welcoming as you would hope, although rather sadly we were the only guests there that night. However, this was the story of much of our trip to Egypt in the first two weeks of January 2013 as tourists have yet to return after the the pre referundum protests about the Constitution. All seems settled now post the referendum and anyway, it was also clear that the media focus on Tahrir Square was not representative of Cairo let alone the remainder of Egypt. It's a great time to see the truly amazing ancient history of Egypt without the massive throngs of tourists and if you are careful, you dont need to have an upset stomach either - so the next couple of years could be a great time to come to Egypt.
Altough the hotel is a few miles from downtown Luxor, taxis are easily arranged and inexpensive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
moudira, Manager at Al Moudira Hotel, responded to this review, January 21, 2013
Thank you and this means a lot to us, especially, as we are finally (slowly) recovering after the hard times of the revolution. Every positive comment about Egypt and Al Moudira Hotel is greatly appreciated.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

We were curious to see this hotel, as the photo's look so lovely. We made quite a long journey there from Luxor, just to have dinner there one evening. In the dark,it looked like a remote and very rural area. When we arrived the hotel was very quiet and I thought for a while we would be the only ones there. We entered the dining room, where there were two other couples. At no point were there more than 4 tables occupied.
I missed the warm greeting that you usually receive from everybody in Egypt. Instead the waiter spoke in whispers and made us feel rather uncomfortable. As they later had to confirm my order and then got it wrong for the desert, I think they must have been having as much of a problem hearing me, as I was them. The food though good seemed very western. We had a salad to start, which was a large bowl of rocket,, this was a bit tough, with orange slices and a sesame seed dressing. The dressing was tasty but the salad itself, was monotonous. The chicken we had was served with mashed potatoes and the fish with rice.It all came plated up as a meal, rather the more usual Egyptian style, of dishes to help yourself from.
My partner had honey cakes for desert and they came dripping in honey which he had with vanilla ice-cream. I ended up sharing these with him, as they were lovely and the waiter forgot to bring my desert until I reminded him.
We asked to look round the hotel and to see rooms. I have been frequent visitor to Luxor and could have decided to stay there another time. But this request was refused.( I made a similar request at the Hilton when there just for a drink and was given a hour long guided tour to every part of the hotel.)
When I went looking for the loo and was a bit delayed by not being able to find it easily, I returned to find the waiter standing by the door, as if he believed I was up to no good.
All in all, a not very pleasant evening and quite expensive. I won't be booking a stay in this hotel.

Room Tip: Didn't see them.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
moudira, Manager at Al Moudira Hotel, responded to this review, January 20, 2013
It is customary for us to show rooms to our visitors if they ask. We very much regret that your visit did not meet your expectations. We value hospitality and that our guests feel welcome. Thank you for your review and we will follow up with the department heads on this issue, in order to ensure our best service.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2013

My partner and I spent three days in this wonderful palace. It is enchanting. The design is tastefully unique and charming and it offers a exquisite change from traditional 5 star chains.
Sadly, due to the political situation in Egypt, we were almost the only clients at the time and the hotel was running well below capacity. The pool consequently was not as clean as may be it is in full season but that was not a major issue.
We stayed in a deluxe room, which felt like a room from the one thousand and one nights tale. It had so much character, I felt like a princess. The pictures do not give justice to the feel of the place. The restaurant was great, some dishes were just outstanding! However, i would stay clear of the pizza on the pool lunch menu, as it was nothing special.
The place is isolated and is a heaven for relaxation. The only noise to be heard is that of bird and the Egyptian countryside, which I found delightful. The valley of the kings /Queens/ nobles is not far, as well as Habu temple, and the Al Moudira makes for a good base to go and explore these parts.
All in all, we absolutely loved it and would recommend it highly!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Poole, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 31, 2012

Whilst staying at the Sheraton Hotel this year we decided to check out the competition and made our way to the West Bank for lunch at the Al Moudira Hotel. The grounds and decor are enchanting. It was sadly lacking in clientelle, but that can be said of many establishments in Luxor given the general absence of tourists. We stayed for lunch, the menu was not terribly exciting and had an american feel to it, however, the chicken skewers and frites were perfectly acceptable and filled a hole! If you are looking for peace, tranquility and beautiful surroundings the Al Moudira is just the place for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
San Diego, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 13, 2012

A hidden jewel deep on the west bank. If you want a place to write, read or relax this is it. The suites are huge the silence was bliss. Amazing restaurant. A great place to unwind after touring the tombs and ruins .

• Stayed February 2012, traveled solo
Pretoria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

What a marvelous hotel, the setting and the energy is incredible, I spent five days there, at first the location seemed remote but it was really the perfect spot for me to enjoy Egypt, it was a bit like being back in time.
The hotel is on the Nile's west bank, the town of Luxor is on the east bank so there isn't much in way of conveniences but I wasn't there for this, this way I enjoyed all the riches of the ancient Egypt and in some way I have been able to connect with the place.
The hotel in itself is charming with a nice swimming pool and tastefully decorated in arabo-pharaonic style.
My room was spacious and everything was working fine and very clean.
The gardens are nice of course but I was more attracted to the minerality of the place, the desert and the mountains.
The restaurant was quite good and it is really enjoyable at night under the clear sky and the stars.
The staff was competent enough and very polite not at all pushy like some are in Egypt.
I really had a wonderful time there and I think it makes me appreciate all the more the treasures I came to see, it is a must in itself I say.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Weybridge, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2012

What a great place to stop, relax, eat good food and have access to Luxor. The service was excellent, the food great. The pool is refreshing in the egyptian sun. The room was wonderful. Highly recommended.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Al Moudira Hotel? Share your experiences!