“umpteenth visit to this hotel” 5 of 5 stars

You added Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor to your Saves list
5.0 of 5 Resort   |   Awameya Road, Kings Island, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #2 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
Cardiff, United Kingdom
“umpteenth visit to this hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2012

Have just arrive home following yet another visit to this beautiful hotel in a stunning location, my wife and I have been visiting for many many years now, it seems to improve with each visit. we stayed in the new blocks for a small extra charge well worth it for the extra space.
Although tourists are still nervous about travelling to Egypt generally Luxor as always is calm and peaceful, they really do want tourists to come back.
At the Joliville the staff are warm friendly and welcome you by name even if this is your first visit, how they remember you I just don't know the staff training schemes must be unique.
Should you want to get around to some of the other pools or visit the zoo within the grounds the shuttle buggy (golf cart) is always freely available. It is always a pleasure to spend time on the Nile with Mahmoud and his motor boat. There are so many staff that one could pick out for their particular skill from the Mr.Umbrich and his management team the check in staff, guest relations, restaurant and garden staff each and all helps to make you feel at home I will be returning again in July

Room Tip: 3105 fabulous location neat to horizon pool
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, April 24, 2012
Dear David 55 Slack from Cardiff,

Thank you very much for having returned once again to at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, it’s always great to welcome our dear “regular’s” back home! Thank you as well for your support and for writing your impression about the hotel on Tripadvisor.

The people of Upper Egypt are by nature very warm hearted, very pleasant and utmost welcoming, there is not particular training for that, as it would not work. They are as genuine as can be and I am happy and proud having the chance to be their boss.

We look very much forward to welcome you back on Kings Island next July. Unfortunately I will not be around to meet with you as I will be on holiday myself, but I am not worried a bit that my team is going to look very well after you once again.

I remain with,
Sunny regards from ancient, peaceful and relaxing Luxor

Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (275)
  • Arabic first
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

