“Where are you, people?????!!!!!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Luxor Resort
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Al Awameya | PO Box 43, Luxor 83951, Egypt   |
Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
Cairo, Egypt
“Where are you, people?????!!!!!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2014

I flew into Luxor for a day of meetings and since I was early, I asked the driver to drop me off at the Sheraton and come back later to pick me up. Since I had an early start, I decided to have breakfast. And I was disappointed - but not entirely surprised - at the lack of guests. Egypt has really taken a beating by the western press and its tourism industry is the victim of that. And, of course, so is the Sheraton.

I was last here in December 2013. The breakfast choices were considerably larger with two different themes to choose from - western and oriental. Now the choice is western with a mix of Arabic. So you have the usual choices of sausages, scrambled or boiled eggs, beans, grilled tomatoes, etc., or omelettes and crepes, plus sweet rolls, salads (the Arabic breakfast of olives, cukes, tomatoes, pickled vegetables, etc.) and hummus and pita bread. So you still won't go away hungry.

Service is impeccable. Right there, offering coffee or tea or juice. Professional, quick and friendly. Breakfast was exactly LE100. That's exactly $14.37 at the official exchange rate at the bank. Or $13.59 at the street exchange. Not many places can offer you a buffet breakfast at that price.

I was going back to Cairo that evening so I didn't need a room. But my lodging experience at the Sheraton last December left nothing to be desired.

So it breaks my heart that here we are in the high season - 9 April - and it's a ghost town. For no reason except media drama and poor reporting.

Now is the time to visit Luxor - home of a third of the world's monuments. And it will never be cheaper and you certainly won't have to stand in line. If you want, dial through Cairo and focus on Upper Egypt, but come on! Give these people some business!

• Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
nahlyou, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, April 17, 2014
First,we would like to thank you for having your last visit at our hotel and taking the time to share with us your recent experience at Sheraton Luxor Resort and for having taken the time to write your heart review through TripAdvisors site.Your experience and comments are important to us, I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your stay, and you were generally happy with the staff services and the hotel facilities.
Thank you for your feelings towards Egypt,specially Luxor, it's very important it's safe and there is nothing to worry about, life is going on as it should be and according to the daily stable happenings.Again thank you for writing such a wonderful review on TripAdvisor.
Looking forward to welcome you again at Sheraton Luxor Resort
Nahla Youssef

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (228)
Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2014

Just spent 5 weeks at the Sheraton. For those of you who have stayed there before not a lot has changed, all the staff are just as helpful as they have been in the past, especially reception always polite with a smile, a special thanks to Warda. I cannot count the amount of times I have heard people say, “It’s just like home from home” The hotel was not very full, but that meant you had plenty of room at the pool and dining room.

Room
We stayed in a junior suite overlooking the Nile, what more could you ask for, sat on the balcony every evening watching the sunset go down. The room and balcony was kept very clean. As a request a full length mirror in the room would be a bonus for the ladies.

Breakfast and Jazz piped music
I defy anyone to run down the breakfast. If it was not on display to be eaten, you only had to ask, and it would be produced if not immediately by the next day. Every morning you had fresh eggs cooked to perfection while you waited. The restaurant has piped music. Please please can you not change the selection of music? I hate Jazz, and that’s all you played every morning for five weeks was Jazz.

Restaurants
The Lantern, Deans and the Aisia are still open. The Puddle duck, The King of Thie, The Fortune Cookie are closed, Maxime and Snobs not sure if they may open later on in the year. Our favourite is by far is the Lantern. The 3 restaurants in the hotel are just as good, Karnak, Indian and Italian, and not forgetting room service, the only difference is you don’t have to go out of the hotel but the cost is a little more, but so what you are on holiday.

Pools
The small pool is heated and is fantastic for children and their mums, The round pool was not heated but this is not the fault of the hotel there still seems to be a fuel shortage in Luxor that is affecting all businesses. The waiters are on hand to serve you whatever you want whilst lounging at the side of the pool, and once again the waiters and pool staff are on hand always with a smile and welcome back. The round pool is in urgent need of new sun beds and side tables. There are also lots of trip hazards on the surrounding pool surface area; this is in urgent need of being resurfaced.

WI FI
Not very good at all. Let’s just say it’s not what you are used to at home.

