“Our Second home !” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 56 hotels in Luxor
Guildford, United Kingdom
“Our Second home !”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Once again we have had a wonderful stay at the Pavillon. Being returning guests we were immediately recognised and remembered by Mr Oraby Concierge at the Pavillon, always a most helpful man.

Our rooms were as requested on the fifth floor. We were delighted with an upgrade to a suite with views over garden and pool.and another of the rooms our party occupied having a wonderful views which overlooked, garden, Theban hills and if you leaned out a little, Luxor Temple.

Breakfast was taken on the patio of the restaurant, with Sun warming us first thing in the morning which was wonderful having left England in the Snow. Get up early enough and you will see the Hoopoe birds whilst having breakfast !

When not out on excursions we relaxed around the wonderful gardens of the hotel, the gardeners certainly put in a lot of hard work keeping them pristine.

As to staying here, it is a most delightful hotel and one of the reasons why we keep coming back to Egypt !

Really why would anyone want to stay elsewhere in Luxor !

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
'honorary' Egyptian - Surrey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

Well, I have arrived back to chilly England from yet another perfect stay in my second 'home' and with my second 'family'. From the first moment of entering the Old Winter Palace hotel for my arrival and then walking through the wonderful fragrant gardens to the Pavillon Wing, I am made to feel very, very welcome.

I used to stay at this hotel once a year and now its twice a year - visiting since 2000. I now stay for a month at a time - it does feel like I am 'home' with 'family' - all staff are very attentive and nothing is too much trouble! Little touches like ensuring that I have many, many coat hangers in my wardrobe, before I even have to ask (well I AM staying a month after all!).

I was able to upgrade to a suite in the Pavillon, through being awarded loyalty points with the Le Club Accorhotels scheme. It was a wonderful experience - two rooms, each with a balcony ( I could choose between looking over the swimming pool or the gardens).

The hotel is very central for all the sights on the East Bank, for example Luxor Temple is next door. It does not take long by taxi or caleche to get to Karnak Temple, Luxor Museum and the Mummification Museum. All the staff will ensure every guest has a carefree stay.

I grew very accustomed to sitting in the gardens, reading - this was my quiet 'oasis' in the middle of the hub bub of Luxor.

The only downside was that the swimming pool was not heated (because of the fuel shortage), so sadly it was too cool for me to use.

I am going to highlight the names of many of the staff who have been very helpful and attentive and I will apologise for anyone I have left out - Mahmoud Fathy and Nabil Aly (Front Desk Managers); Mohamed Ali (Duty Manager); Mohamed Oraby and Mohamed Ahmed (Reception at the Pavillon and OWP); Abdul Raheem (Food and Beverage Manager); Yehia Mohamed (Restaurants Manager); Rashidy and Mahmoued (Breakfast Rooms at the Pavillon and the OWP); Hamdy Elian.

Luxor is suffering from the lack of tourists and yes, there is 'hassle', but people are desperate for business and do not mean any harm, Sadly, there are some individuals who can be aggressive, but do not be put off coming to Luxor. Luxor does not experience the troubles that are widely shown in the media, happening in Cairo, Alexandria or Suez.

I WOULD URGE PEOPLE TO COME TO LUXOR AND STAY AT THE PAVILLON OR THE OLD WINTER PALACE - YOU WILL BE MADE VERY WELCOME!

Room Tip: Rooms on the fourth or fifth floor of the Pavillon will afford you wonderful views of the gardens.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2013

After spending three nights at the Hilton, we came down to earth with a bump on our arrival at the Winter Palace Pavilion! However, having said that, we’ve been staying here for a number of years now and love it here because of the superb gardens and its location in Luxor. If this hotel was upgraded to what the existing plans are, it would probably be the best hotel in Luxor. However, there are no signs of building work taking place and no signs of any upgrading/refurbishment being done at all, which is most noticeable round the pool area. The pool furniture is shoddy with the varnish peeling off, there are broken sunbeds lying around, the parasols that can be wheeled around the pool are filthy, some wooden structures are positively wonky and there are many broken and uneven slabs and tiles and tripping hazards. The pool continually leaked water during our whole stay from some sort of pumping area with no signs of anyone trying to effect a repair. There were new pool towels in use. Fruit kebabs are still handed round those guests using the pool, but these are very much smaller than they were, and there were no ice cold towels on this visit. In my opinion, the pool area cannot now be considered as warranting a five star rating.

