“Tranquil oasis amidst the hustle and bustle......” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
save up to 35%
Ranked #13 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
Reading, United Kingdom
“Tranquil oasis amidst the hustle and bustle......”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

We have just returned from our stay at the Pavilion Wing of the Winter Palace Gardens. We felt we'd stepped back in time..... 1886. The gardens are magnificent, majestic and very well maintained. The customer service we received was second to none and kudos must go to Ahmed (very upstanding gentleman) on reception for his help with our room. The breakfast waiting staff were superb and great teachers of their native tongue to us. Nothing was too much trouble. The breakfast was superb. Khalid, the swimming pool attendant was very attentive. As expected, rooms cleaned/hoovered/ fresh linen provided daily. We can not fault our stay here at all. We will most definitely return next year.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Dear Guest
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadviosr. We are glad that you have enjoyed the garden & the service at Pavillon winter hotel. It would be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues .We look forward to welcome you back next year to Pavillon Winter Hotel.
Nabil Kahil

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2013 via mobile

Stay in the pavilion wing to enjoy outdoor breakfast allow access to same facilities as if staying in the main building. A stay in the Winter Palace is a perfect complement to a Luxor experience. Wifi accessible in the main lobby area only. Swimming pool area is great. Use the back entrance (service entrance) to get directly into the real Luxor streets, restaurant area etc. and avoid the hassle you get when stepping in out of the main entrance.

Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear Guest
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoy your stay with us; we are looking forward to welcome you back to Pavillon winter hotel on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Nabil Kahil
London
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We went to Winter palace to have a late lunch. The books and reviews on trip advisor made us think it was worth doing that. So after a hot morning looking Around luxor museum and temple we went into Winter palace. It's a beautiful setting and makes you feel you have stepped back into an Agatha Christies novel. We sat in one of the drawing rooms and had lovely club lunch with tea. We throughly enjoyed it. However we tried To pay with a credit card and the waiter said there was a problem and that it wouldn't go through. So we kept the cancelled receipts and paid in cash. We thought nothing of it but sure enough back in uk - hotel charged us on card and took the cash. We have complained to our bank and have receipts to prove but I would say watch out for this as it seems like a scam which I wouldn't expect at hotel.

• Stayed March 2013
Osayed, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Dear guests, thank you for your feedback on tripadvisor.com. We are glad that you have enjoyed your lunch with tea at the Sofitel Winter Palace, In regards to the lunch charges to your credit card ,it would be very kind if you could send me the visa cancelled receipts to my email : H1661-FO@SOFITEL.COM, so that I can follow up on this point. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address these points and prevent future occurrence.
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

We stayed at the Pavillon wing of the hotel, but had full access to the facilities there.

Soon as we walked in we were remembered by various members of staff which is very nice and always nice to be greeted by Front desk Manager Mr Fathy, on our visits to our second home !

We dined at the 1886 twice, first and last night and it's a great way to start and end a holiday in Luxor. We also used the Royal bar with the smoothing tunes from the piano player there, as is the guitar player in the 1886.

We had lunch a couple of times at the pool side restaurant set in the Winter Palaces lovely gardens which is a serene Oasis in the midst of Luxor.

High Tea was as usual of a high standard and served in the Victoria lounge which was once the Ballroom.

There is a computer with internet access for guests of the Winter Palace / Pavillon at the bottom of the stairs just off of the reception area. Wifi was available in the reception as well.

One small note of sorrow is that for our next visit is the Mr Kamal Bastawy the Conciergewill nolonger be there as he retires next month. We wish him all the best for the future

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Osayed, Front Office Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, April 11, 2013
Dear guests, thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadviosr. We are glad that you have enjoyed your twice dinner at 1886 restaurant , the High tea at The Victorian Lounge, Lunch by the Pool and the garden of the hotel. It would be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues .We are looking forward to welcome to back to your second home Pavillon Winter Hotel.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

Stunning setting and amazing gardens. Excellent location in Luxor, adjacent to Luxor Temple, the Nile, steeped in history. Unmissable.
Egypt is going through difficult times and Luxor has been hard hit. Many of the staff have taken a cut in wages to keep their jobs and are very persistent re tipping but don't even consider Egypt if this sort of thing is going to bother you. The pool was unheated and had been advertised as heated. I complained and the manager offered to drive me daily to the nearby Movenpick , like I could be bothered in 7 days ?
I took a trip to Aswan and went along to Karnak. I would definitely return to this hotel for its style, garden and ambience.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest, thank you very much for your time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you enjoyed the style, garden & ambiance of the hotel. I apologize, that not all services during your stay were delivered to your full satisfaction .We hope to have the chance to welcome you back to the Sofitel Winter Palace on one of your future trips to Egypt and to have the opportunity to perfectly serve you on that occasion. Thank you again for your feedback.
Kind regards
EDINBURGH
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2013

I just love the Winter Palace in Luxor, I have been here many many times and I never get tired of this hotel. Location is really ideal, as it sits in the centre of Luxor and within easy distance of all the attractions.

