“Do not look anywhere else!” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Pavillon Winter Luxor
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corniche El Nile St, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
Zurich, Switzerland
“Do not look anywhere else!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2013

Sharing facilites with its big brother, the Winter Palace Hotel, the Winter Pavillion provided me excellent value for money. I must confess that my room rate was a bargain. The prices for the following day were already almost fivefold!

However, the manicured gardens and generous pool are a world of peace and dignity in itself, a relief after seeing the monuments - and not finding anything else to match the excitement in Luxor. Very spacious rooms and sober decor overall make the stay a pampering experience. With the Luxor temple across the street, what more could you ask? Travelling alone, I chose the Winter Palace Royal Bar as dining option, where I tried the best Mezze I remember, atmospheric period architecture and very professional service.

Room Tip: Rooms looking the gardens are rewarding.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
  • Korean first
Copenhagen, Denmark
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

I always stay at The Winter Palace whenever visiting Luxor and always find The Pavillon -room 4004- very pleasant - the location is perfect - the garden is beautiful - the service is excellent
I shall certainly return
Kind regards
Niels Aagaard

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

The Hague
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We just returned from a one-week vacation to Luxor. We have not been to Egypt and, for that matter, Luxor before, and - as many others presumably - we were somewhat unsure what to expect and what we will get into. Our skepticism proved completely unfounded: we had an absolutely wonderful stay, which, among other things, is due to the fantastic hotel we stayed at: the pavilion at the Winter Palace. While the pavilion itself is not a 5-star venue (in contrast to the Old Winter Palace - even though we did not see the rooms) - it is a good and perfectly fine 4-star hotel - the setting in combination with the absolutely divine Old Winter Palace (lounge, saloon, just looking at it), the gardens (to die for!), the pool area, and the many nice details made our stay a 5-star and very-good-value-for-money experience. Sure, as others pointed out here, there are details that can be improved - e.g., the pool area may need some updating here and there - but this was more than compensated by the many lovely aspects of the setting and, last but not least, the impeccable service and super friendliness of the staff.

Some things - Sofitel note - could be better though: Wifi maybe for free (at least make sure it works in the lobby - thanks)? We tried both restaurants of the Winter Palace and were not impressed with the cooking (service super though!), in particular the non-oriental ("French") food. The cooking is very old-fashioned and the menu needs to rejuvenated. A modern twist to oriental / fusion cooking combined with a less stuffy setting can't be so difficult, can't it? Prices are somewhat too high, too, given the competition. On a positive note, we also had tea and high tea and tried the bar - all very nice!

All in all, many thanks to the staff for a wonderful stay - we will certainly come back.

Just a note on the hassling issue in Luxor - an issue that concerned us beforehand. We found the hassling much less worse than expected - at least in Luxor itself (not so at the West Bank sites though!). A friendly couple of thank you's and smiles worked for us, and, through being "hassled", we got in touch with a helpful caleche guy, who facilitated a taxi trip to the West Bank and a very nice felluca experience for us - all very good value. We also experienced that life is tough for many in Luxor due to the low tourist numbers - so go now and spent you well-earned Euros or dollars!

Dinner-wise we strongly recommend Salahadeen at Mara's House - see our review.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Once again we have had a wonderful stay at the Pavillon. Being returning guests we were immediately recognised and remembered by Mr Oraby Concierge at the Pavillon, always a most helpful man.

Our rooms were as requested on the fifth floor. We were delighted with an upgrade to a suite with views over garden and pool.and another of the rooms our party occupied having a wonderful views which overlooked, garden, Theban hills and if you leaned out a little, Luxor Temple.

Breakfast was taken on the patio of the restaurant, with Sun warming us first thing in the morning which was wonderful having left England in the Snow. Get up early enough and you will see the Hoopoe birds whilst having breakfast !

When not out on excursions we relaxed around the wonderful gardens of the hotel, the gardeners certainly put in a lot of hard work keeping them pristine.

As to staying here, it is a most delightful hotel and one of the reasons why we keep coming back to Egypt !

Really why would anyone want to stay elsewhere in Luxor !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
'honorary' Egyptian - Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Well, I have arrived back to chilly England from yet another perfect stay in my second 'home' and with my second 'family'. From the first moment of entering the Old Winter Palace hotel for my arrival and then walking through the wonderful fragrant gardens to the Pavillon Wing, I am made to feel very, very welcome.

I used to stay at this hotel once a year and now its twice a year - visiting since 2000. I now stay for a month at a time - it does feel like I am 'home' with 'family' - all staff are very attentive and nothing is too much trouble! Little touches like ensuring that I have many, many coat hangers in my wardrobe, before I even have to ask (well I AM staying a month after all!).

I was able to upgrade to a suite in the Pavillon, through being awarded loyalty points with the Le Club Accorhotels scheme. It was a wonderful experience - two rooms, each with a balcony ( I could choose between looking over the swimming pool or the gardens).

The hotel is very central for all the sights on the East Bank, for example Luxor Temple is next door. It does not take long by taxi or caleche to get to Karnak Temple, Luxor Museum and the Mummification Museum. All the staff will ensure every guest has a carefree stay.

I grew very accustomed to sitting in the gardens, reading - this was my quiet 'oasis' in the middle of the hub bub of Luxor.

The only downside was that the swimming pool was not heated (because of the fuel shortage), so sadly it was too cool for me to use.

