“Our fourth Happy Holiday here” 5 of 5 stars

Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Cornesh El Nile Street, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #10 of 57 hotels in Luxor
Brighton, United Kingdom
“Our fourth Happy Holiday here”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2012

Just returned from a two week stay here January 2012. The hotel is in a great location on the Nile,with views across to the West Bank. We ate at the Hotel Japanese Restaurant which is excellen, there are other restaurants in the hotel and Egyptian restaurants within walking distance in the area. The staff, are caring ,friendly and helpful in all areas and seemed genuinely pleased to see us. We were particularly impressed with Customer Services,always interested to know whether they could help us in anyway. A bowl of fruit was in the room on our arrival and my husband received a lovely cake on his birthday. We look forward to returning to the Hotel again,later this year

Room Tip: We prefer rooms on the waterworks side,as they have views over the River Nile to the West Bank which...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

1,053 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (195)
Thirsk, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

I have had 8 holidays so far in Luxor and seemed to have settled now on the Sonesta. There are other very nice hotels in Luxor but the Sonesta appears to be the most reasonably priced among the 5 stars. This time I went room and breakfast - bit of a gamble - but I think it was the right thing to do. You can have an excellent breakfast in the hotel - including freshly squeezed orange juice, the usual egg/omelet dishes and as much coffee as you can drink. Most evenings I ended up in the 'Lantern' - just over the road and round the corner. The cost of eating out was slightly less than the extra I would have paid for half board and I'm sure I enjoyed far better food. (Please look up my separate review of this most excellent establishment) I have been told the hotel's Japanese restaurant is very good, but so far as I could see it is quite pricey. The Gala Dinner on New Year's Eve was a most enjoyable affair.

I agree with what most other people say about the hotel, the swimming pool and the bedrooms. I had a side room that over-looked a site cleared for a new building but I also had a good side view of the Nile. I am sure the end rooms with a complete Nile view are wonderful but I am equally sure you pay a wonderful premium for the privilege! And yes, the rooms are kept very clean and the towels are replaced twice a day. I have stayed 3 times at this hotel and don't have any significant grumbles.

Now I would like to comment on those people who complain about the hassle they have got from taxi drivers and others outside the hotel. For goodness sake, this is North Africa and you need to understand you will get hassle were ever you go in North Africa. Tourism is down by a massive amount at the moment - due in the main to the Arab Spring of last year - and these people are absolutely desperate for business. No, it is not particularly pleasant but you have to learn to deal with it. You can of course choose to stay by the swimming pool all day and every day, but this would be a criminal waste of your holiday in my opinion.

Room Tip: The side rooms are fine, but if money is no object go for the end rooms that have a complete Nile vi...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2012

This was my 4th stay at the Sonesta and I have to say that its as great as it always has been. Very clean, great service and fantastic customer care. I didn't try the restaurants as I prefer to eat out but breakfast was first class (lots of food, variety, attentive staff and always fresh). Unfortunately the room service menu didn't offer a huge variety of food and what I did order was so-so, certainly not worth the price paid. The rooms have been updated although I can only comment on the Nile view rooms as I always have chosen them so please spend that little extra and pay for a Nile View room which has absolutely breathtaking views. Yes you do get hassled by caleche and taxi drivers as soon as you walk out of the hotel but it was the same now as 2 years ago. A polite no thankyou is enough and they tend to then leave you alone. Thank you to all the staff, especially Yustina (in Customer Relations) who made me feel very welcome as always at the Sonesta. I will definitely stay there again next time.

