“The place to stay in Luxor -” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
save up to 35%
Ranked #11 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
UK
“The place to stay in Luxor -”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

more specifically, the old part of the Winter Palace, rather than the Pavillon. A wonderful building full of character with charming and helpful staff. The gardens at the back of the building are a wonderful retreat from the street bustle at the front of the hotel. Choice at breakfast was huge but dinner was a disappointing affair - the food was very average and grossly overpriced. The Sofra Restaurant is only a 10 minute walk away and is a much better bet for dinner (but get precise directions beforehand or go by caleche (20 Egyptian Pounds, max)). The only niggle - why no (small) gym?

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues and we will take in consideration your comment about the food in view of doing the necessary changes. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Rafic Khairallah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (106)
Milton Keynes, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

If you are not staying at the Winter Palace you can still experience a little bit of it by taking high tea there between 4 and 6pm. We visited as a special treat on my birthday and enjoyed it immensely. The tea and coffee served was nice and hot. High tea consists of a pot of tea (or coffee) with small open sandwidges that had a variety of toppings, a selection of small cakes and a bun like scone with marmalade, chocolate mouse and custard pots, it tasted great. High tea is at a cost of 150 Egyptian pounds (about £15 Stirling), we ordered one high tea between us and a coffee and found it was sufficient quantity for the two of us. There is no real need to book in advance as unfortunately Luxor is not that busy with tourists right now. Overall I found it to be a nice experience that goes beyond the simple eating and drinking of high tea! Note- there is no specific dress code for high tea, numerous others in the Victorian lounge were wearing jeans and T shirts but we made the effort to dress a little smarter, I think it is fitting for the experience and the hotel do appreciate this.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the High Tea in Victorian Lounge, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Brighton
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

We went for dinner at the Winter Palace for my partners birthday, because we wanted a special night. The hotel is lovely, just what you'd expect from the reputation and our expectation after a lovely gin and tonic at the bar, was high.

The first disappointment was the limited menu, we actually found it difficult to choose something we wanted to have.
Then the food arrived. Both our salads were nice, not amazing and my partners chicken was raw. We sent it back and it was returned overcooked without the slightest sorry.
The main courses we had, again were average - I had beef with steamed veg and the other choice was lamb with mash. My potatoes were undercooked.
We looked at the menu for desserts and there was nothing we liked the look of.
This is supposed to be a five star dining experience and it was definitely not that, it was incredibily disappointing. I would definitely not recommend it.

Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Royal Bar, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. we will take in consideration your comment about the food in view of doing the necessary changes. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Delray Beach, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Beautiful location but an updated bathroom would elevate this hotel to 5star luxury. Arrived at the hotel and we were welcomed with a local refreshment (karkadeh) and cold towels while we registered. Welcome amenities say a lot to me - they say the hotel cares about your arrival.Our room in the main building was a stately decorated haven of opulence with tremendously high 12 foot ceilings, antique etchings of local scenes, local handicrafts and a dramatic unpapallelled view of the nile from a balcony set with enormous wicker arm chairs. The view was incredible from the sunrise display of hot air balloons to the sunset array of boat traffic on the Nile. A tray of complimentary fresh fruit and chocolates was an unexpected in room treat. The luxurious marble bathroom although dated was spotless but could stand an update to bring it from circa 1970 to the 21st century. The bath had a white fabric shower curtain, a vanity mirror had missing shelves (the pegs to support the glass shelves were left)and the windows and doors did not close.Bath amenities were abundant but the robes and towels could have been more plush and the cotton towels were limited. Service at the hotel was always efficient and cordial. The staff were always smiling and very eager to please guests. The food was ok . Breakfast buffet offered a decent selection .Cooked to order eggs and grilled tomatoes were good. The fresh baked pastry was excellent - flaky croissants, raisin danish and pain au chocolat were very good. Maybe the pastry chef can take over the kitchen? Dinner at La Corniche served a meal that was ok. The fish tagen lacked any local flavour and although the fish was definitely very fresh and moist,given the abundance of local spices it was somewhat disappointing. The poolside lunch menu offered classic international dishes which are well prepared and satisfying. Club sandwiches or mini burgers with fries and Tuna and caesar salads were generous portions. One evening we toasted the sunset from our balcony with local wine and a tray of desserts. It was heaven. On another evening after dinner we went to the bar for a drink. The luxurious, traditional bar with plush seating, dark red walls hung with classic western style oil paintings is the place for a cocktail. While I perused the drinks menu, the waiter was quick to comment that the bartender would make anything I would like but when I asked about a cosmopolitan with vodka the waiter returned saying that the bartender didn't know how to make it. Eventually we decided on a custom cocktail make with a local specialty beverage of red hibiscus flower (karkadeh). The waiter was so gracious and accommodating that we returned for several evenings after dinner to relax and enjoy a late night beverage.
The hotel grounds are a beautiful oasis of meandering gardens with lots of places to sit and relax after a day of visiting sites. The other hotels in town can't compare on many levels and despite the antique bathrooms the Winter Palace is definitely the place to stay in Luxor.
Good hotel that needs an update to make it great!

