“Very good but could do better” 4 of 5 stars

Karnak Resort Luxor
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   El Zinia Gebly Street, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #27 of 56 hotels in Luxor
Lymington
“Very good but could do better”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

Just arrived home after a relaxing one week stay at the Sofitel. We booked the hotel and transfers through Alpha-rooms and everything went smoothly. Thanks Alpha-rooms.
The Sofitel is an enigma being both good and a little bit bad.
BEDROOMS: We pre-booked a first floor room with a large bed and were not disappointed. The room was comfortable as was the bed, but the bathroom was in need of rejuvenating. Every room has Tea and coffee making facilities as well as a very efficient fridge which is stocked every day with bottled water. My only gripe concerns the TV which had every other European country TV channels buy no UK Channels. It"s very nice to come back to your room after a days sunbathing and watch the BBC news for 10 mins or so before showering and dressing for dinner. But that"s just a minor issue
FOOD: Breakfast and Dinner are taken in the main restaurant where there is enough choice of well cooked and presented food for most tastes, but I could well imagine it would become extremely repetitive if you stay longer than one week. Lunch is taken in the pool side restaurant where again there is plenty of choice.
For wine drinkers amongst you the Red and White wines are very drinkable but are only served at Lunch and Dinner. This was probably the best wine we have tasted on an All Inclusive basis.
THE GROUNDS: Magnificent, well tendered grassy areas with lots of comfy sun-loungers gently sloping down to the edge of the mighty Nile. Just to lay there and take in the panorama was in it"s self so relaxing.
ENTERTAINMENT: Do not go to this hotel if you want lots of activities during the day and brash show-times at night.The entertainment is very low key with a man singing nearly every-night in Carters bar. The only problem is the bar area is so small and the singing so loud it was hard to have a conversation at all.
CLEANLINESS: Most of the hotel is spotless but I did notice that the floor of the main restaurant terrace was not cleaned the whole week we were there and one morning when we went out there to have breakfast I stood on broken glass which was laying under the table.
THE POOL: I can"t comment on the Pool as we didn"t use it except to say it looked clean and had lots of sun-loungers placed around it.
TOWELS: I"m not going to comment on the actual towels which are very good but on the guests who deem it necessary to place Towels on sun-loungers early morning and then go off for the day. You know who you are! We went out a couple of times in the morning and always found plenty of empty sun-loungers when we returned midday. And you can"t blame the Germans, most of the guests that did it were British.
STAFF. I purposely left this till last. The great majority of the staff are brilliant being both helpful and friendly, but we did encounter two particular members of the staff who weren"t so helpful and friendly, but it was only two.
Would we go back to this hotel? YES, but only for a weeks stay as we both think two weeks would be boring.

Room Tip: Contact them before you arrive and request whatever it is you want
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Karnak Resort Luxor, responded to this review, December 4, 2012
Dear Guest,

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Sofitel Karnak-Luxor to spend your recent holiday . We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests in the tripadvisor site and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards.

Many thanks for your comments, it is only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests, such as your good self that we are able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope your next visit will be at Sofitel Karnak with a lot of improvements as you expect.

1,310 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (189)
Amityville, NY
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

First I would like to say I titled the review very confused based off of opinions. Not only TripAdvisor reviews but also reviews from other sites. A majority of these reviews are extremely positive regarding this hotel which of course is fine. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion. However, I had to start questioning where some of these other travelers have been to prior to the Sofitel in order to rate it very good and excellent. They must have stayed in ice boxes or motels. Either that or I have a completely different set of standards. With that said, I'll explain why I am rating this hotel what I am rating it in no particular order of importance.

1. Flooring - Maybe one of my fellow readers can let me know that I'm just crazy for expecting hotel rooms to be carpeted. And if not the entire room, how about a piece of the room? With it being 2012, I would expect all "5 star" hotels to have carpeting in the room.

2. Bedding - The bed was like a piece of wood. Awful

3. Bathroom - The bathroom was clearly a motel quality bathroom. There were small stains in the tub, the shower head was very weak, the toilet seat had to be forcefully pushed up in order to stay up, awful.

4. I opened the closet on the first morning and I said verbatim, "Of course there's not iron. Why would there be an iron in here?" What 5 star hotel doesn't have an iron in the room??

5. TV Reception - Does anyone go on vacation to watch TV? Hopefully not. So why is this on here you ask? Because again, it's 2012 and the tv shouldn't look like it's operating off of an antenna or a wired hanger.

6. Internet - There is no internet in the rooms so you have to use the internet in the lobby. The thing that sucks, is that it was completely down.

7. Smell - When I left the room it smelled like something was burnt. I don't know if it was offerings or what, but it smelled terrible. And this was for 2 straight days.