I am, like the previous reviewer, 14 years old, and my family has just returned from the Jolie Ville in Luxor. First off, it is a stunning and unique hotel, that is incredibly good value! As the hotel is set on its own island, the grounds are large and expansive and give the feeling of peacefulness and tranquility. They are beautifully landscaped and are tended for by a committed team of gardeners. The only anomoly was a huge mud heap infront of the Horizon pool! The rooms are not set in a 'concrete jungle' but scattered over the whole complex with the modern rooms set furthest away from reception. A first floor room in Block 7 seems to be the one to go for as it offers stunning vistas across the Nile with its blood red sunsets, and of the Horizon Pool, which we felt was the nicest of the three available as it is very quiet, modern - the infinity pool is older and flooring and the pool itself doesn't seem very up to date, and there is a waterfall and water playground for kids. The water was so clean you could almost drink from it! The rooms themselves aren't grand and luxurious, though the modern rooms are large and airy, but they offer everything you'd want. There is air conditioning, and the little extras like slippers, toileteries, bath robe, teabags, kettle, bottle of water, chocolate bar, nuts, beer etc. There aren't showers but a bath with a shower head, which you would think wouldn't be particularly nice but is actually incredibly so. The TV doesn't offer much with limited english channels - BBC 1 and that is about it, so nothing for the kids to relax and watch after a hot day out sightseeing. We would definitely recommend them adding more channels like CBBC and Disney for the younger kids and Channel 4, BBC 3 etc. A DVD player might also be quite a nice extra. The wifi in the rooms, contrary to what a lot of other reviewers say, is fantastic, very easy to connect to for iPods and iPhones and pretty fast. There is wifi all over the campas so you can catch up with news etc by the pool. The only problems we had were with the laptop where we had to walk over to reception, connect to the network and then walk back - bizarely
! There is a road bridge from the mainland to reach the island however there is no traffic on the island itself - unless you count silent, battery operated, golf buggies which are available to transfer guests (and supplies) around the amenities. The only problem we had was when we were leaving and we rang reception to ask for a buggy for our luggage and it still hadn't turned up 30 mins later. We also think that the hotel should have more control over the taxis because, although they were normally fine and the drivers spoke very good english and one in particular was nearly fluent and helped us round the sites all the while telling us his life story, there were a couple of occasions when there was no air conditioning so it was like a furnace when 43 degrees outside! We had very good nights where we weren't disturbed at all - even with people next door as the rooms are solid concrete. All the staff are incredibly friendly and everyone you pass will greet you. They are very well trained and speak extremely good english and simply can't do enough to help you. Everything you would like is no trouble at all. The only thing I would say was that sometimes I, in particular, did feel that sometimes they were a little too friendly and sometimes I felt that they were staring as I walked past. We found the staff from Health and Beauty spa a little annoying also as everyday they would come round and pester you into getting certain treatments done which in the end we did! I had a manicure and pedicure which was really good value and a lot cheaper than it would be in England. They painted my nails with flowers that looked really pretty. The only negatives were that the colour choice they had wasn't that big and they didn't tell us that because there were two of us having the treatment they would do us one after the other which took nearly 2 hours of our evening. When they were advertising it, it came over that we would be having it at the same time and be done in 40mins.The food was excellent and generally we found the chicken to be the best meat to have and to avoid beef. There was one day when my brother was sick and felt quite ill after we had room service so its probably better to stick with going out because it isn't anymore expensive. We tried La Fleur, Zigolini and the buffet and Zigolini was our favourite overall although La Fleur was lovely. It was very good value and the menu was extensive. If you ask you can sit outside - we did one evening and the next time we returned there were two other families sitting at prepared tables, beautifully lit. The staff are the nicest they could be especially our waiter Ahmed who we had for 2 nights and he even made up some special vegetable and rice dish for us. The buffet breakfasts are excellent with a wide choice including 6/7 juices and hot and cold options. They had pancakes for my brother and I which was nice and the eggs were the best we have ever tasted! The only thing that could be improved is the coffee service. We felt that it was an effort for the waiters to make even a small cappucino. There were quite a few small sparrows flying around and their 'natural waste' was desposed over the tables and chairs which wasn't really pleasant, however this is being a bit precious as generally it was absolutely fine! We had lunch mostly at the bar by the Horizon pool and the staff were incredibly friendly, the menu was great - everything just took a while to be served -upto an hour for food even if it wasn't particularly busy. For activies inside the hotel grounds apart from the swimming pools - there are tennis courts, a zoo, a ride on the resident camel, felucca rides and various organised things like a table tennis comp. The zoo housed tortoises, rabbits, monkeys, pelicans, a camel and goats/sheep. The keepers are more than happy to let you come in and handle the animals which was lovely. Ramses was the resident camel and him and his owner let you have short rides around the hotel complex. He was very good natured! Defenitely not to be missed! We went on a felucca ride down the nile for an hour in the evening and it was like paradise! We saw the sunset come down, it was amazing! Just make sure there is enough wind otherwise you go on a motarboat which isn't nearly as nice. The arcade near reception is really good, offering various shops and their mechandise and a 'general' shop that sold suntan cream, water, crisps, chocolate and nuts, t shirts and guidebooks. There was also a library. Day trips can be booked at short notice through Thomas Cook in the reception hall including a hot air balloon ride which was a real highlight in the holiday. Having said that you can organise some trips yourself at considerably reduced price. We were incredibly impressed with the General Manager Urs Umbricht from Switzerland, we saw him many a time chatting with the guests and he clearly takes a very active interest in the running of the hotel! He was a truly amazing person! The GM’s leadership is superb and is reflected throughout the island – immaculate gardens, spotless public areas and paths and guest rooms, swimming pools you could drink from, superb well prepared food from various restaurants, very well trained, happy and friendly staff throughout who speak extremely well of him… The list is endless. If you are staying for a week, in terms of excursions we would recommend Valley of the Kings, Valley of the Artisans, Karnak temple, Luxor temple, Luxor museum, hot air balloon ride - hod hod soliman and a felucca ride. My brother would just like to say that in particular the Hawaii pizza was very nice. ;)
Thank you so much for such an incredible holiday, we are in no doubt that we will be returning. We unreservedly recommend this Island hotel for a wonderful, memorable family holiday. Thank you again! The Strivens Family

Room Tip: Rooms on the upper floor of Block 7, are the best as they offer modern, large and airy rooms with fa...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, April 26, 2012
Dear Blue Zebra from London,

Thank you very much for having spent your recent holiday with your parents at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for sharing your very positive and extensive impressions about the hotel with the Tripadvisor community.

