“A Haven” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #9 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
Guildford, United Kingdom
“A Haven”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

Just got back from staying at the Pavillon. Unfortunately due to industrial action we were unable to spend the first night of our holiday at Pavillon and ended up at the Nile Palace, which is a good hotel, but lacks the central location of the Pavillon / Winter Palace.
However on the second day with the industrial action over, from the moment of walking through the revolving doors of the Winter Palace and being greeted by Mr Fahy and invited to take a complimentry meal at La Corniche the first evening, being escorted by him through the wonderful gardens to the Pavillon we were all made to feel that we were much appreciated guests and the stress of the previous day evaporated.
We throughly enjoyed our stay there, Our party stayed in rooms 5010, 5011 and 5012 and were very comfortable in all. Views of Luxor temple were to be had from the windows in the corridor.
Breakfast was taken at the Pavilon, with lunches when we were at the hotel by the pool. other than the meal we took at La Corniche Restaurant the first night which is Buffet with very good quality food and well presented. One evening we had reservations for the 1886 Restaurant Meal was excellent as was it's ambiance, setting, presentation, service and much more reasonable than might be thought !
Several visits to the Royal Bar were also made which again has a lovely ambiance.
Worthy of special mention along with Mr Fahy are Kamal the concierge at the Winter Palace and Mr Oraby at the Pavillon, Ali who cleaned our rooms, made lovely towel scultures and went out of his way to make sure we were happy.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Korean first
Cairo, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2011

The Winter Pavillon was terrific in all respects! Lovely room with large balcony and very accommodating staff. We spent most of the holiday at the pool or shisha garden... the grounds are particularly lovely and we were made to feel very comfortable.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2011

We stayed here in September/October 2011 for two weeks. This time round however, we had refurbished rooms, which were very welcome (we had just missed an upgrade to the Old Winter Palace). We were allocated room 3009 which is a twin room. All rooms in the Pavilion block have large balconies with table and chairs. This room had an adjoining door with room 3008 which had been allocated to the other two people in our party.

There was one little panic when I discovered that the adaptors I had brought with me and that I'd been using for years in Luxor, now did not fit the sockets in the newly refurbished rooms. Looking around I saw that the TV and fridge were plugged into the new sockets by the use of small adaptors, so I unplugged the TV as we don't really use it anyway, and used the adaptor so I could re-charge my phone, camera batteries, etc. We quickly discovered though that these adaptors were being sold in Arkwright's supermarket and were also available on loan from reception.

There was another panic when I stepped out the shower one evening to find the bathroom floor flooded and my flip flops almost floating out the door, however after a call to reception, a maintenance man soon had the problem under control and everything was back to normal very quickly.

We never ate at the hotel apart from breakfast, so I cannot comment on the food served either within the main restaurants within the hotel or at the pool.

Although there is building work taking place, we never heard anything at all and it was not intrusive in any way. There are hoardings built so that you can’t see what’s going on or stray into a dangerous area. The windows from the Pavilion corridors that look over towards the building work are frosted over so you can’t see what’s happening unless you open them.

Because of the present building work, entry to the Pavilion is via the main entrance to the Old Winter Palace. Within the reception area of the Pavilion there is a computer for guests to use if they wish. Free wi-fi however is available at the pool and inside the reception area of the Old Winter Palace (although connection sometimes was a bit hit and miss).

Rooms
Room 3009 was large with twin beds, fridge, bathroom with toiletries, overbath shower, hairdryer and large balcony. It’s not a problem to store your own drinks in the fridge. There is a pull-out washing line over the bath, but it’s so high up, you can hardly reach it!! (I had to stand on my tiptoes in the bath to use it). There is a safe in the wardrobe and there’s plenty space for storage. There is a laundry and dry cleaning service. There was a lovely flat screen TV but we didn’t have that on very much at all – reception sometimes isn’t that good and there aren’t that many English speaking channels. Staff kept the rooms clean and the toiletries replenished. Fresh towels were always on offer at night, but it could be annoying when they always called when one of us was still in the shower!

Breakfast
I'm not a fan of the breakfasts here as the hot food is only lukewarm and not hot. There was no scrambled egg (but I think you could have it made for you). There was very little choice in the cold meat and cheese section and also very little fresh fruit – until there was a complaint made by other guests and there was a small improvement. There is a chef outside who will cook your eggs to order – if you can find him!! Coffee and tea are brought to the tables (or Nescafe and hot water). There is fresh juice available, but the one described as being ’orange’ was just awful and tasted nothing like orange. You can sit inside for breakfast or at a seating area outside.

