“6 days in Luxor” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
Hook Norton, England, United Kingdom
“6 days in Luxor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 14, 2013

We made a last-minute decision to go and see the temples and tombs of Luxor and the West Bank. The Jolie Ville is an excellent centre to stay for peace and quiet and easy access by taxi or shuttle bus to the ferry to the West Bank and to the temples at Luxor and Karnak. It's also good for lazing around the pool and the gardens are lovely.
The staff are amazingly good - helpful and friendly, and even the ice is made from mineral water so no need to worry about 'Pharoh tummy'.
Internet acces is only really good in the reception area of the hotel, which is not too private. Also the internet isn't a secure passworded connection, so no good for accessing bank accounts.
The only other downside was the man with his infernal and very smelly diesel fumigator patrolling the perimeter every evening - the smell was everywhere for a little while, but maybe it keeps the biting insects away, it's hard to tell.

Room Tip: For my next visit (I hope) I would choose a superior room and ask for a west-facing 1st floor room o...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, March 18, 2013
Dear Janice S from United Kingdom,

Thank you very much for having selected the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor to be your home in Luxor during your last holiday and for posting your very kind and positive comments about our Resort on Tripadvisor.

I am delighted to know that you were generally happy with your stay and the services provided.

WIFI is a bit slow because we still have no fiber optic cables in the region and with the new government in place I believe some additional “filters” where installed which is slowing down the data speed additionally.

Being surrounded by water and with vast gardens and free wild life all around, mosquitoes can become a real nuisance. We therefore fumigate the island daily during sunset and sunrise to jeopardize the mating of mosquitoes. The product used is approved by the Governmental health authorities and of no harm to your health at all, as it is not poisonous, just rather smelly.

Once again thank you vrey much and we all look much forward to welcoming you back in the near future, I remain with,

Best regards,
Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Arabic first
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

I always panic when booking accommodation for holidays. I'm indecisive when it comes to choice, I'm always on a budget, and I'm a neat freak. So obviously I need something that ticks all the boxes. After emailing several hotels in Luxor to find the perfect one, I went with my gut and chose Maritim Jolie Ville. (The sealer was that they had belly dancer on Thursday night. But more about that later!) My partner and I had the best time there! There is complimentary airport pick-up which you can pre arrange, upon arrival we were served a traditional drink of chilled hibiscus tea, only down side was that in Egypt it is still legal to smoke inside and the lobby had a slight smell lingering. But not enough to put us off as the place was spotless and very elegant looking. The resort is quite large so we were taken to our room by golf buggy. Would have been about 5-10 min walk but with luggage it would have been hard. We stayed in a Deluxe room which was upstairs and had a balcony looking directly at the nile and the sunset. We could also see glimpses of Valley of the Kings and the hot air balloons each morning. Our room was pristine! I couldn't fault it! There were so many wonderful things about this island. They have a shuttle that takes you to and from Luxor as it isn't directly in the town. Maybe 10 min drive. But that's one of the good things about this place as the city isn't very pretty and this resort was a haven! We were never bored. We went for walks, visited the mini zoo, had a choice of three pools to swim in (two are heated), and there's gift shops. Complimentary breakfast is always good. Loads to choose from! Three restaurants for dinner. French, Italian and Buffet. The buffet had a different themed cuisine each night so the variety was great! But the Italian restaurant we found was best for our tight budget.

The Cons. If I'm going to be picky, as I mentioned already, the cigarette smell in the lobby, sometimes they spray pesticides around sunset but this settles quite quickly, when I asked about the belly dancer some staff had no idea about it and had to ring around to confirm it (in the end she was brilliant and very entertaining), we lost a ring there and it has since been found but they refuse to post it back to us in England which I can understand as they don't want to be responsible if its lost in the mail but it will cost us too much to organize a courier so unfortunately we have to part with it. These aside, if I am in Luxor again, I would stay here again in a heartbeat and I recommend this to anyone!! We were a couple and found it very romantic but they have loads of children's facilities so families would appreciate it also. Very friendly and attentive staff especially Mahmoud at breakfast who liked to talk football with my partner, and Ahmed at dinner who was quite cheeky but nice and gave me a flower on our last evening. One of the best places I have ever stayed at!!

Room Tip: Ask for a Nile view, sunset view or view of Valley of the Kings. You won't be disappointed.
Dear Sarahann07 from Guildford, United Kingdom,

Thank you very much for having holidayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for having shared your experience within the TripAdvisor community.

We are most enchanted to read that you have enjoyed your stay on the Island and that you were generally satisfied with the facilities and the services provided.

With regards to your comment about smoking inside the lobby, you may know that Egypt still has not banned smoking indoors. Yet we have assigned limited areas for the smokers inside the hotel like the lobby and a part from Ascot Bar. All other outlets are non-smoking and you can hardly smell any smoke in there.

Regarding fumigating the island I would like to highlight that we are surrounded by water and with vast gardens and free wild life all around, mosquitoes can become a real nuisance. We therefore fumigate the island daily during sunset and sunrise to jeopardize the mating of mosquitoes. The product used is approved by the Governmental health authorities and of no harm to your health at all, as it is not poisonous, just rather smelly.

