“Didn't want to leave” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #17 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
Swanley, United Kingdom
“Didn't want to leave”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 28, 2013

My boyfriend and I stayed at the sheraton at the end of June and loved every aspect of the hotel. Egypt is a great place and although the locals are persistent they are just trying to make business to provide for their families. The hotel itself had none of this however. It was peaceful and the staff worked so hard to ensure we enjoyed our stay. We had a bungalow by the quiet pool and it was plenty big enough for the two of us, the bed was also big and very comfortable. The bath/shower was also good, plenty of hot water and so many different options in how to wash. Our pool bar attendant Muffasa was very attentive and really looked after us throughout our stay.
Due to the unrest in Egypt Thomson made us evacuate after just one week of our two week holiday, and we didn't want to go, we were enjoying ourselves so much. I guess it means we will just have to come back as soon as we can!
Thank you Sheraton!

Room Tip: The bungalows are a must
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, July 29, 2013
Also we are!!!
Also we wouldn't let you to leave; it was a force majeure that forced us to let you leave us.
Moustafa & all our associates are waiting for the honor of welcoming you & your room mate to re-visit Sheraton Luxor Resort to experience a hospitality stay.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (221)
New Haven, Connecticut, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2013

I really enjoyed my trip in Egypt, but Egypt is exhausting! Between the heat, the yelling, and people trying to sell you something everywhere you turn it can be overwhelming. The Sheraton Luxor was a really wonderful retreat away from all of that. The Nile view rooms are amazing, and I already miss having a cup of tea on the balcony at sunset as Islamic sung prayers were projected from the nearby mosques.

Using the technology (business center, local phones) was a bit challenging, but the staff was very helpful at getting around the various website blocks and navigating all the different prefixes you needed to make a call. Also many people in Egypt expect baksheesh (small tips) for doing things like carrying your bags (whether you want them to or not), giving you directions, allowing you into tombs, etc., but very few places in Luxor provide change when you pay them, and the ATMs only give big bills. The hotel was so helpful in breaking my big bills so I could leave tips.

The restaurants were all good (and actually the Italian restaurant there is GREAT) and very accommodating. The poolside bar had wonderful drink and snack options, and the pools were both quiet and relaxing.

I'd like to second another review that one of their taxi drivers, Mamduh, is wonderful. He taught me some Arabic to keep people from hassling me, gave me advice on navigating the various sights, and even invited me over for Ramadan dinner. Ali Abdul, whose family runs the Sheraton's tour options, is also wonderful, makes planning day trips and outings very easy, and has extremely reasonable prices. And he knows everyone in Luxor so is very helpful in a pinch with anything travel related (taxis, trains, planes, etc.) I'm a young woman traveling alone, and Ali was really concerned about me getting hassled and ripped off, so when I took trips with him he came to the ticket counters with me to make sure that I was getting the correct price, etc. Also, be sure to ask him for where to go to get authentic Egyptian food!

Finally, and I know this is small, but many hotels in Egypt had very weird electrical outlets, and I couldn't charge my phone, computer, etc. The Sheraton Luxor had standard Europe/Middle East outlets so that this was not a problem.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
It is great pleasure for all of our associates to hear from you.

Your positive comments are very encouraging for us to keep working to deliver our entire guest their expectations and to retain them repeated their visits to Sheraton Luxor Resort specifically when in Luxor any time.

We all at Sheraton Luxor Resort are waiting for the honor of welcoming you once and more to deliver you an excellent service.

Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2013

As per Fairyface45, I am also late in reviewing, however I agree with the whole review.
Egypt is a favourite holiday destination for me, and while I have stayed at other hotels, I will definitley return to the Sheraton.
The staff here are second to none with nothing too much trouble. The position of the hotel overlooking the Nile is tremendous, and from the balcony you can see the sun setting over the Valley of the Kings. Superb! The rooms are very spacious and comfortable. And very clean.
Facilties include a gym, sauna and spa, and are great quality. The only downside, if at all, is that the hotel is not particularly geered towards young children in terms of kids clubs and other facilities. But without kids, not a problem.

Room Tip: Go for a pool view room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
All our associates are very much obliged for you positive comments.

Definitely your observation regarding children care is in consideration and it is in our plan to improve our service delivery as expected for all our guests.

For any further queries, suggestions please do not hesitate to contact us.

Leamington Spa, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

Stayed at the Sheraton last year in july, sorry for very late review, myself and my Egyptian friend stayed in 2 bungalows right by the quiet pool, it was beautiful! The rooms were very clean, and the housekeeping worked very hard to keep them nice! The location was perfect, away from the main town, and overlooking the nile. All the staff were wonderful, from reception to waiters to pool boys, gardeners etc! I will definitly be returning later in the year, please dont be put off by recent protests, last year it was very quiet, and its madness to not visit this relaxing peace of luxury history and lovely people, its away from it all!!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, July 11, 2013
Your positive comment is very impressed.
All the departments members you mentioned was very happy to receive this comments, and it encourages them to keep working hardly to deliver better services.
Thanks god that Luxor is still away from the protests.

Nahla
Sevastopol, Ukraine
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 7, 2013

We stayed at Sheraton for two night but really enjoyed it. Luxor is a very inteersting place, I would reccommend travellers to stay in this city for a couple of days and explore it. Our room was spacious enough and quite clean, it was better than I expected. Breakfast was good enough, we had dinner in the Indian restaurant and the food was tasty, they also have Italian restaurant which is very good as well. The only drawback I would like to highlight is the guy from the currency exchange office, he was smoking while doing his duties, dont know if it acceptable there but definitely I dont think it is acceptable according to Sheraton standards. The rest of the staff was very friendly and smiling, especially I would like to give me copliments to the restaurant manager who assistaed us greately!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Your nice encourage comment is a power for all Sheraton Luxor Resort's associates.

We thank you for this positive comment, and regarding your comment about the currency exchange employee we convey your message to his boss, as he is belonging to a bank rents the space to provide the service, we are not getting rid of the responsibilty to advice him not to do such behavior.

We all at Sheraton Luxor Resort, are waiting for the honor of welcoming you good-self to visit our hotel to spend an enjoyable remarkable stay.

Nahla
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 4, 2013

All together I love it every thing was nice and the staff take care of you and food was good and shop next door to hotel rooms were clean every day and the pool was nice the best hotel in world money well spent staff was nice

• Stayed June 2013
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, July 6, 2013
Many thanks for recently staying with us and for having taken the time to share your reviews through TripAdvisors.
I am delighted to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and you were generally happy with the staff services and the hotel facilities , and our team members spared no efforts to make your stay memorable.

Looking forward to welcome you again .
Nahla Youssef
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

We have had 3 trips down the Nile and 3 stays at the Sheraton. We had not been for 2 years but it was wonderful to be greeted by staff who remembered us from previous visits. It is the most calming hotel we have ever stayed at. Staff and the atmosphere and second to none.

Room Tip: Top floor overlooking the Nile.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
nahla_youssef, Front Office Manager at Sheraton Luxor Resort, responded to this review, June 29, 2013
Thank you very much for your 3rd visit and your loyalty to the Sheraton Luxor Resort and for taking the time writing to us on TripAdvisor.We do appreciate your fidelity and your faith towards the hotel as we always need the support from our regular clients especially during these difficult times.It is just great having the possibility to provide for our clients like you and all our other esteemed “Regulars” who have made Sheraton Luxor their home in Upper Egypt and so not only support the hotel and the team but Egypt over all by being fantastic Ambassadors for this wonderful country and loving people!
Hope to see you soon
Best regards
Nahla Youssef

Been to Sheraton Luxor Resort? Share your experiences!