It makes me really very happy to see how much as well young people like Luxor and our Hotel, even I believe you would not mind a bit more action or a disco in the evenings?
Your wish for more TV channels is heard and as soon as normality comes back to Egypt and business it will be one of the important things to acquire, next to the channels you are mentioning I am sure your pap’s would like to have SKY Sports, ESPN, Euro Sports and so on. I personally would love to have Discovery, HBO and so on.

I am sorry you had to wait too long on your departure day for the buggy to pick you up from the room this should not have happened. Taxi’s are not directly connected with the Hotel and it would be easier to control a bag of flees anyway!

As I replied in a previous comment regarding the over friendly young team members, they are not made out of wood. I’ve already had a chat with the Spa & Beauty Salon Ladies to be more discreet and less pushy on the clients, please accept my apologies for that.

I am very pleased that you liked our food selection and that we could meet with your palate. Beef in Egypt is not like beef; for a stew which usually is cooked over a longer period, we use imported Indian Beef, for steaks we use Brazilian Beef which is very soft and tender and can be eaten even medium rare! That your mom got sick one day can have many reasons, if it would have been the food, others would have become sick too. It usually is because of a bit too much sun, a too cold drink or simply because the body is realizing that the time is just right to be sick during a holiday because of a climate and/or live style change.

Thank you very much for the compliments which are proudly received. A boss can only be as good as his team is and I have the pleasure to be in charge of great bunch of guy’s and ladies. Not always the fastest and sometimes a bit in the skies….., but always with a genuine smile!

We are looking very much forward to welcome you and your family back home on Kings Island in the, hopefully, not so far future.

I remain with,
Sunny regards from unique & ever smiling Luxor.

Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012

We had a super holiday here. What a fabulous bolt hole. The staff were very attentive but more importantly were genuinely friendly and warm. The breaksfast buffet is truly amazing and as It's my favourite meal of the day, I was in heaven. We spent lazy days sat watching the Nile and eating the very delicious pecan and maple ice cream. Mmmmmm. The gym is high tech and has every thing needed to work of the ice cream. This is my third visit to Luxor but my first visit to Jolie Ville. It won't be our last. The only downside to this beautiful oasis is cigarette smoke. We were unable to go into the bar on an evening as smoking is permitted and it was thick. Also, next to the pools smoking was also permitted. Lunchtimes sat outside - again smoking permitted. We had to change our room as smoking is allowed in the rooms and it was seeping through into ours. We spoke to the reception about this and they kindly changed our rooms. It wasn't an issue in the new room as it was the new build. I am suprised at the lack of regard for non smokers from the hotel. This needs to be addressed. But, do go you won't be disappointed. If it wasn't for th smoking this would have had an excellent score.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, April 23, 2012
Dear Burnside Bassett from Yorkshire,

Thank you very much for your resent visit at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for sending your positive opinion about the hotel to Tripadvisor.

As I can see from your comment you are a non smoker, please be advised that ALL our Rooms since the renovation are NON SMOKING as well as all indoor Restaurant but Not the Bars and the open air areas.
I am happy although to read that with the exception of the smoking you have enjoyed your holiday on Kings Island very much.

We are looking very much forward to welcome you back on Kings Island in the future, and remain with,

Sunny regards from spectacular Luxor.

Dunston, Gateshead
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2012

Having just returned from our 3rd visit we are now planning our 4th.

As usual we were greeted with warm smiles and a welcome home drink. It was good to see more guests using the resort as during our last visit there was less than a 20% occupancy due to the unrest. Although not fully resolved we felt perfectly safe and at no time in any danger.

The accomodation is as good as ever as are all the restaurant. Zigalinies the new Italian restaurant was superb. Great food and service at a reasonable price. During our evening meal on day 2 we were approached by Mr Umbricht the general manager. Not realising who he was our friend asked him if he would kindly take a group photo of us. This he did before introducing himself. (how many other general managers would do this) He thanked us for choosing Luxor and the Jolie Ville for our holiday and made us feel more welcome by having a friendly chat with us.

