“Never Again” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #52 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
Royal Oak, Michigan
“Never Again”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

My boyfriend and I needed a cheap hotel to spend one night in Luxor before we left by train the next day. Since the hotel was located right next to the train station we decided to stay here.

I have never stayed in a more disgusting hotel room in all of my life. I am pretty sure the carpet had not been cleaned in years, it was full of dirt and trash. The pillow was dirty and so were the towels and when we asked for new ones they were just as bad. The bathroom was also disgusting with hair in the sink and dirt in the shower. Also, the bathroom door did not shut properly meaning you had to hold it closed.

The woman who worked at the counter was nice enough, but that cannot make up for the how disgusting the room was.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple

Families
Peterborough, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2011

I have now stayed at this hotel twice, the most attractive feature of this hotel is its proximity to the Railway station. The rooms were reasonable size and in acceptable condition. As we only needed a place for sleeping this was perfect for the purpose of our visit. The big downside is that though breakfast is included in the price, the food (if we could call it that) was simply awful..just dried bread with a cup of tea and cheese! There is a wonderful bakery right next door with delicious cakes--perfect if you are not worried about piling on the pounds!

On my second visit, I noticed there were two very lively bars/clubs operating with very loud music which you can't escape. This goes on until about 1 or 2am! There is a swimming pool (open air) which I never had the chance to use but looked ok.

Overall, I would recommend this basic but decent hotel at the price (we paid 60 Egyptian pounds per night!) you can't complain about!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Boston, Massachusetts
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2010

DO NOT SAY IN THIS HOTEL IT IS TERRIBLE. i have there last week and i was drinking i heer near the swimming pool while talking with the manager named Ibrahim. I went to the toilet for not more that 5 minutes and left my mobile on the table since i felt that the manager himself was nearby and no one else was there. When i came back my mobile was gone and Ibrahim also was gone. The brother of Ibrahim named Ramadan was there but i soon realised that he was part of this game as he told me that his brother left for the day and that he did not take the mobile. I went to reception to explain to them the situation and they said that the staff around the swimming pool is not part of the same management of the hotel himself. They could not help me. There is a lot of noice there at night and it is difficult to sleep and I also heard that Ibrahim and Ramadan use the facilities to sell drugs so there are many police raids there. I would suggest everyone to stay away from that rubbish hotel.

Claude

• Stayed June 2010, traveled solo
Scotland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2008

The rudest staff in the world and very unclean and run down. I have stayed in some terrible hotels and hostels in my lifetime but this takes the biscuit. Would rather sleep on the street than here. AWFUL!!!!!!

• Liked — Not a thing.
  • Disliked — Everything
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2008

I stayed at the New Radwan with some friends several years ago, after an archaeological dig. After a couple of months in a trench, the small outdoor pool was the height of luxury, and it was lovely to come back to after a warm summer morning of sightseeing. It's walled off from the street, so you don't need to worry about your bathing offending Muslim sensibilities.
Our room was clean and bright, with a well-maintained washroom. The decor isn't up to western standards, but the hotel was clean and the staff were helpful. The west bank tour they arranged was good.

• Liked — The cleanliness and the pool.
  • Disliked — The aged decor.
  • Stayed August 2004, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
UK
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2007

The last time Dr. Abu inspected the New Radwan Hotel he must have been loosing his eyesight. I suggest he goes again and amends his list of amenities.

As regular traveller to Luxor, with an avid interest in the tombs and temples, and a person who just books a flight and goes, I found the New Radwan 6 years ago on arrival with my partner. Since our split, I have not let my interest in Luxors ancient history stop me from visiting , but I have realized that it has definately changed my experiences to a depressing level. Initially I was enchanted with the hotel and its position next door to a lovely mosque, and it was very handy for the station, my room was also satisfactory, initially I was impressed with the staff, over the years I have since stayed on 3 more occasions and I have formed a very different impression of the hotel. After November 06 I will not stay at this hotel again, or recommend it to any of my friends.
The description of the hotel is totally innacurate for the following reasons, some minor, some quite alarming - I will leave it to you to decide which catergory these reasons fall into :

1. There is no indoor pool, a small cold outdoor one.

2. Sometimes the live entertainment /belly dancing goes on until 4.30 am in the morning. No soundproofing, so expect to be awake most of the night. I was very annoyed at 3 consecutive nights of this noise, and exhausted when it was time to get up in the morning to go on my trips.