Posting a precious item by post mail to abroad is considered a risky move as not all of the mails ar reaching the recepients. But anyway and if you would like us to keep it for you till you come next time, we can do with pleasure. Just use the hotel email to send us more details about the shape of the ring, your name, etc. so that we can look in our Lost & Found records.

We all are looking much forward to welcoming you back to your second home in the near future, I remain with,

Best regards,
trearddur bay
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2013

i was cabin crew for several years so been all over the world and stayed in some great hotels and i must say the jolie ville goes to the top of my list !!!!!!
amazing gardens,all staff polite and friendly,amazing buffet breakfast and great coffee.
the room was clean , the room has tea and coffee making facilities.
we had a terrace with a nile view , great to sit on the terrace in the morning and have coffee before going for breakfast .
there are three great pools to choose from with very comfortable sunloungers and nice big thick towels. great to relax by the pool and watch the boats cruising along the nile .
we did various trips from the hotel , the valley of th kings, the temples of luxor and karnak and the luxor museum . all within easy reach
the hotel has a free shuttle bus which we used a few times to go into luxor
the hotel also has a few shops selling gifts/postcards/toiletries/water/soft drinks/crisps
the hotel has a cashpoint and you can change money at reception
we did hear thomas cook wont be going to luxor next winter , i do hope they continue to fly to luxor and the jolie ville.
we will be returning to this amazing place!!!!!!!!!!!!
we had such a great stay at the jolie ville !!!!!!!!!!!
please pass on our thanks to all the staff !!!!!!!!!!

Room Tip: we paid extra for a nile view room we thought it was worth the extra
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Dear John p from trearddur bay,

Thank you very much for visiting the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and hopefully there are many more visits to come in the future.

Thank you as well for having taken the time to write about the Resort on Tripadvisor so positively, it was our pleasure to have you on Kings Island.

I do appreciate your kindness towards our Island, we are very much looking forward welcoming you back on Kings Island in the very near future.

The entire Team and I wish you and your family a very happy and joyful day, I remain with,

With sunny regards from splendid Luxor

Norwich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2013

We had the most perfect holiday at the Maritim Jolie Ville. It is perfectly placed on an island in the Nile reached by a private bridge which ensures both security and quiet from frenetic Luxor nearby. We could not fault anything and were very happy with our standard room (Q1) which had a longish view of the Nile through trees and shrubs. The whole hotel and surrounds were spotless and the breakfast and evening buffets were absolutely fine with an enormous selection of food items to suit all tastes. Our only benchmark is whether the breakfast orange juice is actually made from real oranges - and it was! A special mention must be made about the staff for whom nothing was too much trouble. We met many frequent visitors which says it all. We really enjoyed the variety of birdlife all around us. Oh and the view of the Nile across to the Valley of the Kings was stunning.

Room Tip: Try and get a Nile facing room, eg Q1.
Dear WelltravelledNorwich from Norwich,

Thank you very much for your kind review posted on Tripadvisor and for having selected the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor to be your home in Upper Egypt.

It is just great to have so much support from all our clients. The compliments sometimes make me blush behind my computer keyboard but also make me very happy, to know that our efforts are so much appreciated.

I believe it is the incredible gentleness, warmth, genuine smile and natural hospitality the Upper Egypt people have inside of them, which makes’ it such special place. Of course the guaranteed sunshine, the ancient captivating history and the beauty of the landscape with the majestic river Nile are making one addicted to Luxor.

The entire Jolie Ville Team is thanking you for having stayed with us and we are looking forward to welcome you back on Kings Island in the near future.

Sunny regards from unique & spectacular Luxor

London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

This is our 9th visit to this hotel and as ever we are thoroughly enjoying the relaxing atmosphere before we head back to normality.
We love the bungalows as we do not spend much time in the room but having seen the new rooms they are great.
Cleanliness throughout the entire hotel is immaculate, the chambermaid always comes back in the evening to check if anything is needed and of course hands out more mosquito plug ins for the room. We have been here 10 days and not had one bite.
Service is above and beyond as usual. The staff are friendly, polite and very efficient. Tips are not expected but well deserved as the staff do not earn huge wages.
We never eat in the buffet so cannot comment but the Italian is lovely as is the food at the infinity pool and the Ascot bar.
We really do love this place but would just like to make, hopefully, some constructive criticism.
We arrived when the hotel was at full capacity, which we haven't experienced in a long time.The staff dealt with it admirably and my only criticism would be more counters for freshly cooked eggs at breakfast. It is not my idea of relaxing to stand in a queue of nine waiting for an omelette. It probably would not have been so bad if the Egyptians understood the concept of queuing and as it was an Egyptian conference which took over the hotel we didn't look forward to the jostling at the egg counter.
My only other criticism is the entertainment. Unfortunately this did taint our experience yet again. I feel the hotel needs to speculate to accumulate in this area. Instead of spending money in the bar most evenings we grabbed a cab into Luxor to eat, I'm afraid the pianist scared off more than a few visitors as we ended up dining with them in Luxor.
Still a great holiday with three days to go but will review the entertainment before we come back again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear ChessLondon from London,

Thank you very much for your 9th visit to the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for writing such a nice review on TripAdvisor.