I am going to highlight the names of many of the staff who have been very helpful and attentive and I will apologise for anyone I have left out - Mahmoud Fathy and Nabil Aly (Front Desk Managers); Mohamed Ali (Duty Manager); Mohamed Oraby and Mohamed Ahmed (Reception at the Pavillon and OWP); Abdul Raheem (Food and Beverage Manager); Yehia Mohamed (Restaurants Manager); Rashidy and Mahmoued (Breakfast Rooms at the Pavillon and the OWP); Hamdy Elian.

Luxor is suffering from the lack of tourists and yes, there is 'hassle', but people are desperate for business and do not mean any harm, Sadly, there are some individuals who can be aggressive, but do not be put off coming to Luxor. Luxor does not experience the troubles that are widely shown in the media, happening in Cairo, Alexandria or Suez.

I WOULD URGE PEOPLE TO COME TO LUXOR AND STAY AT THE PAVILLON OR THE OLD WINTER PALACE - YOU WILL BE MADE VERY WELCOME!

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth or fifth floor of the Pavillon will afford you wonderful views of the gardens.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

After spending three nights at the Hilton, we came down to earth with a bump on our arrival at the Winter Palace Pavilion! However, having said that, we’ve been staying here for a number of years now and love it here because of the superb gardens and its location in Luxor. If this hotel was upgraded to what the existing plans are, it would probably be the best hotel in Luxor. However, there are no signs of building work taking place and no signs of any upgrading/refurbishment being done at all, which is most noticeable round the pool area. The pool furniture is shoddy with the varnish peeling off, there are broken sunbeds lying around, the parasols that can be wheeled around the pool are filthy, some wooden structures are positively wonky and there are many broken and uneven slabs and tiles and tripping hazards. The pool continually leaked water during our whole stay from some sort of pumping area with no signs of anyone trying to effect a repair. There were new pool towels in use. Fruit kebabs are still handed round those guests using the pool, but these are very much smaller than they were, and there were no ice cold towels on this visit. In my opinion, the pool area cannot now be considered as warranting a five star rating.

As with other Luxor hotels, there has been a problem in obtaining gas supplies, therefore the heated pool wasn’t heated, and at the time that we visited, the water was pretty cold and not too many people were using it. We noticed horrible green algae and pool slime in quite a lot of areas, in particular around the pool bar area where the stone stools are. The water in the pool appeared to be a little cloudy when we first arrived, but cleared considerably during our stay. The pool bar was closed, although the main pool bar/restaurant was open as normal. The Oasis bar in the gardens was still open at night. The pool restaurant which used to double as an eating place at night was no longer open. The breakfast room which also used to double as an Egyptian restaurant at night was still being used for breakfast, but wasn’t open at night.

This takes me nicely to breakfast!! I’m glad to say that it has improved since my last visit!! It’s still not a patch on what the Hilton provides, but it’s better than it was. There is no egg station any more, but eggs can be ordered and brought to your table. The toast machine that has been there for years is still cranking along very slowly!! You still need to rob other tables of crockery and cutlery to get full place settings at your table. I would still say though that the Sofitel need to learn a lot about providing a real good decent breakfast.

The refurbished pavilion rooms are still fine and the linen is clean. There is a mini bar but there’s no problem in taking out the hotel stock and filling it with your own water, soft drinks, etc. Our fridge seemed to work quite well, but the fridge in our friends’ room wasn’t so good. We discovered that kettles, tea and coffee appear to be available for the rooms, but you’d need to ask about this service, which there may be a charge for. Every pavilion room has a large balcony with table and chairs which overlook the gardens. Toiletries and hair dryer are provided. There is a washing line in the bathroom, but it’s so high up that most people won’t be able to reach it. We required a light bulb changed in the room and this was done within 15 minutes of asking. However, when one of the light switches on the wall blew and produced a blue flash, this then remained inoperative for the remainder of our stay despite the fault being reported when it happened.

It was my husband’s birthday during our visit and we had high tea (150LE pp) in the Victoria Lounge of the Old Winter Palace, which was really very nice, and the hotel provided a birthday cake as a surprise. Housekeeping also done some room decorations, which was a nice touch.

In general, the staff were terrific and they welcomed us back with open arms. However, standards do seem to have slipped and we noticed that housekeeping seems to have been cut back in certain areas, e.g. no turn-down service now at night unless specifically asked for, and no change of towels now in the evenings. The laundry service however is still first class.

There is free wi-fi at the pool area and in the public areas of the Old Winter Palace, but if you want wi-fi in your room, this is an extra cost and it’s expensive. There were no computers for the use of guests either in the foyer of the Old Winter Palace or in the small foyer of the Pavilion as there had been in the past.

I realise that this hotel is split in two with the Old Winter Palace being five star and the Pavilion being four star, but with standards slipping from before, and with so much refurbishment work needing done, in particular within the pool area, these will be falling stars even by Egyptian standards!! The gardens are still spectacular however and worthy of a five star rating.

So, Sofitel, you need to get your act together to give this tired old lady a badly needed facelift!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for superb garden views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just got back from Luxor and we stayed in the Pavillon Winter.
Me and my friend went over for a quick break and we wanted to stay somewhere where would feel comfortable and this was the perfect place for it, the garden which is shared with the old Winter Palace was amazing and truly magical so peaceful and relaxing, pool area was nice and spacious. as for the rooms very very comfortable one downfall was the mosquitos in the room apart from that no complaints....the massage I had in the hotel was reasonably priced.
breakfast was a decent one too...we ate out so cant comment of the food and one other downer no gym which I was rather dissapointed with.
all other facilities are shared with the Old palace so its totally magical when inside I loved it soooo much I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice peacefull relaxing no hassle hotel.
Thank you Pavillon for a wonderful Holiday

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Sofitel Pavillon Winter Luxor? Share your experiences!