“Yet another wonderful stay in my second home!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Stay more, save up to 35%
Ranked #9 of 56 hotels in Luxor
'honorary' Egyptian - Surrey
“Yet another wonderful stay in my second home!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 21, 2012

I had yet another wonderful stay at the Pavillon for the month of March 2012 (this must be at least my 20th stay!), so something must be going well. Where to start? The very warm welcome at the Hotel; the wonderful smell of jasmine as you walk through the gardens to the Pavillon; the excellent service from all staff in the restaurants, poolside and just throughout the Winter Palace and Pavillon Hotels; the genuine feeling that staff are pleased to see me as a friend as well as being a guest.
I am generally a solo traveller, but feel so relaxed in the hotels' atmosphere and know that nothing is too much trouble for anyone.
My only concern is 'will my little bubble burst'? - not if I have anything to do with it!!
I know Egypt is still going through tough times, but do not let anything deter you from travelling to Luxor and this hotel - all has remained calm (I stayed in Luxor just after the Revolution).
I cannot wait for my next visit in November!

Room Tip: The rooms on the higher floors (between 1-14) will give you a lovely view of the gardens.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

424 people have reviewed this hotel

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (38)
  • Korean first
United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

Well, the rooms are comfortable, and balconies nice, the pool is pretty, and the gardens are just lovely and peaceful. Its the ideal place to stay if you want to get away from the noise and hussle and bussle of Luxor. The room service is however shocking, and food not too good. Breakfast buffet is passable, but nothing compared to the Steigenberger for quality and service.

One huge benefit is you can walk straight out onto the Nile and also to Luxor Temple without needing to take a taxi. The biggest downside is the hassle from kalesh drivers right outside and the hotel has not been able to do anything about it. I got round this by finding a reliable taxi company and always arranged a pick up and drop off, and this really made a difference to a pleasant stay I can't recommend luxor-taxi.com enough for their prompt reliable and polite service. A text message was enough to arrange a pick up even at short notice. Reliable for airport pick ups and drop offs too.

I also stayed here in December 2011, and January 2012... but I do hope they have sorted out the water tanks for the air conditioning units as there were some problems with mosquitoes coming through the air con. I think I will use the Steigenberger next time.... and put up with the noise form the boats!

Room Tip: check the air/con units for mozzies before going to sleep!
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2012 via mobile

I don't know if there is any exception for Egypt, but this should be 2 notch lower in Accor classification as Sofitel branding is completely misleading (no more than IMHO)

Very basic standard rooms, although size decent and you may like to have a balcony. I would not rate it more than 2/3 stars in Europe. Limited capabilities in English for staff (when you ask for hair conditioner they send you an engineer for air conditioning one hour later...)

Apart from the room which really fell short of any expectation for Sofitel, the garden shared with the Winter Palace is beautiful and the breakfast area on the terrace is enjoyable for early sun. Although the buffet is more a 3* standard than anything close to Sofitel pretended positioning

Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 8, 2012

I visited this place in July 2010 (Not able to go back further on the drop down menu).
Anywho, I was very impressed by this hotel. Not to mention it was DIRT cheap. A place like this would easily be $500- 600/night in the city.

Breakfast was okay, the views were lovely. And room service for meals was pretty good. A very romantic stay.

The negatives? We scheduled in-room massages the day prior to when we wanted the massages. When it was time for our appointment, the masseuses never came and kept telling us they were coming up to do the massages. It was so shady and unprofessional. Just messy and tacky. It was disappointing...

The desk staff was questionable. Professionalism wasn't their strong suit, but eh, it didn't seem like it was on purpose. Almost like they just didn't know any better...

All in all it was an okay stay. It was what it was.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Wellington
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2012

The Pavillon Winter Luxor is situated in the Old Winter Palace grounds. The gardens are lovely, as is the pool area. The rooms are standard hotel chain rooms, with good air-conditioning - obviously needed! It was pretty quiet when we were there, which was nice. Its a nice place to come back to and recover after the heat of seeing some of the sites around Luxor. The only downer was a seemingly somewhat dodgy staff member who loitered outside our room as we were checking out, and asked us to leave the door open so he could go in and "check the room". Only later we realized that this gave him access to the tip we'd left the housekeeper, the mini-bar contents etc. I emailed the hotel about this, but never heard back, which was disappointing. Even so I'd happily return to the Winter Pavillon for any future Egypt visit.

Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Minneapolis, Minnesota
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2012

We just got back from Egypt, where we had a spectacular stay at the Pavilion Winter Palace hotel in Luxor. Everything was perfect, from the stunning balcony view to the lush gardens and the exquisitely warm pool. Service was impeccable and they made you feel very welcome. Some of the restaurants were closed in the evening (I'm assuming because of low occupancy), so we improvised: we ordered room service and asked that it be delivered to the front terrace. An amused and gracious waiter brought the dinner on trays and we ate on the balcony watching the feluccas sail down the Nile. I completely see how Agatha Christie was inspired to write Death on the Nile in this Victorian gem.

An aside about touring: Luxor is the "hassle capital" of Egypt. You really do need a guide, if only to protect you from the taxi drivers and felucca captains. While in Luxor, we had arranged a private tour with Thomas Cook. Unfortunately, their Cairo office had not communicated with the Luxor office and we were stranded at 7:30 am on the west bank waiting for a guide who did not show up. On the plus side, we contacted Mr. Ahmed Balal of the Petraluxor tour company, who had a fantastic guide (and driver) appear almost immediately and we complete our 2 days of marathon touring of ancient ruins & necropoli (plural necropolis??). The guide Walid (also known by the inappropriate nickname of "foxy") was brilliant and friendly. It is incredible how much Walid knew and his ability to bring so much information into a manageable tour was tremendous. Also, and because we asked, we were also able to engage Walid in several discussions about the current political situation in Egypt and his views on things like the Muslim Brotherhood etc. Totally something we sought out, and it was fascinating for our 17 year-old son.

WHEN we go back (and we will), we will always stay at the Pavilion and always contact Mr. Ahmed for our guide. It is my hope and dream that people will return to Egypt and support their fledgling democracy. The Pavilion can be accessed at http://www.sofitel.com/gb/hotel-1662-pavillon-winter-luxor/index.shtml. Mr. Ahmed can be reached at info@petraluxor.com.

Room Tip: Ask for a balcony facing the garden. You will get sun in the morning, but will be in the shade in t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

After staying here last December there was no place I would rather stay at again in Luxor than here and so last week it was a great pleasure to return and was nice to be greeted by familar faces.
Mr Oraby at the Pavillon is most helpful and full of local advice. Ismail on the night staff was most helpful too.
Quality of food available at breakfast was very high, I would like to thank Rashedy there for his unstinting service I received.
This time staying in room 5015 with a huge very comfortable bed with good views over the well maintained lush gardens that teems with birdlife during the day. The gardeners certainly do a wonderful job.
Entry to the Pavillon is through the Winter Palace, the faclities of which are shared with the Pavillon, such as the lovely heated swimming pool and restaurants.
Mr Fathy the assistant Manager and Kamal the concierge of the Winter Palace were again of great help and it was a great pleasure conversing with the General Manager Mr Christian Ruge.
If considering a stay in Luxor, I throughly recommend a stay here, the moment you walk through the door, you enter an Oasis of calm and gentility .

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo

Been to Pavillon Winter Luxor? Share your experiences!