I am most delighted to know that you were again well entertained and satisfied with the services provided. Thank you as well for highlighting the atmosphere and the food quality at the Italian Zigolini Restaurant, Infinity Nakheel Terrace and Ascot Bar.

We are sorry with the inconvenience you may have faced during the stay of the Egyptian group. The hotel was fully booked and we tried to take care of all hotels guests as much as we can; however your comment has been taken into consideration and will be applied whenever same situation happens again (Inchallah).

With regards to the entertainment and due to the bad situation the whole country is passing by at the moment, we are not able to provide more expensive entertainment that you can not even find it locally in Luxor and that you have to provide accommodation, meals, wages, etc. But we hope that business is coming back again like old days so we can review the issue and improve it.

Once again thank you very much for your constructive points of view and we all are looking much forward to welcoming you back for the 10th visit to your second home in the near future, I remain with,

Best warm regards,
Braintree, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the resort fron 4 Feb -18 Feb. Once again we were not disappointed during our stay at the Kings Island Resort. We upgraded our room on arrival to the deluxe rooms in the new blocks and were not disappointed, our room was spacious, well furnished and kept immaculately clean by the house staff. There are three pools to choose from and we spent most of our time by the heated, adults only, relaxing pool and was always able to find our spot overlooking the Nile. The other pools were both infinity pools overlooking the Nile but unfortunately the one nearest the new blocks is not heated and was rarely in use by the hotel guests. The food in the restaurant was excellent with plenty of choice and only the very fussiest of eaters would have a problem. The grounds of the hotel are a tribute to the gardening staff and it was a pleasure to walk through them. I booked a half board holiday but with hindsight I would have booked bed & breakfast, bought meal vouchers and perhaps ventured out in to Luxor more often. A special mention for the guest relations team who helped me out after my flights to Sharm were altered by the airline and also helped me book a guided day tour to some of Luxor's fabulous sites. If I have any gripes it was about the bar prices which I felt were high and did not encourage guests to use the facilities, I was also disappointed that after paying a resonable amount for my holiday the basic essentials such as water were chargeable, water should be free for everyone! We also witnessed an incident in the restaurant where a staff member was abused by his manager, my wife found this most distressing but we were assured this was an isolated incident which would not be repeated.
We found the resort to really relaxing and enjoyed our stay immensely, the staff were friendly and welcoming and helped make our holiday, no doubt we will be back and probably this year!

Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear Verykeengolfer from Essex UK,

Thank you very much for having stayed at our Resort this early February 2013 and for your kind comments posted on Tripadvisor.

I am very happy to read that you had a great time over all and that we could meet with your pallet concerning buffet choices and menu selection in the various restaurants.

With regards to the bar pricing which you see a bit steep, this has to do with the extremely high importation tax that is imposed and which reaches up to 350%! There are although as well local alcohol available in our bar for a lower price.
For a 1,3 liter mineral water bottle we are charging Le15.- which is approximately £1,26, in my opinion rather a super market price than a 5stars hotel price?

I am sorry you had to witness some arguments between a staff member and his supervisor; this should not happen in public but in the office of the supervisor of course!

The entire Jolie Ville Team is thanking you for your visit and we are all looking very much forward to welcome you back in Luxor in the not so far future. Next time bring your golf clubs and have a trial on the “Royal Valley Golf Club” which is just ½ hours drive away from the Resort.

I remain with,
Sunny regards from unique, always sunny & spectacular Luxor.

Carlisle, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2013

MIKE AND DENISE DOUGLASS
We returned to the Jolie Ville for our fourth time in february for a one week stay.The hotel has been through some major refurbishment and expansion since our last visit 2 years ago but still manages to treat all their guests as if they were family.We stayed in a garden bungalow and it was spotlessly clean and very comfortable.Breakfast was really good with plenty of variety and everything freshly cooked.
Recreation staff very good especially Tamar who always has time for the guests regardless of age or ability.We normally stayed by the adult pool which was heated although it could benifit from being heated a little more as it did not warm up until late afternoon.Pool attendants Ali and Salah are always very polite and helpful.
Best hotel in Luxor will definitely be returning .

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, March 7, 2013
Dear michael d from Carlisle, UK,

First of all let me thank you very much for having chosen the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor again to spend your holiday and for having taken the time to write such a wonderful review to Tripadvisor.

I am utmost pleased to read that you are enchanted with our Resort and its services over all. It because of your fidelity to Kings Island that we have such high service standards and quality and high rate of guests satisfaction.

With regards to the pool heating, since a couple of months Egypt is facing a huge oil shortage, diesel is available only very limited and I wished this would change immediately. I have complained to the Luxor Governor about the matter on several occasions about this but nobody seems to be responsible or can do anything. Hopefully the situation would be cleared very soon.

We are looking very much forward to welcome you back on Kings Island in the hopefully not so far future!

Sunny regards from excellent & spectacular Luxor
Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor

Been to Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor? Share your experiences!