Pool
The pool areas are lovely, but could now do with a bit of refurbishment. The pool is kept quite clean, but it’s not perfect with places where people could slip or trip easily. We did see two people fall after standing on the plastic drainage strips around the edges of the pool, which broke under their weight. In the morning from about 11 a.m. staff bring round cold towels to cool you down and very refreshing fresh fruit kebabs. Occasionally there is also Karkadeh on offer but when the small glasses run out that’s it, so not everyone gets a drink! Also, keep a look out for the lady who cooks bread rolls in an oven just to the side of the towel station at the pool – for a little baksheesh you can buy some and the waiters will give you some butter to spread on them. They are just delicious!!

Gardens
The gardens are kept immaculate by what seems like a huge army of gardeners. It was nice to see the aviary with some Cockatiels rather than the ordinary pigeons that had been there in the past. At night staff went round with the bug spray fogging guns. There is a bar within the grounds that is open at night and, although the prices here are quite expensive, it was pleasant sitting in the comfortable seats with a cold beer prior to going out for dinner.

In general we found the staff warm and welcoming, and the reception staff at the Pavilion were exceptionally helpful. Despite its faults, this is still my hotel of choice in Luxor – my little oasis of calm amongst the chaos that can be Luxor!!

Room Tip: I always go for a high floor if possible (there are only 5 floors here and all overlook the gardens)
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
Sliema, Malta
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2011

All in all a great place to stay in Luxor. Good location and a great place to get away from the hassle outside. The gardens and pool area are fantastic, being shared with the much more expensive Old Winter Palace. The rooms are good - modern, clean and with a balcony looking out onto the gardens - and the price is good. Wifi not free, which seems to be a feature in hotels in Egypt (at least the ones I stayed in). Didn't eat at the hotel so can't comment. Can't give it 5 stars as I need to leave room for the places which I think are absolutely magic. But this is well worth bearing in mind.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2011

What a piece of heaven! Clean, quiet, luxurious, and the pool was the best. The pool was huge and heated which made for delightful relaxtion every afternoon after a morning of sightseeing. I would stay here again just for the pool. The original Winter Palace seemed stuffy and "grandma-ish" so I much preferred the newer Pavillon.

Room Tip: Pool facing rooms on a higher floor (they only have 5 floors) is best.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple
Surrey, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2011

First an explanation for those unfamiliar with this hotel. The Pavillon is the modern wing of the Old Winter Palace, a grand colonial hotel built in 1886. The Pavillon shares all the splendid facilities of the Palace but at a very affordable price. Visitors staying at the Pavillon are welcomed in the Palace’s Royal Bar, Victoria Lounge, Corniche restaurant, 1886 restaurant and Nile Terrace.

I have just returned from my seventh visit to the Pavillon hotel, this time with my grown up daughter. A stay here is the perfect combination of culture, relaxation and luxury with guaranteed sunshine. The rooms, which have recently been refurbished, are spotless, spacious and peacefully situated away from the road. There are currently three restaurants, serving a variety of menus. Food quality and service in all is excellent and prices are comparable with UK.

The hotel's trump card though is the outside areas which are unique in Luxor. The enormous grounds are superb with lush lawns, specimen trees, flowers everywhere and a wonderful fragrance filling the air after dark. The pool area is splendid with two linked pools, comfortable, well-spaced beds, plenty of umbrellas and such friendly and helpful staff. In fact all the staff at the Pavillon and Winter Palace are delightful - friendly and welcoming but never intrusive.

The hotel is in an amazing location, being right on the Corniche (Nile promenade), five minutes walk from Luxor Temple, the souk and the ferry across to the West Bank. The awe-inspiring Karnak Temple and the small but perfect Luxor Museum are 5 minutes by taxi. The Valley of the Kings, Queens, Tombs of the Nobles, Village of the Workers and the little visited gem of Medinet Habu are 30 minutes by taxi independently or by coach on an organised trip. A little further away North are Dendera (60 mins) and Abydos (2 hours) both fabulous. South are Esna, Edfu, Kom Ombo and Aswan for the gorgeous Philae Temple and awesome Abu Simbel.

This year we did the day cruise to Dendera Temple which was a delight. Seeing the small settlements along the Nile where life continues much as it has for 3000 years, watching the sun set over the mountains and of course Dendera itself, was a real treat.