8. Now this was a huge pet peeve of mine. I was working out in my room early one morning and I admit I was making a bunch of noise so the room below me was being disturbed. I wish I didn't disturb them. But anyway, they called the front desk and instead of calling my room to inform me I was making some noise, they came to my room and banged on my door at 6am. Thankfully they didn't have attitude because it would have been an episode of locked up abroad.

9. Finally, my first night I went to the bar section to order food. I went to the man behind the bar and ordered something. Instead of saying "yes sir" or "excellent choice" he says, "the restaurant upstairs is open and there's a buffet". Ummmm, ok. How about I get what I ordered instead of being led away? Where the heck am I?

There were a couple of decent things I guess. The comp breakfast buffet was decent and the price helped out. Other than that, trash.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Luxor Karnak. It is always a pleasure to receive client's feedback.

Accrington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

Our first time in Luxor, and we were both pleased with this hotel, which offered everything we needed. At times the staff could be over attentive and you felt they were just after tips, when all you wanted was to relax and enjoy the sun. All inclusive proved to be a great decision for us.

We were less pleased with over bearing pressure from the locals in Luxor town trying to get you to buy things from them, which at times bordered on intimidation as we were followed some distance by several young men, and would not respond to any form of us telling them to leave us alone. One man said he'd followed us from the hotel, which was a bit disconcerting .

The result of their hassling meant that like many other people we returned to our hotels earlier than we had wanted to avoid this treatment . I wish the authorities would create a section of town where the locals behave less forcefully, and that way, the tourists get to spend, and Luxor gets the boost to its economy it desperately needs . I've come home to buy souvenirs online, and feel disappointed that I wasn't able to get things there and help them to earn a living. Several people at the airport said they would not come back because the way the locals didn't understand that they would get more if they could just give tourists a little bit of breathing space.

Perhaps the tour companies can develop something in conjunction with Luxor tourism to educate the locals to understand that tourists will spend money if they don't feel pressured and intimidated, and they will then all benefit .

Room Tip: We only sampled one room the hotel is only 2 storeys high and has wonderful gardens surrounding it...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
SofitelKarnak, General Manager at Karnak Resort Luxor, responded to this review, December 5, 2012
Dear Guest,

We would like to seize this opportunity to thank you for your valuable comments and assuring that we will keep maintaining our quality of service.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again in the nearest future at your 02nd home Sofitel Karnak-Luxor.

scotland united kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

this is my fourth time to this hotel.i love the location.nice grounds.most staff very friendly.bar staff and waiters excellent.special mention to mahmoud amer.wish all hotel staff were as good as them.there is a few things need to be adressed.our bath was not clean on arrival.my mums room had nothing in minibar whole week we were there..the breakfast is same.no choice of fresh fruit.toilets at reception constantly stink.only saw general manager on day of departure.i feel some areas in this hotel the standards have declined.i hope these can be rectified as i know this hotel and some staff could perform to a much higher level

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear Guest,

As a valuable and precious repeater guest, I would like to seize this opportunity to thank you for choosing Sofitel Karnak-Luxor another time to spend your recent holiday and considering the hotel as your 02nd home .

Once again many thanks for your comments, we are looking forward to welcoming you, assuring that your next visit will be as pleasant as the previous one.

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012 via mobile

it is een very friendly and clean hotel. we liked the very good service. nice swimmingpool. nice rooms. good service. good food. we like to come back. and most of all we liked the coffee. we seen luxor temple.karnaktemple and the valley of the kings. every day we watched the sundown at the terras

• Stayed November 2012
Dear Guest,

Let me seize this opportunity to thank you for your comments concerning your recent visit at Sofitel Karnak-Luxor spending your holiday and for taking time to put your feed back in the tripadvisor site. We are greatly appreciate any comments made by our guests and constantly strive to achieve the highest quality of standards.

Many thanks for your positive comments, it is only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests, such as your good self that we are able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

We are very pleased that you have enjoyed your overall stay with us and that we have met your expectations. We place great value on your continued relationship with Accor Hotels.

We are looking forward to welcoming you once again at Sofitel Karnak-Luxor or any of Accor Hotels Worldwide.

