“Loved it!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #25 of 57 hotels in Luxor
Kent
“Loved it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I have nothing but fond memories of this hotel. A peaceful oasis on the banks of the Nile with beautifully manicured gardens and friendly attentive staff.

The rooms are not quite five star by European standards but clean and functional. Similarly, the self service restaurant offered a fairly limited choice of fairly repetitive dishes. One notable exception was the standard of pastries which was usually very good.

Everything else about the hotel is first class. It’s a place to wind down and relax rather than anything else. Apart from the historical sites in the vicinity, there is little else to do. A shuttle service into town is available but Luxor doesn’t have much to offer and the locals tend to hassle tourists excessively.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Karnak Resort Luxor, responded to this review, April 21, 2013
Dear Guest,

We would like to seize this opportunity to thank you for your valuable comments and assuring that we will keep maintaining our quality of service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again in the nearest future at your 02nd home Sofitel Karnak-Luxor.

1,302 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Manchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We stayed 5 nights and didn't want for anything. We went to relax after a trip through Jordan, Cairo and a Nile cruise. It was perfect, within it's own grounds away from the hubub and with a fantastic pool to laze around. The gardens are beautiful and we spent most mornings watching the birds in amongst the trees and shrubbery drinking tea. The food was very good and we could eat breakfast up to 10.30am which is a big plus for us. We enjoyed the bars although the 'singer' was a bit ropy when we were there. All staff were helpful and efficient. Fantastic hotel.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Karnak Resort Luxor, responded to this review, April 20, 2013
Dear Guest,

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Sofitel Karnak-Luxor to spend your recent holiday . We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests in the trip advisor site and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards.

Many thanks for your comments, it is only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests, such as your good self that we are able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be at Sofitel Karnak.

Cairo, Al Qahirah, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013

We have stayed at this hotel while celebrating our 2nd wedding anniversary. The hotel is simply PERFECT. It has the best breakfast buffet I have ever seen,, the variety is in everything even different types of bread!

The rooms were very clean, bathrooms were spacious, and clean. Beds were really very comforting, and the best thing at all was the nice staff!

The hotel is located on the Nile were you can enjoy sitting in the afternoon watching the lovely sparkles on the Nile surface. I will definitely go there again!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Karnak-Luxor. It is always a pleasure to receive client's feedback.

Lancashire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I have just returned from yet another superb holiday at Sofitel Karnak. Unfortunately I suffered an accident on arrival at the airport necessitating several stitches in my leg. This was attended to at the airport and I duly arrived at the hotel somewhat late. I was greeted with concern for my well being but also with genuine welcome and friendliness. As always I have been treated with the utmost kindness, care and respect. Because of my injury everyone - from the top members to the bottom members of the staff - went out of their way to help me and make my stay as happy as it could be. My holiday could have been a disaster but thanks to the wonderful staff at Sofitel Karnak I managed to still have a great holiday (even though it was very hot and I wasn't able to swim in the lovely pool). The doctor at the hotel attended to me every day - sometimes twice a day when necessary - and was kind and considerate. In previous reviews I have been reluctant to name names, however, this time there are some staff who deserve special mention. First being Ahmed Mostafa for his help and consideration. The whole lifeguard team deserve praise for the way they help not only me, but everyone, to have a relaxed, comfortable stay by the pool. Thanks to Amer at the pool bar, Radwan and Hussein in Moorish cafe and last but certainly not least is Ebeed a great cleaner who cheered me up with fresh flowers most days. All in all I have had a great, albeit different, holiday and look forward to a quick recovery so I can return. One last thing any woman travelling alone and wishing to visit Luxor please try the Sofitel Karnak - you will be safe.

Dear Guest,

We are very much appreciated to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Luxor Karnak. It is always a pleasure to receive client’s feedback.

Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We've just returned from 2 weeks all inclusive at the Sofitel. We're a couple in our mid 30's who like a night out but primarily went to relax. If you're reading this as you're about to embark then lucky you! The hotel is fabulous. Beautiful grounds, lovely staff, great pool, good drinks (large measures of spirits and the local Stella beer is a nice drop), can't go wrong really.