Don't be put off by the talk of hassle in the town. Most people are just trying to make a living. If you're not interested in what they are offering, just smile, say firmly 'No shukran' and keep walking. They will soon get tired and look for another potential customer. Sadly for the local people, Luxor was very quiet at what should be its busiest time. There is nothing to be afraid of. Tourism is the lifeblood of the city and the people are waiting to welcome visitors back.

A stay at the Pavillon opens the door to all the history and adventure of Luxor and is a sanctuary to return to after a day exploring. It has a magic which brings many people back year after year. We certainly hope to return again soon.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 21, 2011

I stayed in the Pavillion last week having been upgraded to the Winter Palace itself last time in February on account of "The troubles" so I was interested to see what the cheap end of the Winter Palace gardens was like.

I must say The Pavillion is possibly the only hotel I have stayed in which i consider almost faultless. What can one possibly say bad about it? It doesn't have a Nile view? There is no one to clean your shoes in the lobby? The breakfast coffee is awful? They hardly count, do they, when you consider the advantages?

We were upgraded to a suite which had 2 balconies overlooking some of the most beautiful gardens anywhere - the fragrances as you walk through them in the evening is amazing - and a wonderful sitting room we were provided with a fresh fruit bowl and some cakes every day.

The bathroom was enormous with lots of free 'goodies' including a Winter Palace bathrobe or two which I was sorely tempted to pinch, it was so comfortable, a hair dryer and a very powerful shower over the bath....and the beds, though not a double, were large and very comfortable.

Breakfast was buffet style and ample with fruit, cereals, yoghurts...even a man to cook you perfectly times boiled eggs. In fact my only criticism of the whole stay was the breakfast coffee which was frankly lousy....! We sat outside on the sunny breakfast terrace overlooking an area of lawn and palm trees enjoying a wonderfully relaxing start to the day.

The staff, many of whom have worked there for over 30 years could not have been friendlier and more helpful, and I must say I felt rather sorry for the avuncular elderly receptionist who insisted on standing up from his chair every time anyone came through the front door.....he must have been bobbing up and down all day!

The pool area, which the Pavillion shares with the Winter Palace as well (I did ask someone whether the 'rich' who stay in the Palace itself ever complain of having to share their gardens and pools with the likes of us poor people....and was assured they did not, though frankly I would!) is like something from a film set in Hollywood. Vast, with a bar right in the middle with seats in the water, and a second splash pool by the side and huge palm trees all round.

There is a good wireless internet in the area of the pool (there is only paid internet in the hotel) and if you go there in the morning you can watch a wonderful old lady made bread in the clay oven behind the pool area, which many people seem to miss. For me it was one of the highlights of my stay....she was so friendly and allowed me to make my own little rolls which I filled with herbs and spices given to me by the chef at the pool restaurant.

Go and enjoy a shisha pipe in the afternoon in the gardens or have a relaxing English tea with cake and sandwiches in on of the gazebos in the gardens...or go and enjoy a game of pool by the bar, again in the pool area.

It is all wonderful...an unforgettable experience and an absolute oasis when you have been route marched round the Valleys or the temples. The gins and tonic are generous and the nuts and olives copious, the food in the restaurants, though not cheap, excellent and wonderfully served....in short, it is all a little like regressing to the 1890's and the time of Hercule Poirot...civilised and understated in the genteel sort of way.

For me there is certainly no better hotel in Luxor - though I do enjoy wandering down to the Steigenberger and hassling them to let me take a breakfast ourside on the terrace overlooking the Nile...but I would never stay there - the Pavillion is comfortable, relaxed and classy without being stuffy or overbearing.

A last little recommendation - go into the bar of the Winter Palace and order a G and T or whatever your tipple is, and ask them to take it out to the front of the hotel to the right where there is another terrace, and just sit there...overlooking the Nile on one side, with views to the illuminated hills of the West bank of the Nile, the chaos which is the road (or Corniche as it is called) with the caleches and taxis and people, all fighting for space and shouting the odds at each other and everyone else...and then look back at the illuminated facade of the Winter Palace....there really cannot be a better or more romantic drinking experience in the whole of Egypt.

We loved our stay..and are grateful to Christian Ruge and his wonderful staff for remembering us from 4 months ago and going to such trouble to make our stay there so enjoyable. I am already looking at my diary for 2012!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Sofitel Pavillon Winter Luxor? Share your experiences!