Macclesfield
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

the management are letting it down!
Peaceful, low rise, beautiful location overlooking the Nile, the grounds are totally amazing, astoundingly kitsch decorin public places.....
Rooms ok - but on the small size - no plug sockets except in the bathroom - not an ideal place if you want to plug in an nti-mosquito gizmo.Bathroom: unusual plumbing - shower and tap isist on working together or not at all; bath - flimsy - stand for a shower and you can feel the bath supports; take care if you are less than perfectly mobile - the shower screen is fixed and very large - so it is not easy to get ino or out of the bath/shower.
Fist hotel we have been to where you cannot chage money - either large Egyptian nores for small, or Sterling into Egyptian! The is an AGM - but no use if you have taken sterling.
Staff amazing - even though you know they are like that so they get a tip...the good service increases as you near the end of your stay.
Entertainment: Good outdoor Egyptian night each Friday. Otherwise - appalling singer in Carter's Bar - and in winter there are no other inside bars open to escape to. Sundowners - amazing place to watch the sunset and have some peace - but can get cold - and closes early if few customers. Best coffee and drinks in the hotel here - as well as Shishas if you want one!
Free Shuttle boat ino Luxor - beautiful short trip - odd times though
The Biggest Downside? THE FOOD!!!! As guest numbers go down the choice decreases...even the salads and the choices in the keep warm compartments...and if like me you prefer for health reasons to only eat the freshly cooked protein...BEWARE. One nght an amazing Beef Wellington as a main - was the next night followed by Pizza - and then two nights with NOTHING freshly cooked. Anoth er night there was roast beef so togh eating shoe leather would have been easier. We did mention it to the restaurant manager - who told us we should have asked the chef for something different - but why have to ask for decent foodAt breakafast the egg man did wonderful creations; there was a lovely Egyptian cheese - then suddenly it disappeared and as replaced by silver foil covered "Vache qui rit" - we followed the manager's earlier advice and asked - and after quite a long wait white cheese was brought out and plonked down without a word. A good job we were not there for the food! Our two weeks would not insire us to return here unless there was a big management shake up.
Yet we loved the area and got out and about most days. As well as seeing the main sites on the West Bank - do go and see Carter's House - fascinating in itself - but even more so with a 30 minute hologram talk by" the big man himself'; and make sure you get to the Tombs of the Nobles - totally amazing - Sennefer's in particular I will never forget... And seeing all the locals emplyed moving earrth from newer discoveries was just as I had imagined it to be when Tut's tomb was first discovered!
To go across you can get a taxi outside the hotel. Or you can use the Shuttle boat to Luxor, then cross over to the West Bank by ferry or private boat - then get a taxi, donkey or bike..
Or you can phone Mohamed Nile Excursions +201006772739 - kareem.boat@yahoo.com - he can pick you up from the hotel - by boat or taxi - and arrange everything for you: Valley of the kings/queens/tombs of the nobles - longer excursions to anywhere in Egypt - or even if you are simply nervous of going shopping on your own - he will take you - and make sure you are not hassled - AND get things at proper prices!

Dear Guest,

We are very much appreciated to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Luxor Karnak. It is always a pleasure to receive client’s feedback.

Herefordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

We thoroughly enjoyed our stay at Sofitel Karnak. It was always a pleasure to return to our comfy room there at the end of a long day in the ruins.

The corridors of the hotel are actually outdoor gardens, with colourful flowers and sweet scented frangipani. There are many arches and cool open spaces throughout the hotel and grounds. The gardens are pretty, carefully groomed, and overlooking the river.

Sauna was good, operating at 85C to 90C. Also there's a jacuzzi, squash courts, gym, all looked good, open until 8pm. There is a large swimming pool which we didn't have time to test as for some reason it closes at sunset, about 6pm.

The "superior" room was very nice, upstairs, with an elegant domed ceiling above the excellent comfortable super-king-size bed, and a sofa alcove, and a tiny balcony, immaculate brilliantly lit bathroom with marble. Everything super clean, except the pillows which had an unfortunate aroma of other people's head sweat (but I've got a sensitive nose). The only problem was the fridge was too noisy to leave switched on over night.

It is a BIG hotel, so it is fairly impersonal, however the reception staff were friendly and attentive.

The buffet breakfast has limited but quite nutritious items for vegans: traditional "fooul" broad beans, white beans in tomato sauce, bread, tomatoes, cereal. Coffee not great. Alas almost no fresh fruit. Breakfast attending staff generally behaved quite strangely, they look very bored and unhappy in the job (can't blame them themselves for that of course!) but once they were frankly quite rude to us.

The hotel is located out of town to the north of Luxor, which means that it is nice and quiet, and in the morning you hear birdsong instead of traffic. 15mins by taxi to the centre of town costing 20egp one way without too much bargaining, as at Oct 2012. Free scheduled boat trip from the hotel to the centre of town, is a very nice trip in itself, seeing all the river birds along the way. Friendly and helpful boat captain. The hotel isn't practically walkable to the town centre or to Karnak temple, as the road isn't nice to walk along, but its always easy to hail a taxi on the road. Reception can call taxis (which are queueing outside the gates). Hotel-booked taxi to the airport costs 45egp(+ 5egp airport parking fee) [takes only about 20mins], which is worth knowing when you arrive at the airport, as the taxis and touts will try to take you for much more than that.

It's a really nice hotel.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

We are very delighted to review your comments regarding your recent stay at Sofitel Luxor Karnak. It is always a pleasure to receive the client's feedback, it is only through valuable feedback received from our valued guests we will be able to maintain and further improve the quality of our services.

Gamal Hassan

Been to Karnak Resort Luxor? Share your experiences!