“unacceptable” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
Dhahran, Saudi Arabia
“unacceptable”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

I stayed in Winter Palace Pavilion for 2 days, and returned to the hotel a day later after a trip to Abu Simbel. After my first check out I forgot one of my mobile phones in the room. It's an old phone but my SIM card was inside and the phone was given by a friend to use it abroad. When I returned I asked at the reception to be returned to me, however they told me that nothing was found in my room. I checked my bag again although I knew it wasn't with me. The reception told me that never something like this has happened until then, however I'm positive that my phone was found by the hotel staff and not returned to the Lost and found hotel's department. This is unacceptable from a hotel such as Sofitel. I travelled around the world, I saw a lot of poor people and I understand poor life and the need for a job, this is why I don't give reviews if something doesn't go well with a hotel or a tour, however stealing I don't tolerate. This is why I write this review now.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
  • Korean first
london
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

We stayed at the winter palace for 5 days in Luxor.

Best thing about it is the location. It's very close to Luxor and Karnak temples, within walking distance to the souk and McDonalds, and a short kalesh trip away from the restaurants dotted around the east bank. They've got Thomas cook exchange nearby ( with competitive rates) and also a good tourist operator who was very helpful and reasonable when it came to the prices. There is also Egypt Air office next door, which proved useful as we where able to change our flights to accommodate Cairo into our plans.

You can also take advantage of the gardens and facilities it shares with the sofitel winter palace including the pool, sheesha bar.

Rooms are clean and tidy with lovely views from the balcony. Staff are friendly. Breakfast buffet had a nice spread.

Luxor itself was fantastic, we went to all the sights. Highlights were karnak temple and balloon trip.

Have to be patient with the Egyptian people, have suffered with low tourism and do tend to badger at every opportunity for tourist excursions, taxis etc.

In terms of food, it was generally lovely. The best restaurant was a place place called Chez Omar, we stumbled onto it after meandering through the "tourist" souk into the locals "souk". IF you ever get there, make sure you order the kofte kebab.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2013

Very professional and welcoming staff ! Excellent rooms!! Great breakfast. The best location in town. obviously well managed. The gardens are just wonderful. The pool area and pool staff are great. I will certainly return to this hotel. They make you feel special!!!!! Its just an amazing place to be! Massage service is fist class - but there was no multi Gym that I could find. However- Id still return to the hotel because of its friendly and professional service.

Room Tip: Well-- Id say just go there and experience. It is a great place to be for several days!!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
Hastings
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

We really liked this hotel, you get the surroundings, facilities and service of the posh bit for a fraction of the price. I really can't see why you would bother to pay the extra to stay in the old part. Our room was very nice, clean, modern and comfortable. There were nice views from the balcony over the gardens and to the town beyond. The staff were excellent and the breakfast was very good. We walked everywhere and nothing was too far (although we like walking!).

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
neath wales uk
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 20, 2013 via mobile

Do not mistake this for the old winter palace,no where to sit in the hotel only your room, this place used to use the facilities of the new winter palace hotel,but this block has now been demolished,along with the lounge bar, cafe, restaurant.
They have not replaced any of these facilities in the pavilion very very poor

Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Been to Sofitel Pavillon Winter Luxor? Share your experiences!