Carriage and taxi drivers
As soon as you get outside the gate of the Sheraton you will be hassled over and over again and for those of you who have been in the past it is worse than it has ever been. The tourist trade in Luxor is virtually non-existent and it’s a shame. When you get hassled reply with a smile on your face, be polite and they will leave you alone. Remember you are their only form of income as a tourist.
When being hassled you can always reply by saying “LAA SHUKRAN SALAAM” translated means “NO THANKS GOODDAY”

Would I come back?
“YES” We have already made a provisional booking for next year. We spoke to several people who are coming back and would not go anywhere else, If you were shortly to be making the trip to Luxor and the Sheraton hotel all being well you will have a fantastic time. Might even see you at the pool?

Room Tip: •"Corner suites are large and sunny"
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, April 13, 2014
First, we would like to thank you for choosing Sheraton Luxor Resort to spend your late vacation in Luxor.I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback which was provided to us viaTripAdvisors Site concerning your most recent stay. Your experience and comments are important to us, I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your
holiday and you were generally happy with the staff services and the hotel facilities.
Concerning the Taxi drivers,this issue is related to Tourism Police and we are trying hardly with them to find a real solution .Sun beds round the pool ,we put this in our consideration and will take place in our nearest upgrading projects.
WI-FI service we hope we can upgrade it after we own it as we are currently using third party.
Looking forward to welcome you again soon
Nahla youssef
Washington DC
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2014

No complaints here, the Sheraton was the perfect place to stay in Luxor. The price was unbeatable and checkin was perfect and fast. Staff were polite and helpful, and the room was clean and comfortable. I was upgraded to a Nile view room which was really a surprisingly stunning view.
I read a review describing the hotel as "tired", it's clean and a decent Sheraton, it's not a top property, sure, but I didn't pay top property price either. I was happy with the quality of the rooms.
Breakfast was ok, the patio made up for the mediocre spread, but it all did the trick.
This is a good time to go to Luxor, you can have the temples and tombs practically to yourself!

Stayed April 2014, traveled solo
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, April 9, 2014
First, we would like to thank you for taking the time to share with us your recent experience
at Sheraton Luxor Resort and for having taken the time to write your reviews vis TripAdvisors site.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and you were happy with the staff services, location and the hotel facilities and our team members spared no efforts to make your stay memorable.
Hope that above meet with your requirements and hope to serve you soon at our hotel .
Giza, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2014

We stayed at the Luxor Sheraton for only one night and we really wish we'd stayed longer and we plan to be back at any chance we get to visit Luxor again.
I asked for a room with a Nile view, they gave me a 2nd. Floor room! I was kind of disappointed and expected that I'll go see the room, get back to the lobby and ask to change it for another high rise one (hotel is 4-story-tall) and boy, was I wrong! The rooms at this floor have an expansive terrace, that goes across the entire floor, very wide with an amazing view of the river Nile! You can share the terrace with guests from other rooms, who share this vast terrace space with you, or enjoy it more privately closer to your balcony window, in either case the view is incredible and the rooms are really nice, separated into 2 sections: The bed area and the "living" area; the hotel is old, obviously, yet it is well maintained and kept in pretty good condition, it is located at a cul-de-sac at the end of the Luxur corniche which makes it extra secured. Resturant at the first floor was spacious, with its own terrace as well for enjoying a lovely breakfast outdoors in Luxur's warm December sun! :-) Food quality for dinner & breakfast was OK, nothing super, and the variety was just about enough, could have been more.

Room Tip: Stay on the 2nd. Floor, Nile view rooms, pick a room towards the far left end of the floor when gett...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Thank you very much for having stayed at your home in Upper Egypt during last visit with us at Sheraton Luxor Resort and for writing such a positive review on Tripadvisor.
We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests in the tripadvisor site and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards; and I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff.

Looking forward to welcome you again soon.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2014