A special mention to Armin the lifeguard at the Horizon pool who entertained us almost everyday and helped as much as he could. Also to Aly the egg chef who makes the best omelets iv ever tasted. A big shukran to both.

See you all again very soon.

Room Tip: The room you are in makes no differance as they are all good.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Deffy 41 from Dunston Gateshead,

Thank you very much for having stayed for the 3rd time at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for taking the time to write your hotel - review on Tripadvisor.

I am happy you have enjoyed your holiday on our little Nile Island once again. Thanks a lot for the compliments for our newly opened Italian Restaurant, the Zigolini, I am glad we could enhance our Restaurant choice for our esteemed clients right on site.

We are looking forward to welcome you back on Kings Island for the 4th time in the not so far future.

I remain with,
Sunny regards from splendid and perfectly peaceful Luxor

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 17, 2012

It's a great hotel and the infinity pool is perfect after a hot day touring around! The only bummer was that the pool closest to our room was closed for renovation so we took the shuttle to get from our room to the pool. Well worth it once there!!

Ahmed checked us in and was incredibly accommodating and personable. We were checked in very quickly and on our way to our rooms to throw on our bathing suits for a little pool time. We stayed in P and the rooms were great! There's a small fridge, the toilets all have bidets which is a highlight for my other half and it's within walking distance from the restaurant and adult pool.

I was so shocked one day when I walked out of my room and right in front of me was their resident camel. He guy made the camel lie down and I was able to get on. He offered to tour me around but I've had my share of animal rides and was just so happy to sit on it for a photo.

We used the shuttle service and it was roomy and ran on time. I wish they would offer more shuttle times.

Overall we had a great time!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear Maui Divers from UK,

Thank you very much for your recent visit to the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor and for publishing your personal hotel experiences on Tripadvisor.

I am sorry for having had to close the “horizon pool” for urgent maintenance works for one week during your stay. It’s open again since a few days and so our 3 pools collection is complete again (Horizon, Relaxing & Infinity) total surface for all, about 5600 square meters of refreshing crystal clear water.

Bidet in the toilet maybe has to be explained, there is no extra bidet in the bathroom but a water splash inside the toilet for the personal hygiene.

Unfortunately I had to cut down 2 trips on the shuttle service to the city due to heavy opposition (road blocked for several hours) by the local taxi drivers who believe we take away the little business they have these days. To keep the church in the village I had to give in.

I am happy that you had enjoyed your stay on Kings Island and we are all looking very much forward to welcome you back home soon!

PS. Best regards from “Ramses” the Camel!

Sunny regards from unique, tranquil & spectacular Luxor

Scarborough UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

As I write this at 6am in the sunshine on the patio outside our room, we are on our 23rd visit to the wonderful Maritim Jolie Ville Hotel on Kings Island, near Luxor, Egypt.
Our first visit, many years ago, started off as a week’s Nile cruise on an excellent boat called RA II which was built in Hull. We then had the choice of various hotels in Luxor in which to spend our second week. We opted for a single hotel on its own Island in the Nile near to Luxor. It comprised ground floor buildings with accommodation in bungalows which meandered throughout the island, which is surrounded by the Nile. The view of blood red sunsets visible from the island’s Sunset Terrace, with Feluccas criss-crossing the Nile in silhouette as the sun sets over the West Bank and lulled by recorded classical music, must be one of the most evocative and memorable experiences ever. To us it is one of the Wonders of the World.
We have been returning there ever since. We call it our second home and staff members still work on the island who remember us from our first visit. From staff, and the original "Sir" on our early visits, I have now been promoted and am called "Mr David". My wife is known as "Madam Lentil Soup". If you have a sense of humour and fun, so have the staff who give excellent service throughout.
Even when fully occupied the hotel gives the impression of being tranquil, spacious and peaceful as everything is spread throughout the island. Whilst there is a road bridge from the mainland to reach the island there is no traffic on the island itself - unless you count silent, battery operated, golf buggies which are available to transfer guests (and supplies) around the amenities.
Recently there have been a number of superb refurbishments to the hotel.
The management and staff, headed by General Manager Urs Umbricht from Switzerland, are all excellent, many going well beyond the call of duty to make a guest’s stay memorable.
Even when your clothes come back from the laundry you think there is a mistake. They are so beautifully presented that you think your order has been replaced - old for new.
I unreservedly recommend this Island hotel for a wonderful, memorable holiday. There is a saying, “If you see the Nile you will return.” Be warned! It worked with us 23 visits ago, and it could work for you!

