“Excellent hotel but beware demands for tips” 5 of 5 stars

Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cornesh El Nile Street, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #10 of 57 hotels in Luxor
Lancashire, England
“Excellent hotel but beware demands for tips”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2010

I have just returned from a two week stay at the Sonesta. Although I was a single traveller, I went there to meet up with a group of thirty others studying egyptology, so I feel I can give a relatively broad review.
I stayed here previously in November 2006 and had a wonderful trip. I completely echo all the other reviewers in that the hotel is of a very high standard and kept very clean in the rooms and the public area. The breakfast was amazing, with every choice catered for and was very good value, considering it was included in the price of the room.
Although some people ate dinner in one of the hotel restaurants, many of us went to some a short walk away, as they offered much better value for money. The Lantern, Snobs and Puddleducks were well patronised during the two week stay.
The pool area of the Sonesta is excellent and has expanded since my last stay. I had no problem with building work, despite being on the even numbered room side, which is the best side to be.
I would not recommend the internet access as it is VERY expensive.

However, problems arose on the evening before we left. I was subjected to what I could only describe as intimidation by the man who turns down the rooms. Despite having a 'Privacy Please' notice on my door he knocked loudly and would not take no for an answer. He wanted his tip. He waited outside of my room for about forty minutes and started knocking again. When I eventually left the room I had to put up with him shouting after me down the hallway. I mentioned this behaviour to others in my group and found that other single women had been made to feel uncomfortable by other housekeeping staff too. I made an official complaint and was assured that those involved would be dealt with severely. The manager was very apologetic, but I must say that this incident ruined the last night of what, up until then, had been a wonderful stay.
Having said this, I would not hesitate to stay there again but would be better prepared next time.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

1,044 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
Yorkshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2010

Exceptionally friendly and helpful staff, superior quality finishes, comprehensive breakfasts, added touches like a well-equipped gym and affordable bureau de change...this hotel is superior in every way.

It is true that one side of the hotel overlooks the water pumping station but the rooms on that side of the building look a little bit less worn as a result. Either way, all the rooms are very clean, towels are changed twice a day and there's even a bed turn-down service in the evening.

The location is also superior - the southern end of the Corniche is less fraught than the main drag with shops and restaurants nearby that are both affordable and a lot less hassle than the central souk.

To top it all, for most package tourists, the Sonesta St George is very affordable - two weeks there cost less than two days at a 4 star in London.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled solo
Westminster, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2010

I love staying in this hotel. The room was fastastic, very tastefully decorated! The bedding was great with fine white egyptian cotton. The bathroom was the best the i've seen. The bathtub was a spa, fully enclosed with water jets, foot massage, and steam. The large pool deck looks over the Nile river making me feel like i am on board of a large cruise ship. The buffet breakfast had many hot/cold selections of western, egyption, and even Japanese food. Wonderful stay and strongly recommended.

• Stayed January 2010
West Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2010

We stopped at this hotel for one week in July 2009. The hotel was excellent with the staff doing everything that they can to help. The pool staff were a real credit to this hotel, taking you to your loungers and giving you clean towels every day. There are around 5 restaurants inside the restaurant to choose from but we would recommend the Italian Restaurant, very reasonable and the food is fantastic.

Will definatly be visiting this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2009, traveled as a couple
Didim, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2010

Stayed there for 2 weeks in October with my 17 year old son. From the minute we stepped into the hotel the staff could not do enough for us. Our bags were carried to our immaculate and comfortable bedroom which was visited every evening to have our beds turned down and to ensure we had enough toiletries. There are several restaurants in the hotel and the only one we didn't try was the Japanese. The prices are more expensive here than eating out but we still managed to have two 3-course meals and drinks for well under £40. Room service is offered at a reasonable cost and served immaculately with a huge smile and friendly chat. The quality of the food is incredible and the service throughout the restaurants, bar and coffee shop was first class - the barman even remembered our order the next evening before we had even asked - and we had only been there on one previous occasion. We had booked bed and breakfast and had our eggs cooked in front of us freshly, the way we wanted them, every morning. The choice of buffet breakfast is vast and there is something to please everyone. The location of the hotel is superb - right in the heart of Luxor and was excellent value for money. I challenge any hotel in the UK to offer such friendly service in a clean, luxurious hotel, serving high quality food in the centre of a city for the same price. We slept like logs in our very comfy, clean beds and were glad of the air conditioning - even in October! Yes there is building work going on outside and it was just outside our room but had we not seen the construction going on, we wouldn't have known it was there as we were totally unaware of any noise. Everyone chatted to us each day, asking how our day went and giving us helpful tips and advice and we left the hotel feeling quite low knowing we would be unlikely to stay there again as this was the trip of a lifetime for us. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel - superb!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled with family
Birmingham
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2010

We stayed in this hotel for one week 1st week of December part of package tour by Thomson. Nice hotel, friendly staff.,good food, excellent Nile view from balcony. Entertainment shows were nice. Good value for money, down side is the nearby construction (noisy). I would recommend this hotel.

• Stayed December 2009, traveled as a couple
Kent
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2010

Entrance very impressive, the rooms were nice but by the paintwork looked as if they had been decorated in a hurry, but they were very clean and the cleaners came twice a day. One side of the hotel overlooks a shabby water pumping station, not a pretty sight, therefore ensure you are on the otherside facing the Nile Palace Hotel. Breakfast had a hugh choice and the food was very good. The buffet dinner was a bit disappointing as the food was not very hot, but as we were bed and breakfast we decided to try the Italian resturant which was very nice, but the drinks were expensive. We then found 3 restaurants outsdie the hotel The Lantern and Snobs both had lovely food, go right out of the hotel cross road and then first left. The Lantern is down this road on the right and Snobs on the left. Snobs does not serve alcohol but you can take your own in. The third resturant was Puddleducks again very nice food this is reached by turning left out of the hotel coss the road and then first right, go down this road and turn first right, the restaurant is on the corner. One word of warning do not make eye contact or talk to the hagglers you will never get away, and as far as the shoe shine boy is concerned don't go near him he will try and charge you 100EGP !!

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor? Share your experiences!