“Charming place in a difficult time.” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Khalid Ibn el Walid Street, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #31 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
3.5 of 5 stars 257 Reviews
Cambridge, United Kingdom
“Charming place in a difficult time.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2013

I am going to be 100% honest. I arrived back in the uk last night, after 1 week at the Gaddis. The staff at this hotel really do save it as they are all wonderful. The reception staff, the guy on the door, the waiters, the shop, they are all great. I felt like we were true friends, and every time I passed they would ask after me, and we would have wonderful conversation. The rooms are a little shabby, but it does depend on what you want. If you want glitz and glamour, go to Milan or somewhere, not a middle eastern country in financial and economic decline....

My room had hot water, a very comfy bed, a tv, and all the usual bits. What more do you want as a base in Egypt?! It could do with a lick of paint, but so what!

This was my first time in Egypt, and I will not be returning for a while due to the struggle I had with the hassle from the locals. I was travelling alone, and I simply had NO peace from any of them. Every step I took outside was followed by another Caleche driver or taxi or beggar saying they worked in the kitchen or they knew me. I have been in many countries where people hassle, but here a simple "La Shukran" does not work, I was hounded for my entire journey, lost lots of money and came home exhausted. Until the tourist police sort this out, I will sadly not go back, as I go on holiday to relax, not get stressed!! This saddens me as Egypt is a stunning country with lots to offer, and I spent time in Cairo, and both banks in Luxor, amazed at what I saw there. But the nice people in my opinion are being shadowed by the nasty people outside who see you as a walking wallet. I FULLY understand the crisis they are going through, but by being so aggresive in their technique, they are actually driving people away. But thank goodness for the Gaddis. I was happy to return there each night.

Thanks guys

Room Tip: Wifi gets non existent after 3rd floor....
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

Just returned from a stay at the Gaddis. First impressions are not greatest, the Hotel is very dated and all the rooms could do with a lick of paint. The pool is small and doesn't get much sun but its a cool place to relax in the afternoon. However, the good points outway the bad by far, and this hotels major plus is the staff who are all friendly and seem to really get to know you, nothing is too much trouble. My room was cleaned and I was given fresh sheets and towels every day. The food was, in my opinion, really good, and fresh. No English breakfasts here, but there is juice, tea and coffee, as much as you want and salad, felafal, fuull beans and mashed potato on offer as well omelettes, eggs and toast. The evening meals have more variety and as before, are freshly cooked and tasty. The karaoke evening on Saturdays shouldn't be missed and the waiters are all great. Said the doorman deserves a special mention as do all the lovely daytime reception staff. If you are looking for luxury, don't stay here, but for fun on a budget it can't be beaten.

Room Tip: If you are on the main road side you will get traffic all night, if poolside, you may be woken up by...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Warwick, England, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2013

I'm appalled by the review given by Sammylucy2 as this can't be further from the truth. Strange how his review only came out 3 months after his visit. A grudge with Thomas Cook I can understand but to describe the Gaddis Hotel in such terms is dishonest.
On both of my recent visits to the Gaddis I found the lift to be fine, there were locks to both the main door and the balcony door to a comfortable 'clean' room. Bed linen was changed every day by 4 friendly staff and soaps and shampoos were also provided each day, as were clean towels.
Air conditioning was also fine, as was the shower.
His words contain no truth from what I've seen at the Gaddis in 2 recent visits. I first went there alone in December last year, half board and although the food was nothing to write home about, I found the rooms perfectly OK and the staff fabulous. I enjoyed my stay there so much that I returned with my daughter for 2 weeks end of March, beginning of April. We both had a great time and it's location being away from the centre of Luxor yet within easy reach of all shops, sites, cafes etc made it almost the perfect hotel. I say almost because the breakfast could do with improving. Another problem is the swimming pool that could do with heating.
Now this hotel has an Egyptian feel to it and I find that a welcoming feature as all the other hotels in Luxor could be anywhere. Concrete enclosures with little character.
The Gaddis is a comfortable hotel and in no way should be considered as one with a reputation or one that should be closed.

Room Tip: Talk to the staff at the reception about rooms. Consider that the front of the hotel will have traff...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2013 via mobile

Xmas eve and Xmas day , in the most dreadful ,dirty, foul,so called hotel in the word , and I have traveled all my 83 years!,,this appalling place is a extreamly health risk and very dangerous , lift ,unsafe bear wires,no lock on door to room and belcony you are at risk iin the room and your belongings when you are out!"bathroom" filthy shower broken, toilet? Don't ask !! Bed broken huge lumps on very thin dirty mattress ,pillows likewise and imprint of somebody's head on it !! Lights hanging off wall , air conditining unit hanging off wall over door far too huge for the room and held on by string and tape, when on filled the tiny already filthy room with dust and dead flys ! Belive me THIS is true!, I've contacted Thomas Cook who told me its Xmas holiday and they said they could not help as it was Xmas !!!!!!i asked thro my great dispair and tears to be moved ,,they moved me to another dreadful room, ....I left! I borrowed £800 from friends in London and moved into the st George sonesta , dear god ... Heaven! The manager told me that the Gaddis "had a reputation "and"should be closed " since back I contacted Hoilday programms at the BBC and ABTA both are investigating , t cook offered me a full, FULL refund of .....£119!!!!!which they said is what it cost them ,I was charged by t cook in lewisham London £895 for that hotel and half board!! Which gave them ,at great distress to me and huge debt a profit of at least £570!!!!so avoid TCook and at all costs. The dreadful dirty flea pit know at the GADDIS "hotel" I am more than happy to stand by all this statement on oath , you ave been warned!!!! Ray Edwards , London I survived!!!! Just.

• Stayed December 2012
Slough, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013

Definitely not the Ritz, (a bit old and faded) but fantastic value for money The friendly staff cannot do enough to help. Half-board recommended, the dinner is excellent. Rooms clean, beds comfortable, water hot.That is what we want from an hotel Do visit Luxor, it needs tourists - we had temples, tombs etc. almost to ourselves. We felt very safe. And watched sunset over the Nile from the roof. But do take ear-plugs, there are mosques all round including one right next door, (you don't want to be woken early........ But it adds to local colour). A fantastic holiday.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Normanton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

needs to find what level of service it is offering breakfast vary eggs juice cornflakes if quiet to basic fair if lower paying guests passing through some parts of hotel in need of TLC upgrade to half board food well cooked staff are great and go out of their way to provide good service i would not hesitate to use this hotel again handy for public ferry to west bank stayed in a single room need to flexible to use the toilet i stayed for 4 weeks

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Sheffield, England, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

Wow where do I start. This is my first ever review. I thought I would write one after my holiday as I rely so much on the reviews of other people before I book.

We were on a budget and wanted a last minute holiday and this place came up in a cheap package. I was fully aware of the below average reviews this place got.

So we landed at Gladdis March 2013 to find a disgusting apartment with 2 bedrooms and 5 beds made out of the cheapest wood and 1 inch mattresses. We asked to be moved as there was 2 of us not 5! They moved us to another room which was a little better but not much.

I have taken pics of this room. Please remember this is actually the best room in the hotel - we viewed 5 before picking this one.

The food was disgusting and cheap. The staff were bloody crazy. Offered drugs by many of them. ALL expected a tip for NOTHING.

Room Tip: Demand a nice room.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Gaddis Hotel, Suites and Apartments? Share your experiences!