“Unexpectly wonderful restaurant” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Late Night
Chichester, United Kingdom
“Unexpectly wonderful restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were in Luxor last November and always like to support local businesses. Our very nice taxi driver suggested this restaurant, that had only been open a week, so we thought we'd give it a go. After driving down an unmade road, we got out and found ourselves in the most beautiful courtyard. We were shown all around the premises, everything was spotlessly clean, and the staff could not have been more polite and attentive. We were the only people there as it was so new, so atmosphere was not exactly bustling but we did get lots of attention from the management and staff! We ate like kings and all for the sum of about £10 and the lentil soup was the best I've ever had. So impressed, we went back again for our last evening in Luxor, and yet again had a fantastic feast and a wonderful time. All my very best wishes to the restaurant and hope you are managing to survive the drop in tourism to Egypt at the moment.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Aberdeen, United Kingdom
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2013

Traditional egyptian cuisine situated in the Karnak area of Luxor. Local taxi drivers will know where it is. It was one of the most beautiful places I'd ever seen. Food was spectacular. Definitely not to go a miss.

Visited June 2013
Leicester, United Kingdom
“Wonderful setting and good food, what more can you ask for?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 2, 2013

Heard about Jana Restaurant, so decided to give it a try. Took a caleche from Luxor, and a pleasant ride down to Karnak. Jan can be found, second lane to the left after Hilton Hotel. A luminated sign points the way. Had the lentil soup followed by chicken tawook which is really a chicken kebab with onions and peppers. My husband a bit suspicious of Egyptian dishes so he chose spaghetti bolognaise. However when he saw my choice he wanted to swop - no way!

Enjoyed the meal so much went back the following day, this time hubby chose the chicken, which was delicious. I am not sure but caleche driver may have been paid a small commission for taking us there, they certainly looked after him and gave him coffee. Made me smile as he didn't know where the restaurant was, we had to show him!

• Visited March 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
“oasis in the desert”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 28, 2013 via mobile

due to unforseen circumstances I found myself alone in luxor. I asked taxi to take me to a nice restaurant he took me to Karnak down an alley we arrived at an 'oasis in the desert' Host amazing food lovely a bit too much for my wastline. Good place to eat, lovely decor amiable host.What more do you want. I wish them well.

• Visited April 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Scotland
“Our favourite Karnak Restaurant.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

We were staying the Nile Palace hotel in Luxor and asked our excellent taxi driver Mr Chips ( Alaa Yasin) to take us to a great restaurant that he knew. He said his uncle had a place called Jana with gardens and fountains which sounded great so insisted he took me there. This place is amazing, superbly clean and modern in the utmost tranquillity away from the madness of Luxor. The staff treated my wife and i like king and queen. the food was the best we had in Luxor or Karnak, big clean plates in a beautiful restaurant at a very good price indeed. Mr Chips sits outside the Nile Palace hotel in a clean tidy taxi, get him to take you here and you will love it. We had lentil and onion soup, Kofta Kebabs, chips, salad and various dips with pitta bread, we were very full when we left and i will definitely be back next year.

• Visited April 2013