Room Tip: Definitely choose a nile-view room. There is some construction work going on the left and right sid...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Derbyshire
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

Stayed here in January 2012 for one week, which was lomg enough in this hotel. The hotel is very nice with very good staff, who are very pleasant. The only down side is the resturant, the menue is not great and is the same every night with no change over the wek we stayed there. There are very good cheep reasturants just up the main road outside the hotel. WE stayed full board but would suggest Bed & Breakfast as a better alternative and eat out, iy will be a lot cheaper. We Paid £2070 for two people for a week and could have saved a lot of money just staying B & B and to be honest this would be a much better bet. The drings are also expensive so buy at the local shops and bring it to your room at a quarter of the hotels price. The rooms are very good we stayed in a club room on 6th floor room 608 with side view of the nile. overall a good hotel just let down by the resturant, so stay B & B and eat out as the prices at outside resturants are very cheap and excellent food. We would never stay full board agai. Also be aware of the hassel of the locals once you step outside the hotel, they can be a pain all the time, and it does make trying to walk around a pain, you are continualy being harassed, but thats egypt. A trip to the valley of the kings can be had for about 200 egyption pounds about £20 if you shop around the taxi ranks, do not book it throught the hotel boats as it will cost you 300 Egyption pounds, thre are lots of offers around, and be aware of guides at the valley of the kings, do your own thing, and you will see more than a guide will show you. They just want to get you out as quickely as possible so they can get another "mug" to pay them for their time. If they say there is no charge for the tour they are lying and will hassel you for money at the end of the trip. Its a pity about all the hassel as it does spoil Egypt, and our taxi driver told us they have had three bad seasons with few visitors, and i think this is due to the hassel problems. Also Luxor itself is a "dump" once you leave to main roads and go into the local areas and thats putting it mildly. There are hundreds of horse and carriages as taxis and the horses wee and poo in the street and you can imagin the smell with the heat dring things up. We wont be going to Egypy again, there are better places to spend a holiday.

Room Tip: Rooms on the left are the best views
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

When we arrived we were immediately greeted by hotel staff to help with our luggage, these staff you don't really have to tip, but I found that I wanted to, which makes a huge difference. The reception is amazing with a beautiful chandelier. The hotel offered us a berry drink on the house of course! We were shown to our rooms, I got a room on the left side of the building and we could see over the Nile and see the Valley of the Kings which was lit up on an evening. My sister and her boyfriend were on the right side of the building which over looked an empty building site, which I assume will be a space for a new hotel, they could see the Nile though. We ordered room service (with a charge of 50p) just a couple of pizza's and chip and in wheeled a table with the food kept in a hot container under the table itself, the staff set out the cutlery and food for us. Unbelievable service, the staff could not do enough for you to the point in which I felt guilty. We ate at all of the restaurants and our favourite was the traditional Egyptian restaurant, all prices were very reasonable. During our stay there was a party going on, which was rumoured to be the owners wedding anniversary, this meant some of the outside area was closed off but this was fine and didn't disturb us at all.We will defiantly be returning to Sonesta St George.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Hong Kong
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

While I loved the Sonesta Nile cruise (Star Goddess), the hotel was a disappointment. We ended up moving rooms 3 times in order to get one that was decent (one room felt like you had to walk on a fire escape outside to get to it). The room we ended up with was located along the street, so it was quite noisy (you could hear the horses hooves from the carriages outside).

View over the river was nice and it was located in a decent area, but expected more based on Sonesta's service level with the cruise boats.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the river as it should be quieter
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
S.Wales
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

We have just returned from a holiday at The Sonesta St George in Luxor . This was a holiday with my husband and 12 year old Grandson. The hotel was all we expected and more as there are some mixed reviews. The staff throughout the hotel could not be faulted.We where allocated a front view Nile room . This is large for 2 persons but with 3 beds we opted to pay a surcharge for a larger room. This was a fair charge (but not a cheap one)and we where grateful for the extra space.It was a stunning suite with all the extras you would expect in the top room.Help from reception at all times all with a lovely smile .Thanks Mina and Nanette. The pool boys helpful fetching towels and making sure shade was available when needed. Thanks Michael.The Japanese Restaurant was outstanding .Thank you to you all.We ate there 4 times it was so good My grandson even got a try at some of the cooking with pictures to prove it. When we return to Luxor The Sonesta St George will be our first choice. Thank you for a lovely holiday to remember

Room Tip: Nile view or side Nile View are quieter . Nile View you get good views of west bank
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sonesta St. George Hotel Luxor? Share your experiences!