As with other Luxor hotels, there has been a problem in obtaining gas supplies, therefore the heated pool wasn’t heated, and at the time that we visited, the water was pretty cold and not too many people were using it. We noticed horrible green algae and pool slime in quite a lot of areas, in particular around the pool bar area where the stone stools are. The water in the pool appeared to be a little cloudy when we first arrived, but cleared considerably during our stay. The pool bar was closed, although the main pool bar/restaurant was open as normal. The Oasis bar in the gardens was still open at night. The pool restaurant which used to double as an eating place at night was no longer open. The breakfast room which also used to double as an Egyptian restaurant at night was still being used for breakfast, but wasn’t open at night.

This takes me nicely to breakfast!! I’m glad to say that it has improved since my last visit!! It’s still not a patch on what the Hilton provides, but it’s better than it was. There is no egg station any more, but eggs can be ordered and brought to your table. The toast machine that has been there for years is still cranking along very slowly!! You still need to rob other tables of crockery and cutlery to get full place settings at your table. I would still say though that the Sofitel need to learn a lot about providing a real good decent breakfast.

The refurbished pavilion rooms are still fine and the linen is clean. There is a mini bar but there’s no problem in taking out the hotel stock and filling it with your own water, soft drinks, etc. Our fridge seemed to work quite well, but the fridge in our friends’ room wasn’t so good. We discovered that kettles, tea and coffee appear to be available for the rooms, but you’d need to ask about this service, which there may be a charge for. Every pavilion room has a large balcony with table and chairs which overlook the gardens. Toiletries and hair dryer are provided. There is a washing line in the bathroom, but it’s so high up that most people won’t be able to reach it. We required a light bulb changed in the room and this was done within 15 minutes of asking. However, when one of the light switches on the wall blew and produced a blue flash, this then remained inoperative for the remainder of our stay despite the fault being reported when it happened.

It was my husband’s birthday during our visit and we had high tea (150LE pp) in the Victoria Lounge of the Old Winter Palace, which was really very nice, and the hotel provided a birthday cake as a surprise. Housekeeping also done some room decorations, which was a nice touch.

In general, the staff were terrific and they welcomed us back with open arms. However, standards do seem to have slipped and we noticed that housekeeping seems to have been cut back in certain areas, e.g. no turn-down service now at night unless specifically asked for, and no change of towels now in the evenings. The laundry service however is still first class.

There is free wi-fi at the pool area and in the public areas of the Old Winter Palace, but if you want wi-fi in your room, this is an extra cost and it’s expensive. There were no computers for the use of guests either in the foyer of the Old Winter Palace or in the small foyer of the Pavilion as there had been in the past.

I realise that this hotel is split in two with the Old Winter Palace being five star and the Pavilion being four star, but with standards slipping from before, and with so much refurbishment work needing done, in particular within the pool area, these will be falling stars even by Egyptian standards!! The gardens are still spectacular however and worthy of a five star rating.

So, Sofitel, you need to get your act together to give this tired old lady a badly needed facelift!!

Room Tip: Ask for a high floor for superb garden views
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

Just got back from Luxor and we stayed in the Pavillon Winter.
Me and my friend went over for a quick break and we wanted to stay somewhere where would feel comfortable and this was the perfect place for it, the garden which is shared with the old Winter Palace was amazing and truly magical so peaceful and relaxing, pool area was nice and spacious. as for the rooms very very comfortable one downfall was the mosquitos in the room apart from that no complaints....the massage I had in the hotel was reasonably priced.
breakfast was a decent one too...we ate out so cant comment of the food and one other downer no gym which I was rather dissapointed with.
all other facilities are shared with the Old palace so its totally magical when inside I loved it soooo much I would recommend to anyone looking for a nice peacefull relaxing no hassle hotel.
Thank you Pavillon for a wonderful Holiday

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Island of Malta, Malta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2013

We booked quite late via Hotels4U.com & secured a good half board rate. We are not first timers to Luxor and were slightly nervous about the choice, although we knew this 'annex' shared the fantastic gardens of the Winter Palace. We had stayed at the Sheraton previously with its great river frontage but the cost here won us over this time.

