For a history fan, a visit to Luxor is a dream come true. Such is the majesty and immensity of the monumental structures left behind by ancient Egyptians that everything else becomes secondary. Well, the experience at Steigenberger was slightly unreal too, but only because this huge top end hotel was practically empty. Complete sections were closed and made it seem a little eerie in the evenings. Of course, that is a factor of Luxor being empty at the moment due to the perception of uncertainty hanging over the nation. Luxor seems especially badly affected, and all the hotels on the way seemed to have few guests.
The hotel is on the east bank of the Nile, along with many others, including the iconic Winter Palace. It is one of the most southern of hotels, though very much within walking distance of the city centre. There are many shops right outside. One block faces the Nile, and there can be few things more relaxing than a view of the slender felucca-dotted Nile in the backdrop of the Valley of the Kings from your balcony. Curl up with a book and your favourite tipple, and relaxation is guaranteed.
Check was fairly fast. The Nile view room itself was, well, standard. Comfy bed, proper desk, decent wardrobe, living room set of a round table and couple of chairs, with a plate of complimentary sweets, a balcony overlooking the Nile. Aircon worked well. The TV had some international channels. Lights were okay. Few plug points. No slippers. Washroom spacious, amenities just okay. One unusual touch – a shoe horn in a drawer! Room could probably do with a little brightening up though. Just one shocker – no water – or indeed tea/coffee maker, though available at a nominal charge. Water, at low rates, is available in the shops just outside the hotel’s entrance. The door keys seemed to cause quite a few people hassles.
Due to paucity of guests, some of the restaurants were closed – though an Italian (Casa Di Napoli), a Lebanese (El Tarboush) and a French restaurant (Café Des Délices) – all outdoor, were operational. There is also a Movenpick ice cream counter in this open courtyard. Food was decent, and a group of us ordered fairly diverse choices. The food is pricier than options outside. Breakfast buffets at Nubian were good too, fairly extensive, with multiple continental choices. The perpetual favourite however – fresh, crisp, falafel with thick, delectable hummus. Two added sidelights to breakfast – a delightful bunch of sparrows will politely hover around to share your meal, and appreciate any crumbs going their way. Also, it is by the river, so again, the Nile will mesmerize. Surely a bonus?
The hotel is pretty extensive, with many open public areas. There seemed to be a largish retail area within the hotel, though a significant part seemed closed. The reception has an ATM, though rates are better at local exchanges, we were reliably informed. Wifi is charged except for in the bar, but then you have to get something there!
There is a clover leaf shaped pool, with many loungers, all ready for you to put to good use. Yes, a nice pre-lunch swim, followed by a post lunch snooze. Just a few metres from the pool, down a little culvert, is the Nile. There is also a health club and spa.
Staff was okay, English wasn’t always a language all staff understood, but you can get by with smiles and gestures. Though not the hotel’s fault at all, the absence of more guests leant an air of desolation. Hope tourists return in bulk again soon to make hotels like these regain their usual vivacity.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Welcome to Our Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor Hotel, It is a 5 stars hotel has a unique location amidst relics of a 7000-years-old civilization, in the heart of Luxor, only 1.5 Km. From the temple of Luxor and 10 Km. From Luxor Airport. Guests can enjoy a marvelous view of the mighty Nile in addition to the cliffs of the Theban Mountains on the western bank where the valley of kings and Queens lie. The hotel offers a variety of service and facilities, 11 conferences and break out rooms that can host up to 2000 participants, among other things. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets, Otel, TripOnline SA, Venere, Despegar.com, Travelocity, Odigeo and Tingo so you can book your Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Steigenberger Nile Palace Luxor Hotel Luxor
- Steigenberger Nile Palace Hotel Luxor
- Nile Palace Luxor
- Luxor Steigenberger Nile Palace
- Le Meridien Luxor
- Nile Palace Hotel Luxor