The rooms are spacious,spotlessly clean and the huge gardens superb –both by day and in the romantically lighted evenings. The staff are polite,professional and multilingual.
It's excellent location and attractive rooms make it a good choice and we will surely return there .
BUT BEWARE the Saturday night folklore Buffet .The food was a large variety of Egyptain dishes ranging from the bland to the dull .
The BBQ steaks were stringy flank Steak ,as thin as bacon strips .The desserts were as usual syrupy but the pistachio fillings were scarce.
The “folklore”consisted of two ladies introduced as belly dancers .I’m not an expert on belly dancing but I’ve seen it often enough ( in Egypt and other Middle Eastern countries) to recognize it.
The younger of the two ladies performance might have passed muster as “bump and grind” in a second rate strip club. Any resemblance to belly dancing was purely coincidental.
The other lady whose “best before date” was approaching my own,may have seen a few real belly dance performances and was attempting an imitation thereof.
The music was so loud that we could hardly converse at our table. My request to the F+B Mgr to lower the volume was met with :”If the music isn’t loud she can’t move her body”!!
THE PRICE EGP 180 (US$32.-)
The Cherry on the Sunday : A bottle of Mineral water EDG 40 (U.S.$ 7.00 ) ten times the outside price!!
An equivalent ,but very much tastier,meal in a nearby, upper middle class, Egyptian restaurant would cost EGP 60 (U.S.$ 11.00).
Do stay at the hotel but eat outside
Every time we come to Egypt our transport is arranged by the super –friendly Mr.Maghrapy of El Sherif Tours.
His modern air –con minibusses are driven by careful, professional drivers whose English is sufficient to understand where we want to go , what time to pick us up ,etc.
I particularly appreciate their punctuality. They’re usually a bit early and they’re NEVER late. That makes for a relaxing trip.
We’re coming back to Egypt again next September and we’re already looking forward to our return and to seeing Maghrapy waiting for us at the airport.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located on the banks of the River Nile in the midst of a tropical garden in the city centre, near the luxor Temple and other attractions such as the Karnak Temple, the Luxor museum, the International Convention Centre and the Mummification Museum. The Pavillon Winter Palace features three restaurants, two bars and a swimming pool. We apologize for any inconvenience that may occur due to the construction work taking place nearby the hotel as of June 14 th 2008 for a period of 6 months. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travelocity, ACCOR, Cheap Tickets, Priceline, Orbitz, Despegar.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo and Hotels.com so you can book your Sofitel Pavillon Winter Luxor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Pavillon Winter Luxor Hotel Luxor
- Pavillon Winter Hotel Luxor
- Luxor Pavillon Winter Hotel
- New Winter Palace Luxor
- Luxor Sofitel
- Winter Palace Hotel Luxor