“My second home and family” 5 of 5 stars

Sofitel Pavillon Winter Luxor
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corniche El Nile St, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #12 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
'honorary' Egyptian - Surrey
“My second home and family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2011

I spent three glorious weeks in the Pavillon in November 2011. I have now lost count of the number of times that I have stayed at this hotel and I am never disappointed. It is my 'second home' and as soon as I arrive the staff treat me as an honoured guest (they are my 'second family' - that is how comfortable I am made to feel).

I will be returning for a month's holiday in March 2012 - I cannot wait!

I wish I could single out every member of staff for commendation for their excellent service, but here are a few names - Mr Oraby at Reception, Pavillon; Mr Mohamed Ahmed, Reception, Old Winter Palace Hotel; Mahmoued, who serves at the restaurant, poolside; Abdul at the Pool; Mr Hamdy Elian, Food and Beverages and Mr Abdul Raheem, Food and Beverages; Rashedy at the breakfast room. Apologies to those not named, I have certainly appreciated all the kind services - everyone should be named. The General Manager, Christian Ruge, takes a keen interest in all aspects of what is happening in and around both the Pavillon and the Old Winter Palace Hotels.

I cannot imagine a time when I shall not be returning to Luxor and holidaying at this hotel - some may say Egypt is my obsession and they would be right! Long may it be so!!!!

Room Tip: There are five floors in the Pavillon - the higher floors give you a wonderful view of the gardens.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
  • Korean first
Brussels, Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 25, 2011

No need to repeat what others have already written on this site. This place is really perfect. We had an excellent price for 3 nights (€ 67,- the night breakfast included) during the Christmas 2011 period. It was brilliant. You have the service and the perfection of the Winter Palace at the price of a 3-star hotel. It was really wonderful. The room was splendid. The breakfast buffet excellent and the staff very helpful. Plus, the best situation in town ! Should I need to add something else ... !

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

Stayed here for a week in early December, had a very nice room in the newer block situated in the lovely quiet gardens- what a contrast to the hustle outside! Every time we walked out of the grand front entrance we faced a sea of hustlers offering Caleche rides, Felucca trips, guided tours etc etc, ( to be fair the number of tourists has fallen since the revolution and these people depend on tourism to put food on the table -so the pressure is on!) It was only on the last day we discovered the tradesmans entrance round the back and found the streets there were just used by local people going about normal life and no hassles at all.
We thought the food was pricey in the restaurants and pool bar and ate out locally most nights. The room service seemed good value and a bit of a treat, we had excellent soup, still hot when it arrived and a good burger with chips which were not so hot. It might seem strange staying indoors and having hot soup in Egypt, but the nights were really chilly.
The breakfasts were fantastic with a wide choice of food and was served from 5-50am til 10-00, handy for the early morning starts that most of the sightseeing trips seem to need. The coffee was really good as well which was an extra bonus.
If you are planning to stay in Luxor then I can recommend the Pavillon Winter, its well located and the staff are lovely, we were really well looked after by every one from reception to room cleaning, even the gardeners were smiling and seemed pretty happy looking after the beautiful pool and grounds.

Room Tip: Rooms on top floors have the best views
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Just got back from staying at the Pavillon. Unfortunately due to industrial action we were unable to spend the first night of our holiday at Pavillon and ended up at the Nile Palace, which is a good hotel, but lacks the central location of the Pavillon / Winter Palace.
However on the second day with the industrial action over, from the moment of walking through the revolving doors of the Winter Palace and being greeted by Mr Fahy and invited to take a complimentry meal at La Corniche the first evening, being escorted by him through the wonderful gardens to the Pavillon we were all made to feel that we were much appreciated guests and the stress of the previous day evaporated.
We throughly enjoyed our stay there, Our party stayed in rooms 5010, 5011 and 5012 and were very comfortable in all. Views of Luxor temple were to be had from the windows in the corridor.
Breakfast was taken at the Pavilon, with lunches when we were at the hotel by the pool. other than the meal we took at La Corniche Restaurant the first night which is Buffet with very good quality food and well presented. One evening we had reservations for the 1886 Restaurant Meal was excellent as was it's ambiance, setting, presentation, service and much more reasonable than might be thought !
Several visits to the Royal Bar were also made which again has a lovely ambiance.
Worthy of special mention along with Mr Fahy are Kamal the concierge at the Winter Palace and Mr Oraby at the Pavillon, Ali who cleaned our rooms, made lovely towel scultures and went out of his way to make sure we were happy.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

The Winter Pavillon was terrific in all respects! Lovely room with large balcony and very accommodating staff. We spent most of the holiday at the pool or shisha garden... the grounds are particularly lovely and we were made to feel very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed here in September/October 2011 for two weeks. This time round however, we had refurbished rooms, which were very welcome (we had just missed an upgrade to the Old Winter Palace). We were allocated room 3009 which is a twin room. All rooms in the Pavilion block have large balconies with table and chairs. This room had an adjoining door with room 3008 which had been allocated to the other two people in our party.