I had made contact ahead of the arrival with Guest Relations but we were incorrectly assigned a twin room and had to stay there the first night. This is always unsettling. That said a wonderful member of the reception team assisted us with a room swap. His customer service and politeness are second to none (Mr Oraby, a big well done).

Breakfast was good on a lovely sunny terrace with a lush garden view. The staff were attentive and professional.

We were most surprised to find our half board meals were to be taken in the Winter Palace itself, the Corniche restaurant. This was a real treat, gentile and quirky which suited us to the ground. We also used the Royal Bar too. This certainly added a great dynamic to our week long stay.

The pool area is truly lovely but the pool is currently unheated (fuel shortage) and therefore very cool. Nobody will mention this when booking and the hotel website is incorrect.

Our room was a little tired but 'felt great' which after all is the most important factor. Tea and coffee making facilities are not available but you can request a kettle. We bought our supplies from the UK but there were no cups..........all these small details of course impact on experience. Tipping seems to secure ongoing toiletries.

If you stay here, do use the back gate of the site which takes you directly to a bustling non-hassle area with a good supermarket, Ragab Sons...There is the real Luxor to experience here and we felt truly safe. It's simply great fun although can be overwhelming at first.

We hope to return to this hotel as it was such a lovely week. Keep the prices competitive, please Mr. Sofitel.

Room Tip: High floors are much better, probably in the low numbers e.g. 3001-3008, 4001-4008 & 5001-5008...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013 via mobile

The Pavilion is the modern annexe to the stately Winter Palace Hotel. As other reviews have said the gardens are truly magnificent with a wonderful pool area (though it is no longer heated and was surprisingly 'fresh' bearing in mind outside temperatures in their 30s.). The hotel itself is a wonderful reminder of the grand hotels of the past and the public areas are both sumptuous and immaculate.
As for the Pavillion, the rooms are spacious and modern with large full bathrooms. Powerful shower, plenty of hot water and spotlessly clean. The bed was large and very comfortable. And the air conditioning works very well. The staff are ally both friendly and helpful.
So what's the "but"? Well we paid very little bearing in mind the quality of the hotel. So economies have been made. There is no free wifi in the Pavillion. It is available in the hotel lobby and sometime by the pool. The breakfast offering would shame a budget hotel in Benidorm though the coffee was excellent and generously provided And the "orange juice" was sweetened orange flavoured water. I wouldn't expect fresh squeezed juice but surely they could do better.
These niggles notwithstanding, I cannot imagine a better place to stay in Luxor. Strongly recommended.

Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Norfolk
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2013

I am sorry this entry is a little late, however... we stayed over the New Year in the Pavilion section of this wonderful hotel. We, (my daughter, my wife and I ) had a joining rooms on the 4th Floor over looking the wonderful gardens. The rooms were superb, we could not have asked for more. each and every member of staff really went out of their way to ensure we had a relaxing holiday.
I will never forget the feeling of breakfast.. it was something to behold... sitting outside on the patio enjoying the fresh coffee in the warm morning sunshine, and the warm evenings sitting on our balcony after our superb room service dinner watching the sun set. Ahhhhhhhhh I can see it now. Everything was so special, my daughter swimming up and down the pool endlessly in the heat of the day 30 degrees C. and lunch by the pool side and smelling the freshly baked bread all truly memorable. Thank to you all at this beautiful hotel for allowing all us to enjoy and share your fabulous country. We shall return one day in the future to once again to wallow in the Luxury that is "The Winter Palace Hotel Luxor"

Room Tip: Pavilion Wing Floors 4 or 5 overlooking the garden!!
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family

Been to Pavillon Winter Luxor? Share your experiences!