Few little hints - not once during our stay did any of the staff ask for or seem to be expecting a tip. We gave a little as we went and although this resulted in a few extra favours here and there, we would have still been served/waited on/smiled at and given good service with or without greasing palms. This was a relief as I was freaking myself out about what I should pay who before we left. Special mentions for Mohammed and Hassan in Carters Bar, Terry who served at lunchtime and Bahdri our waiter, all of whom couldn't do enough for us.

If you get off the shuttle boat in Luxor, you'll be descended on initially by people selling you things etc - don't freak out about it, just keep on walking if you don't want to buy anything and they'll soon thin out.

There is a mad little bar called Genesis about a mile away from Sofitel. It's well worth a look in as entertainment at night is a bit thin on the ground. Genesis have a resident camel, 2 ostriches, 2 dogs a Horse and a desert eagle, all of whom the owner will be happy to introduce you to. They also do a cracking 2 course Sunday dinner for £7.50. We had a couple of cracking nights there.

Luxor is fascinating, just go with the flow - the Egyptians are really good natured folk. Thanks to all the staff and guests who gave us such a cracking holiday - I could bang on about it all night but you should always try to have your own adventures and I don't want to spoil it for anybody. No complaints from us though and we would return in a heartbeat. The only downside was that somebody kept eating all the brocolli at dinner time! ;-)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for your comments concerning your recent visit at Sofitel Karnak-Luxor spending your holiday and for taking time to put your feed back in the tripadvisor site. We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards.

Many thanks for your positive comments, it is only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests, such as your good self that we are able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us and that we have met your expectations. We place great value on your continued relationship with Accor Hotels.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again at Sofitel Karnak-Luxor or any of Accor Hotels Worldwide.

Portsmouth, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 27, 2013

First class, it is the second time we have stayed in this hotel and we were not dissapointed, just far enough out of town to be safe, and behind gated and guarded grounds, right on the banks of the Nile everything is good about this hotel, and I have no problems in recomending. The management and staff have got it right, nothing seems to be a trouble to them. The pool and grounds are very well managed, and tended, brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

At 61 years of age this was my first package holiday. A special Thos. Cook offer.

Handicapped by Rheumatoid arthritis, I (rashly some felt) set off alone.

All fears and concerns were swept away on arrival. I settled down to a week of perfect rest and recuperation.

If I had to say what was best. Two things spring to mind, the location and the people.

Staff couldn't have been nicer. There was a team spirit. I felt safe, confident, happy. Someone was on hand at all times to help out or to inform.

Guests spanned all generations and walks of life. It turns out many were regulars at the hotel and commended the place highly - one guest was on her 11th stay!

Limited in my movements I didn't get to see much outside Luxor itself and Westbank. Nevertheless the hotel, a veritable oasis, was so very pleasant that being there was a treat.

There were no hassles. Reception (be sure to consult them for advice) ensured guests got good outside services: taxis, boats, tours, guides, shopping.

The spa centre is managed by a professional - Ahmed - who is pretty knowledgeable and can arrange special activities such as desert bivouacs to geysers, Hurgada etc. Reflexology was available in my own room. The standard of massages (medical) was good.

Restaurants at the hotel offered varied, fresh and good food. Hygiene was spot on and the service excellent.

My room was close to the activities desk by the pool. Here staff were at hand to organise all sorts of enjoyable events.

I am booked to return next month I liked it so much! Let's hope things go as well.

Egypt is a great country and the people seem determined that political uncertainty will not interfere with their precious tourist industry. Consequently they are dedicated and ready to go the extra mile for us.

Be guided by the advice given at the hotel and you cannot go wrong.

At the ministry of tourism, where I ventured to make general enquires, I learned that it was unknown for tourists to be harmed there.

Take plenty of small notes (Egyptian pounds) for tips people will show themselves to be grateful.

At tourist sites (temples etc) be polite but firm in dismissing requests for tips if you feel harassed.

Enjoy the journey.

Room Tip: Pool/part Nile views