Room Tip: Rooms on the south side are quieter. Most have spacious garden views but you can have a Nile view fo...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Jolie_Star, General Manager at Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor, responded to this review, April 17, 2012
Dear David F from Scarborough UK,

It is great to have you back at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor for the 23rd time! Thank you very much for your fidelity to the hotel and your very generous review on Tripadvisor, you made me blush... and my team happy!

I am happy to be able to reciprocate the compliments to the many “repeat clients” we are so proud to welcome back home on Kings Island year after year. We are lucky to have such great fidelity among our esteemed clients and they are so very generous and kind to our team members, some even have become close friends. In Switzerland we have a saying: The way you call into the woods the same is the echo!

Thank you very much once again and I hope you still have a good number of days left on our magic island in the middle of the majestic River Nile.

Sunny regards from unique Luxor

Fareham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2012

I have just returned from our 5th visit to this hotel and quite frankly I can't wait to go back again as it gets better and better. Visiting between the 4 and 11 April with my wife, mother in law, sister in law and her two children we had a great week. We stayed in F01,16 and 17 which are the refurbished rooms. I have to say the work the hotel has done in bringing these rooms back up to modern standards is excellent. Last year we were in the new rooms which whilst being very nice (and huge) did not have the same feel of cosiness to them as the (alphabet) villa rooms have.
Whilst we were there the new infinity pool opened up for the season and it was nice to see that this area was now fully complete with the catering area etc now finished and in use. I don't intend to talk about the facilities and catering etc at the hotel as I have previously done this in earlier reviews but rest assured if you never left Kings Island during your stay you would not be disappointed with what is available there.

I had the opportunity of chatting to the General Manager, Urs Umbricht, at breakfast one morning and whilst he accepts numbers are down he is doing his level best to cope with dififcult times and naturally is seeking to increase the number of visitors to the hotel. He said he had invited a UK travel journalist to the hotel to personally see what the hotel and Luxor itself is like at the present time. It's at times like this I wish I was a journalist! The staff at this hotel, including the GM, are very proud of the fact that they are at the Jolie Ville and many see it as a privilege to be there.

I note from other recent entries on TA comment about the lack of visitors to Egypt. This is hugely apparent as I have never seen Luxor or indeed the hotel as tourist free in all my visits. Last year when we visited it was not long after the country had been cleared by the UK Foreign Office to travel to the country. There were more tourists in Luxor then than now and I really can't understand why people are not visiting. At no time did I feel unhappy about the safety aspect of being in Luxor. The policing of the city appears to be no different to all my previous visits. At no time in any of our visits have we had any problems with the local people - yes there can be some hassle from the caleche (horse and carriage) owners, felucca (boat) owners when you are on the river front and also some shopkeepers, certainly not all, in the souk but this is the Egyptian way and you soon get used to it and learn how to politely deal with it.

All I can say fellow travellers is GO to Luxor, stay at the relaxing Jolie Ville, visit all the attractions etc that Luxor has to offer - you will not be disappointed and I am pretty certain that when you have been once you will want to go back again.

In conclusion, for any cynics out there, I was not asked to submit this entry by anyone in Luxor - it is of my own volition and is 100% genuine.

Dear Stubbington Bob from Fareham UK,

Thank you very much for having visited at the Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor once again this April 2012 with your family and for your kind words which are very much appreciated. All Luxor is in desperate need of a positive press telling the world that it is perfectly safe and absolutely risk free to travel to this marvelous destination.

I am happy to read that the renovated rooms in the “traditional” hotel section are matching with your taste. I am not really surprised about that, you, as most of our many esteemed “regulars” prefer this part of the hotel. What can I say; old habits are hard to be changed, even with superb, spacious, airy and light flooded new deluxe rooms!

We are looking very much forward to welcome you back home on Kings Island maybe again in April next year?

I remain with,
Sunny regards from unique & spectacular Luxor in spring.

Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor

Been to Maritim Jolie Ville Kings Island Luxor? Share your experiences!