“A week at the Maritim Jolie Ville” 5 of 5 stars

Agoda.com Expedia.com
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Awameya Road, Kings Island, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #2 of 56 hotels in Luxor
Kent
“A week at the Maritim Jolie Ville”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

We have just been back to this hotel for a second time. Our stay was as wonderful as the last one, two years ago. The rooms are big, with enormous beds. Very very clean. The food was always varied and well presented. All of the staff were unerringly polite and cheerful. Which adds to the enjoyment of a stay there. I cannot recommend the Jolie Ville highly enough.

We didn't fancy going into Luxor, due to the aggressive selling techniques of the locals. I know they need to earn a living, but there are better ways to sell to tourists. We took a taxi out on two occasions, to see Egyptian life and birdlife. Brilliant and very cheap. On the second day in the taxi, we went to the West Bank. Again, a lovely trip. But the highlights of our week there, was going onto the River Nile with Ahmed, who is very knowledgeable about the birds of Egypt and makes great tea! He doesn't peddle his trips, which is a pity. In three trips out with him, we saw thousands of birds and whenever we wanted close up photos, he would turn off the engine and drift the boat right up to the birds. An amazing experience. If you go there, go out with him, for ten pounds an hour and tea thrown in, what more could you want? Breakfast in the sunshine, lunch in the sunshine and dinner under patio heaters if it's a bit chilly. The grounds are manicured and spotless. There is an army of gardeners keeping the place looking wonderful. Please go, it is a lovely experience.

Room Tip: If you love a long walk, get a superior room in one of the new blocks. If you don't want a long...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, February 23, 2013
Dear Ripmika from Kent UK,

Thank you very much for having chosen our Resort to be your home in Luxor for your holiday this year. Thank you as well for a very nice and complementing report on Tripadvisor, I will print out a copy for Ahmed “birdmen”.

We are looking forward to welcome many birdwatchers and lovers to show them around the Kings Island bird paradise!

1,625 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Zurich
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Just outside of the famous city of Luxor, there is a place of peace on an Island in the middle of nature! The wide gardens around the bungalows, the three different pool areas and the sunset area make a stay an experience far away from the mass tourism in the tombs and temples.An excellent breakfast buffet with a wide variety of fruits and specialities from Europe and Egypt starts the day, five restaurants are spread over the Island. I especially recommend the French à la carte restaurant "La Fleur", where we enjoyed the finest cuisine we found in Upper Egypt.

Room Tip: Personally I prefer the classcial bungalows, as the the garden area is nicer than in the newyly buil...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Zurichhiker from Zuerich Switzerland,

Thank you very much for the various stays at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor in the past years and for having taken the time to write an utmost positive report on Tripadvisor.

I am happy we could once again live up to the expectations and that you have enjoyed your stay on our Nile island with your group. Thank you as well for the compliments about the breakfast buffet and the “La Fleur” a la carte French Restaurant.

Thank you very much for being such a nice ambassador for Luxor and for bringing your groups on a regular basis to Upper Egypt! We are looking very much forward to welcome you back home on Kings Island in the not so far future on!

Sunny regards from peaceful & spectacular Luxor

Luxor
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

We wanted a quiet location in Luxor away from the crowds in a quality hotel. This hotel fits the bill perfectly. Spacious, comfortable room. The WIFI is slow, but adequate. The food is good, local and seasonal. The meals by the pools, in the bar and in the rooms are excellent and good value. We did not find the two upper end restaurants value for money. La Fleur is supposedly the best, but it has no ambience and is just an appendage to the main restaurant. In fact people walk through La Fleur from the main restaurant to get to the toilets. Service in the dining rooms was average because the staff are not proactive. The pools are all beautiful and we swam every day. We appreciated the adults only pool which was warmer (25 degrees) and quieter. Booze is very pricey and obtainable in town at a third of the price, but this is typical of hotels everywhere. No fault of the hotel, but the driving in Egypt is diabolical. But we still had a wonderfully relaxing holiday.

Room Tip: Better to overlook the Nile.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Geoffrey D,

Thank you very much for having stayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island and for the time taken to write your holiday experiences to Tripadvisor.

Your comments are of great value to us and I shall especially sit with our Restaurant team to discuss the “not pro active” matter. Thank you.
WIFI is a bit slow because we still have no fiber optic cables in the region and with the new government in place I believe some additional “filters” where installed which is slowing down the data speed additionally.
Regarding the La Fleur location, I agree with you that it could be better and I have just yesterday ordered our engineering team to put some “masharabia” wall in front of the toilet entrance to shield it off and give more privacy.
Booze is pricy because of huge taxes of 350% for all imported alcohol. If you got it cheaper in town they most probably have used local products which are as well differing in quality.
About the traffic; I only can recommend “in Rome do as the Romans do!”

Thanking you again for having selected our Resort to be your home in Luxor, we are looking forward to welcome you back in the hopefully not so far future.

Sunny regards from spring like & spectacular Luxor

Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

Stayed with a large group of friends. I have to say that it is so vast and big and extremely well though and designed. Friendly staff and great food. Huge dining area on the Nile with a gorgeous view and impeccable service. Highly recommended to anyone who has kids or friends or family that wants a unique get-away and spend time within the resort.

Room Tip: A great choice and a great place.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Dear Worldwelltravelled from LA USA,

Thank you very much for your very positive travel report posted on Tripadvisor and for having chosen our Resort to be your home in Luxor during your recent visit.

We are enchanted to read that you and your group have enjoyed the stay at our Resort and hope to be able to welcome you back in Upper Egypt again very soon.