The Sheraton in Luxor is a solid choice for a visit to the area. Located on the East side on the Nile, it is about a 20 minute ride to the airport. The staffs at the hotel at the front desk were top notch. They went out of their way to accommodate us. With the uptick of violence in Egypt, the area is getting very few visitors. The hotel was a little like a ghost town. There were nights we were the only ones in the restaurant, of what was little once a bustling hotel. The rooms are nice, we stayed in the cottage, and I would recommended if more than one person in a room. Also we noticed a smoke smell in the main hotel, which was not present in the cottage. The pool area (there are two) is nice. And I loved that they serve ice cold beer chilled in clay jars when you are relaxing poolside. The hotel is situated steps from the Nile. There are ample boats right from the hotel to take a nighttime Felucca ride, which I would recommend. Also, drinks on the patio at night are lovely. The wait staff is attentive and things were responsibly priced in my option for a good hotel.
I had two complaints though. One, when we called ahead of time to ask about a driver or tour guide and they said they arrange nothing from the hotel. They did not indicate there was a taxi or car service to pick us up at the airport when we arrived after midnight. This is NOT TRUE. There are signs in front of the hotel about the cost of a taxi and driver from the hotel to the popular tourist destinations and ample cabs waiting outside the hotel. We meet one driver Adam who was the great, and spoke fantastic English. Ask for him and for him to come for airports transfers, he has a deal with the hotel and they can send him. I would recommend this and to use him for day trips, we had him drive us to a temple approx. 1.5 hours each way from the hotel and it was fine. He translated, had a nice car, and took us for tea and to a nice lunch spot afterwards. I wish we had known about him sooner.
Second, the breakfast service was strange. Service was TERRIBLE AND VERY SLOW. They messed up simple orders the entire stay and paying for the check took nearly a ½ hour each day, not good in the AM when you want to get moving to get on tours.
Overall for USD $60 a night or thereabouts, a very solid hotel choice.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, April 7, 2014
Thank you very much for having stayed at Sheraton Luxor Resort and for having written such a beautiful review on TripAdvisor.I would like to thank you for describing each single point for the hotel with positive or negative sides.In regards to Taxi or Car service from/to airport ,IT'S TRUE as we are not involved with this since taxi drivers are available any time at the airport and also there is NO DEAL between the hotel and Taxi Drivers which are located in front of the hotel,we were agreed with them for a price list in order to controle them when they are dealing with any guest for a tours or ....Concerning your point about SLOW SERVICE during the breakfast,we have passed your comments to our Food&Beverage Manager for strong actions.
Hope that above meets with your requirements.would like to see you again soon in order to redeem ourselves.

Auchterarder, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2014

This was our 11th visit and the staff were as usual welcoming and attentive. A slight problem with the room allocation on arrival which was a pity as I had sent emails to Nahla Youssef and the reservations department before I even booked the accommodation but the receptionist had this sorted out in a few moments.
We have been such regular visitors that the staff have become more like friends and will often meet our wants without a request being made.
The hotel is very quiet at the moment and it seemed that most of the other guests were regular visitors too.
I have no hesitation in recommending this hotel for anyone wanting to visit Luxor and right now is a good time to visit as the hassle element is low.

Room Tip: The higher the floor, the smaller the balcony.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, March 27, 2014
First, we would like to thank you for choosing Sheraton Luxor Resort to spend your 11th visit in Luxor, and we are extremely extending our sincere apology for any inconvenience experience you may gain during this visit.
We are sorry for unacceptable behavior may be caused during your arrival and I will put this in our consideration in the nearest training to avoid this in the future.

Hope that above didn't affect your loyalty to Sheraton Luxor Resort

Nahla youssef
SW Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2014

This was our first return to Luxor since the revolution and our second visit to the Sheraton. The hotel is set off the main drag of hotels and is in a lovely location by the Nile. The reception staff were pleasant and always happy to help.
The room was a nice size with a good layout and bathroom. The rooms were well maintained and clean linen was supplied daily. Having an English 3 pin plug was an added bonus.
All the restaurant staff are so helpful and have a pleasant sense of humour. I would especially mention Joseph, Tarek and Sabri but there were so many I could also list.
The pool staff were first class and really could not do enough for you. I felt really spoiled.
The restaurants were very good. We visited all three on site and a special mention to the staff of Agra. Thank you for achieving what I have been trying to do for years in converting my husband into a fan of Indian Food.
It is a great shame that more visitors were not privileged to share our lovely holiday. The hotel was under occupied throughout the stay. I do hope that people return to Luxor, they will not be disappointed. On no occasion did we feel unsafe. Thank you again to all the staff at Sheraton, we will be back

Room Tip: Opt for a Nile view room and do visit the Agra, you will not be disappointed
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, March 18, 2014
First, we would like to thank you for choosing Sheraton Luxor Resort to spend your second vacation in Luxor.
I want to take this opportunity to thank you for your feedback which was provided to us via TripAdvisors Site concerning your most recent stay. Your experience and comments are important to us, I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and you were generally happy with the staff services and the hotel facilities and Thank you very much as well for praising our team and their standards of service which will serve as an encouragement to them.
Looking forward to welcome you again soon
Nahla Youssef

Been to Sheraton Luxor Resort? Share your experiences!