Room Tip: A room with a view of the Nile is absolutely heaven.
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Nile view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues and we will take in consideration your comments about the renovation and the food in view of doing the necessary changes. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Olney, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I will get right to the point! DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!. This was my 5th trip to Egypt and I have stayed at this hotel before. The quality of the stay was terrible. It was hot but no A/C. When asked to turn it on I was told, "It's winter". I said that it is hot (low 90s F, low 30s C)... I got a repeat, *it's winter". What I got was a fan in the room. It was so hot I had to sleep with the doors to the balcony open. It didn't really help and I got 8 mosquito bites on my arms the first night. I was told they turn the A/C on Feb. 1. Our tour would return to the hotel in early February. I initially arrived at the hotel in mid January. When I returned in February it was a bit cooler but still quite warm. Still no A/C!! I asked about the Feb. 1 date and was again told, "It's winter!". Now I was in both Cairo and Aswan and they had the A/C on it those hotels. I don't know what the problem is at this hotel. It is very poorly run. A lot of employess standing around doing nothing. One night a friend of mine and I went to the pool bar to play pool. The bar closes at 7PM. We got there around 5:30 PM. When the two employees at the bar saw us coming they tried to hide. We finally got them to come out and told them we wanted to play pool. We were told the pool table closes at 5PM. We said but you are open until 7 why is the pool table closed at 5:30? Again we were told, "pool table closes at 5PM, come back tomorrow morning". We said we didn't want to play pool in the morning. It didn't matter as it was like talking to a wall. And it wasn't a language problem... it was either a complete disinterest in helping a guest, laziness, bad management or all of them. Anyway, it was a terrible stay and I was so glad to get out of the hotel. One final gripe... My room was so small I had to turn sideways to get between the bed and the stand where my suitcase was placed. The bathroom was so small that only one person could be in it at a time. Oh, and because of the lack of A/C, in the royal bar you would choke from the cigarette smoke and lack of circulation. Also, you would start to sweat just sitting still. It was miserable. The only good thing I can say about the place are the grounds. They are quite beautiful and well maintained. But other than that the hotel is a mess. A very unpleasant stay. If you are going to be in Luxor stay at some other hotel.

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the Pavilion part are larger even though it is considered the less desirable pa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
meerbeke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed in Luxor in the Sofitel Old Winter Palace after being upgraded. Oh oh oh, grandeur, back into time with Howard Carter, from the entrance hall through the corridor to the restaurants, bar, tearoom... it is so beautifull. Not to forget the garden and the swimming pool. Good service. The breakfast buffet was almost too beautifull to touch, to eat. Easy walking to the Luxor, the Luxor museum, the soukh. Leave the hotel through the garden exit and find your way into Television Street where you enter "non touristic" Luxor. What an experience !
In case a stay in the hotel is not possible, just go up to the terrace, get installed in the nice seats under the parasols, have a drink and enjoy the view on the Nile and the Westbank.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a terrace and view on the Nile
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the charm of history, the Nile view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice word.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was there with my family, total 6, two connected superior rooms, garden view. We were upgraded to the prestigious King Farouk Room, where the ex-president had stayed. Yes, very luxury. But no internet in room ( just worked ( very slow!!! ) on the entrance ), breakfast was just ok, old furniture. 4/5 is fair. I guess that glory is now past.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the charm of history, the King Farouk room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location.
we will take in consideration your comment about the internet in view of doing the necessary changes. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Rafic Khairallah

Been to Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor? Share your experiences!