Subject: Sofitel Karnak Luxor
Location: Luxor, Nile River Valley, Egypt, Africa
Title: Just far enough away....
Agree with many of previous reviews. Firstly though cut through the madness at Luxor airport and do not deal with anyone who approaches you regards the obligatory visa. Go straight to one of the two small bank windows situated far left and you will pay half the price, $15.00 p.p.
Grew fonder of the Sofitel as days went on. A few km's outside Luxor town it is gloriously quiet, just far enough away from the town, very well appointed with lovely well kept grounds and bordering the Nile which was spectacular from Sundowner bar.
Went all-inc for first time ever with some trepidation, obviously the evening dining experience is not the same as being served and is over rather too quickly but the food is appetising and we very much enjoyed the more authentic dishes. There is no night life as such, enjoyed belly dancing etc which is on most Fridays. The only bar is very dark and the singer rather loud precluding conversation but seemed full every evening after dinner. Breakfast very good with the exception of the orange juice which the excellent manager assures us will be upgraded. Coffee great which makes a change! Variety of bars and virtually anything you like during the day from the most friendly and attentive staff. Most amused by the variety of animals that had been fashioned from towels left on our bed to return to after a long day, Ebeed especially attentive!
Felt a bit silly in a wrist band, especially if dressed up a bit for the evening, would be good to have a much slimmer white one if an alternative could not be found. (A discreet removable small stamp on inside wrist perhaps?)
Loved the courtesy boat, made a lovely mini cruise. We took 4 trips, must sees are Valley of Kings, Habou Temple, Karnak and Luxor Temples and we spent a long day cruising the Nile on the way to Dandara, set off at 6.15 am and not back till 8.15, probably a couple of hours too long. This due to a really enthusiastic and informed guide at the Temple resulting in the delay.
Spend a bit of time getting a guide to suit you by talking to others who have been there a few days or pre-book using a Luxor guide website. The balloon trip highly recommended by those who partook.
Very sad to see the lack of tourists making life desperate for the locals. As a result there is some hassle on the quaysides but you learn to deal with it. Make sure the price you negotiate for taxi , carriage ride or Felucca is adhered to, we were surprised to be asked separately for the horse and driver!
If you decide to eat out in the evening taking your own wine or beer where none is offered is quite acceptable in some restaurants.
Our holiday aim was to combine their wonderful culture with some sun, both came up trumps.
If you are looking for opulence you might choose the Winter Palace Hotel but having sampled both we prefer the less stuffy and extremely friendly Sofitel. Happy holiday!
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Karnak Luxor Hotel
- Sofitel Karnak Luxor Hotel Luxor
- Accor Karnak Luxor
- Sofitel Luxor
- Sofitel Karnak
- Luxor Sofitel
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- located on the east bank of the majestic Nile in one of the most exciting & intriguing settings, Sofitel Karnak lets you experience the timeless & exotic beauty of Luxor, 6 km from the city center,18 km from the Luxor international airport, 3 km from the glorious Karnak Temple. Savor the wide selection of fine cuisines at our main restaurant or a-la-carte restaurant "O'Nile". Discover ancient history at your doorstep in any of our 347 rooms& suites or enjoy the vast leisure facilities the hotel offers. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with ACCOR, Travelocity, Agoda, Cheap Tickets, Venere, Otel, Olotels, Hotels.com, Expedia, Priceline, HotelsClick and Tingo so you can book your Sofitel Karnak Luxor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.