3. When I asked for a safety deposit box I was told that they did not have any, The only safety deposit boxes the hotel has is the one in the managers office, who will kindly offer to keep your money for you, which is arkward as it means you have to socialize with him to get your money. I would not recommend this unproffessional way, that no other hotel in my experience has ever suggested. I felt totally uncomfortable with this arrangement and it did not help when I realized that the balcony door to my room had a broken lock, when I informed the manager I was told not to be concerned as no one wwould steal from me.

4. There is no official currency exchange, or the proffessional approach that other hotels offer with this service. On my arrival I did not have enough egyptian money to pay for my room in full, so I said I would pay for a few days initially ,and when I had exchanged my money I would pay the outstanding. The manager was insistant on collecting my money for me to be helpful, feeling under pressure I gave him 200 pounds, three hours later I was told he was back with my money, he shrugged my request for a receipt of exchange off, so I assumme I did not receive the official exchange rate.

5. To my shock and dissapointment this last november 2006, my brother and a friend stayed at the hotel, and when I visited them, I realized that 'Two actual ladies of the night' were actually working on site, one dressed in jeans and a baseball cap who also spoke no english and waited on during the daytime around the pool. I could not believe it.

I have come to the conclusion that this hotel is definately not acceptable for lady travellers. If I had not allready payed for my trip up front during my last visit I would have left the premises. When I sit and reflect on the unbelievable things that occurred during my last visit to the hotel I am astounded.

On my return to the hotel in the afternoons, i would like to relax for a while and have a coffee near the pool, obviously out of politeness I would have a basic general chat with the staff member who served me, who informed me he also had a government job of accountancy as well as this postion , he appeared to be quite an intellegent man, he said he would like to invite me for a meal, and he would cook me chicken tagin, he explained what this meal consisted of, then to my amazement he said 'yes, we can have a meal, and a drink , and have sex, EXCUSE ME! ! !, I thought I had just imagined that he said that, so I asked him to repeat himself to be sure I had heard correctly. Then I informed him that I did not drink , and most certainly did not go around having sex with men that I had only just met. I never spoke to him again and unplugged the phone to my room so that I did not have to keep giving excuses on my return to the hotel. What a nightmare situation. And one I could not afford to get out of as I had allready paid upfront for my room. I decided it was necessary to avoid contact . I realized that they could not comprehend I was not interested in unsavoury affairs, and I was actually returning to Luxor because of my interest in the tombs and temples. Obviously I had a small budget , which is why I had chosen to stay at this hotel and not one of the higher ranking hotels bokked through travel agents.Travelling alone, I assummed I would feel more comfortable if I stayed at the same hotel. On hindsight I realized this was a mistake.

The last night of my visit the hotel manager asked if he could speak with me as it was very important, I felt abit concerned as he had also insisted that I join him one evening on my return to the hotel for a welcome drink. He was quite insistant to talk with me, so I agreed to have a drink with him at the side of the pool, he wanted to know when I would return to egypt again, I said I did not no, he said he wanted to know so that he could arrange a contract with me, I was confused, I asked if I had understood him correctly and was he infact asking me to marry him? yes he said, this is correct, I was most alarmed and realized that I had to be assertive, I informed him I was aware that he was allready married with a wife and five children, this is not a problem he informed me, he could have a contract with me also, I informed him that he was on a highway to nowhere and our conversation was over, I went straight up to my room , packed my suitcase and departed immediately without breakfast, only returning to collect my suitcase the following afternoon.

It is a shame and extremely dissapointing how this lovely hotel has now deteriorated due to the appalling management decisions and standard s of behaviour.

Stayed November 2005
spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2006

my experience at hotel was genial, my friend and me we loved this hotel. staff and service very lovely.i reccomended it

Stayed August 2005

Been to New Radwan Hotel? Share your experiences!