The hotel has stood the test of time and is one of the most historic hotels in Luxor. This is where Lord Canarvon and Howard Carter met to discuss the search for the tomb of Tutankhamun all those years ago, and it has featured in movies both old and new.

I normally stay in the Pavillon which is situated in the extensive gardens. This is a quieter spot, and I really do prefer it. I have been in the classic Old Winter Palace building, but if you do decide to stay in the old part, try a room that looks over the garden as they are much quieter.

I was once upgraded to the Old part and placed in a room at the front of the hotel, but, it is really rather noisy as it fronts the main street, or the Cornice as it is called. You hear all the traffic and motorbikes, and when Luxor use to be busy, prior to the revolution, you would also have all the noise and fumes from the cruise boats anchored on the Nile in front of the hotel.

Now, back to the Pavillon, as I say this block sits in the extensive garden and it really is peaceful. The staff, Mr Oraby in particular, cant do enough to look after you. He is very professional and extremely helpful and is a real credit to the place. I got bitten by some mosquitoes a few days ago and when I returned to my room he had placed, on my bed, a brand new plug in machine to stop the little blighters from biting me when I slept. This really is above and beyond the call of duty - so to him, thank you for that, and it did the trick perfectly.

I tend to take breakfast in the Old Winter, (the older part of the hotel) it is much nicer, and for a modest fee they allow you to do this. I also enjoy the walk through the gardens in the morning, en-route to breakfast. You will see the gardner`s busy cutting the grass and pruning the trees & bushes.

They have a super pool area, and when I was there last week it was very quiet. Egypt as a whole is quiet at the moment due to all the bad press, but believe me it is the best possible time to visit as you will have the monuments and temples to yourselves. Weather wise it is just lovely, they hardly ever get rain, and there is something nice about getting up each morning to sunshine.

The rooms in the Old Winter are nice, but they could do with some modernising, I think most people would agree with this. The rooms in the Pavillon are basically furnished, but clean and spacious and perfectly adequate for your needs. I had a suite on my last visit as I like the extra space, which really just has the addition of a sitting room, and it also has two balconies.

The housekeeping staff look after the rooms well and you will return to flowers on your bed most evenings, which is a nice touch.

I dont tend to eat in the Winter Palace, just breakfast as I mentioned, and perhaps a light lunch at the pool as I find the food un-interesting, and expensive for what they offer. They maybe should ask the question as to why the restaurants in the evening are so quiet when 3 other restaurants in Luxor I have reviewed are packed with their customers!

I was in a restaurant called Puddleduck the other evening and nearly all the people in there were from the Winter Palace.

Now whether you stay in the Old Winter (the expensive part) or the Pavillon, all the facilities are avaliable to you. You can use all the facilities at the pool, you can use the Royal Bar, have afternoon tea in the Old Winter lounge, or have drinks on the front terrace and watch the sunset.

I really do like it here and it is like a home form home when I visit, I hope they do spend some money on the hotel as it is now beginning to show its age, she is a very Regal old lady, as as such must be cared for for future generations to come.

The history of this hotel is far to important to just let fade, so I do hope, given they have now completed the refurbishment if the Old Cataract in Aswan that this fine example of architecture is next.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Dear Guests
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your detailed feedback on tripadvisor. We are so glad that you always enjoy your stay with us; it will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleague. We are looking forward to welcome you back to your home from home on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Chelsea, Alabama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 22, 2013

Lovely hotel and especially lovely grounds. We had an adjoining room with our adult daughter. Rooms were fairly spacious. We had a room with a balcony and Nile view. However, along with this view, you will sacrifice some peacefulness as you will be on the main street. The noise was not enough for me to want to forego the view.
Unfortunately we only had one night at this lovely hotel. I would have liked to have a day just to enjoy the grounds.
We were very tired after a visit to the Valley of the Kings so we opted to order room service. We called after 1 and 1/2 hours and no food. Somehow our order was not conveyed. We did get our order in another 30 minutes and were given free desert. We probably should have called after the first 30 minutes, but we were so tired we were probably dozing.
Breakfast was lovely and very ample.
If not for the room service issue this would get a full 5 stars. Wish I could give 4.5.

Room Tip: Rooms with a view of the Nile will come with a bit of noise. Our decision was to take a bit of noise...