Luxor
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013

I'm currently in this hotel at the moment and can't find anything wrong with it but one thing. THE POOLS ARE TOO COLD. I've complained several times and have been told that they are heated. NO THEY ARE NOT. it's a crying shame that a hotel that is perfect in every, I mean every other way can't seem to understand my and many other comments before this one that the pools are too cold. I feel very strong about this as my family are reduced to just standing at the edge of the pool in a very sunny day. I am not the only person feeling this way as many other guests never go in.
PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE look into this as it is the only thing stoping me from having a perfect holiday.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, February 19, 2013
Dear Luxor Abcdeedcba from your current holiday place,

First of all let me thank you very much for having chosen the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor to spend your holiday this February and for having taken the time to write to Tripadvisor.

I am utmost pleased to read that with one exception, which I will try to explain to you shortly, you and your family are enchanted with our Resort and its services over all.

Since a couple of months Egypt is facing a huge oil shortage, diesel is available only very limited and I wished this would change immediately. I have complaint to the Luxor Governor about the matter on several occasions about this but nobody seems to be responsible or can do anything You can see the problem as well when driving to town, where you can witness huge lanes of cars, trucks, buses, tractors etc waiting in front of the gasoline stations for diesel.

Because of this shortage I am forced to stop the pool heating from time to time when we reach a minimum level of diesel in our storage tanks. We also heat the water in the rooms with diesel as well I need a min. level for the emergency generators.

Believe you me; we heat the infinity & relaxing pool as much as we can. Only the new horizon pool does not yet have a heating system installed. Today morning (19th Feb at 07:30 am) the infinity pool has 22 degrees and the relaxing pool has 25, horizon pool unheated at 18 degrees.

It would be silly and unprofessional not to heat the pools during winter season which by the way is our high season when we built up the reserves for the low summer. This is why tourists are coming to our hotel, to linger in the warm sun and use the pools during cold winter months in Europe. I would as well not go to a ski resort when there is no snow!

Please do not hesitate to come and see me in my office or approach me when you see me around the hotel, I am happy to discuss the matter with you person to person. If I might ask you to remove this comment from Tripadvisor as this problem, which I fully appreciate is completely out of our hands.

Thank you once again for having chosen our hotel for your Luxor holiday, I remain with

Varese
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

After two weeks of being in Alexandria then Cairo I spent 4 days in downtown Luxor for the convenience of downtown restaurants, plus the Luxor Temple and Karnak.
After that I needed a break and a bit of peace and quiet!
Pretty much a self contained resort. It has pools (2 of which are heated, and one is adults only!), bungalows of ranging quality with both Nile / non Nile view, restaurants, tennis courts, entertainment options and excursion and boat trip availability. A free shuttle bus into town and back, free wifi and a little zoo with a few domesticated animals, some camels and a couple of monkeys.
I was there on my own, so the resort was a little quiet as tourism at the moment is still suffering in Egypt, and therefore most of the guests were 60+ apart from several young families.
But if you want to get away from the noise, hassle and crowds, Jolie Ville is a great place to do it! There is lots of space to be able to just sit back, look at the Nile and take in the environment!
Ive mentioned in other reviews that I am a little tired of hotel buffets. They are generally tired, generic and limited in imagination. I came to The Jolie Ville with no expectations, but rather reservations by the fact that I was far enough away from town that it might be a hassle having to go into town to eat every night. My first meal that I had there was a poolside meal and it didnt excite and I thought to myself "here we go again". After this and having met the the Executive Chef Mr Nabil, my faith was restored! Even though not everything was perfect, it was probably the most organised, diverse, expansive and fresh buffet area that I have been to in a long time. So good work Mr Nabil and your team!
Overall my stay was very pleasant, and would happily recommend it to anyone that is heading to Luxor!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
Dear Oliver from Varese Italy,

Thank you very much for your resent stay on Kings Island and for the time taken to write your Jolie Ville holiday experience to Tripadvisor.

I am very happy you took the time to talk to our Executive Chef Mr. Mahmoud Nabil and that he was able to provide you with an upgraded culinary experience, other than you had expected.
It is our aim to have all our esteemed clients leaving our Resort with good memories and satisfied with our “product”. It is of course not always possible to know the exact expectations and therefore we are very happy when our guests talk to us as long as we can change things and provide for the better.

Thanking you again for having selected our Resort to be your home in Luxor,

Sunny regards from spring like & spectacular Luxor

5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 16, 2013 via mobile

We were in a deluxe Nile view room with a big balcony which was definitely worth it. Tourism has really suffered the last 2 years so it was pretty quiet. Beautiful pools but only one was really warm enough to swim in, others were a chilly 20 degrees. Very clean, well run, friendly. Buffet food in evening was a bit bland despite big choice. Our trip was organised by Discover Egypt and they were excellent - meeting and accompanying us on all trips.

• Stayed February 2013
Dear Suesbrew,

Thank you very much for having stayed at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor recently and for having taken the time to report so positively to Tripadvisor about our Resort.

We are utmost happy to read that you have enjoyed your holiday and that most of all you loved your Deluxe Room in the new Hotel section near the “horizon pool” with its big balcony.

Unfortunately almost all Hotels in Egypt do have a “diesel supply problem” these days, which makes it sometimes necessary to stop the pool heating for day or two until supply arrives again. Believe you me; we only stop the pool heating when we are getting into a very critical diesel stock level which I need to keep for the emergency generators and for hot water in the hotel.
Normally our “Relaxing (adult) Pool” is heated to 27 degrees and our “Infinity Pool” to around 25 degrees. The Horizon Pool does not have a heating system installed yet, and is therefore rather chilly during the winter months when the temperatures are falling during night time.

We are looking very much forward to welcome you back on Kings Island in the hopefully not so far future!

Sunny regards from excellent & spectacular Luxor

Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor

Been to Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor? Share your experiences!