There was one little panic when I discovered that the adaptors I had brought with me and that I'd been using for years in Luxor, now did not fit the sockets in the newly refurbished rooms. Looking around I saw that the TV and fridge were plugged into the new sockets by the use of small adaptors, so I unplugged the TV as we don't really use it anyway, and used the adaptor so I could re-charge my phone, camera batteries, etc. We quickly discovered though that these adaptors were being sold in Arkwright's supermarket and were also available on loan from reception.

There was another panic when I stepped out the shower one evening to find the bathroom floor flooded and my flip flops almost floating out the door, however after a call to reception, a maintenance man soon had the problem under control and everything was back to normal very quickly.

We never ate at the hotel apart from breakfast, so I cannot comment on the food served either within the main restaurants within the hotel or at the pool.

Although there is building work taking place, we never heard anything at all and it was not intrusive in any way. There are hoardings built so that you can’t see what’s going on or stray into a dangerous area. The windows from the Pavilion corridors that look over towards the building work are frosted over so you can’t see what’s happening unless you open them.

Because of the present building work, entry to the Pavilion is via the main entrance to the Old Winter Palace. Within the reception area of the Pavilion there is a computer for guests to use if they wish. Free wi-fi however is available at the pool and inside the reception area of the Old Winter Palace (although connection sometimes was a bit hit and miss).

Rooms
Room 3009 was large with twin beds, fridge, bathroom with toiletries, overbath shower, hairdryer and large balcony. It’s not a problem to store your own drinks in the fridge. There is a pull-out washing line over the bath, but it’s so high up, you can hardly reach it!! (I had to stand on my tiptoes in the bath to use it). There is a safe in the wardrobe and there’s plenty space for storage. There is a laundry and dry cleaning service. There was a lovely flat screen TV but we didn’t have that on very much at all – reception sometimes isn’t that good and there aren’t that many English speaking channels. Staff kept the rooms clean and the toiletries replenished. Fresh towels were always on offer at night, but it could be annoying when they always called when one of us was still in the shower!

Breakfast
I'm not a fan of the breakfasts here as the hot food is only lukewarm and not hot. There was no scrambled egg (but I think you could have it made for you). There was very little choice in the cold meat and cheese section and also very little fresh fruit – until there was a complaint made by other guests and there was a small improvement. There is a chef outside who will cook your eggs to order – if you can find him!! Coffee and tea are brought to the tables (or Nescafe and hot water). There is fresh juice available, but the one described as being ’orange’ was just awful and tasted nothing like orange. You can sit inside for breakfast or at a seating area outside.

Pool
The pool areas are lovely, but could now do with a bit of refurbishment. The pool is kept quite clean, but it’s not perfect with places where people could slip or trip easily. We did see two people fall after standing on the plastic drainage strips around the edges of the pool, which broke under their weight. In the morning from about 11 a.m. staff bring round cold towels to cool you down and very refreshing fresh fruit kebabs. Occasionally there is also Karkadeh on offer but when the small glasses run out that’s it, so not everyone gets a drink! Also, keep a look out for the lady who cooks bread rolls in an oven just to the side of the towel station at the pool – for a little baksheesh you can buy some and the waiters will give you some butter to spread on them. They are just delicious!!

Gardens
The gardens are kept immaculate by what seems like a huge army of gardeners. It was nice to see the aviary with some Cockatiels rather than the ordinary pigeons that had been there in the past. At night staff went round with the bug spray fogging guns. There is a bar within the grounds that is open at night and, although the prices here are quite expensive, it was pleasant sitting in the comfortable seats with a cold beer prior to going out for dinner.

In general we found the staff warm and welcoming, and the reception staff at the Pavilion were exceptionally helpful. Despite its faults, this is still my hotel of choice in Luxor – my little oasis of calm amongst the chaos that can be Luxor!!

Room Tip: I always go for a high floor if possible (there are only 5 floors here and all overlook the gardens)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Sliema, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

All in all a great place to stay in Luxor. Good location and a great place to get away from the hassle outside. The gardens and pool area are fantastic, being shared with the much more expensive Old Winter Palace. The rooms are good - modern, clean and with a balcony looking out onto the gardens - and the price is good. Wifi not free, which seems to be a feature in hotels in Egypt (at least the ones I stayed in). Didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment. Can't give it 5 stars as I need to leave room for the places which I think are absolutely magic. But this is well worth bearing in mind.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple