“Good hotel that needs an update to make it great!” 4 of 5 stars

Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corniche El Nile St, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
Delray Beach, Florida
“Good hotel that needs an update to make it great!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Beautiful location but an updated bathroom would elevate this hotel to 5star luxury. Arrived at the hotel and we were welcomed with a local refreshment (karkadeh) and cold towels while we registered. Welcome amenities say a lot to me - they say the hotel cares about your arrival.Our room in the main building was a stately decorated haven of opulence with tremendously high 12 foot ceilings, antique etchings of local scenes, local handicrafts and a dramatic unpapallelled view of the nile from a balcony set with enormous wicker arm chairs. The view was incredible from the sunrise display of hot air balloons to the sunset array of boat traffic on the Nile. A tray of complimentary fresh fruit and chocolates was an unexpected in room treat. The luxurious marble bathroom although dated was spotless but could stand an update to bring it from circa 1970 to the 21st century. The bath had a white fabric shower curtain, a vanity mirror had missing shelves (the pegs to support the glass shelves were left)and the windows and doors did not close.Bath amenities were abundant but the robes and towels could have been more plush and the cotton towels were limited. Service at the hotel was always efficient and cordial. The staff were always smiling and very eager to please guests. The food was ok . Breakfast buffet offered a decent selection .Cooked to order eggs and grilled tomatoes were good. The fresh baked pastry was excellent - flaky croissants, raisin danish and pain au chocolat were very good. Maybe the pastry chef can take over the kitchen? Dinner at La Corniche served a meal that was ok. The fish tagen lacked any local flavour and although the fish was definitely very fresh and moist,given the abundance of local spices it was somewhat disappointing. The poolside lunch menu offered classic international dishes which are well prepared and satisfying. Club sandwiches or mini burgers with fries and Tuna and caesar salads were generous portions. One evening we toasted the sunset from our balcony with local wine and a tray of desserts. It was heaven. On another evening after dinner we went to the bar for a drink. The luxurious, traditional bar with plush seating, dark red walls hung with classic western style oil paintings is the place for a cocktail. While I perused the drinks menu, the waiter was quick to comment that the bartender would make anything I would like but when I asked about a cosmopolitan with vodka the waiter returned saying that the bartender didn't know how to make it. Eventually we decided on a custom cocktail make with a local specialty beverage of red hibiscus flower (karkadeh). The waiter was so gracious and accommodating that we returned for several evenings after dinner to relax and enjoy a late night beverage.
The hotel grounds are a beautiful oasis of meandering gardens with lots of places to sit and relax after a day of visiting sites. The other hotels in town can't compare on many levels and despite the antique bathrooms the Winter Palace is definitely the place to stay in Luxor.
Good hotel that needs an update to make it great!

Room Tip: A room with a view of the Nile is absolutely heaven.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, October 21, 2013
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Nile view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues and we will take in consideration your comments about the renovation and the food in view of doing the necessary changes. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Rafic Khairallah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Olney, Maryland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

I will get right to the point! DO NOT STAY AT THIS HOTEL!!. This was my 5th trip to Egypt and I have stayed at this hotel before. The quality of the stay was terrible. It was hot but no A/C. When asked to turn it on I was told, "It's winter". I said that it is hot (low 90s F, low 30s C)... I got a repeat, *it's winter". What I got was a fan in the room. It was so hot I had to sleep with the doors to the balcony open. It didn't really help and I got 8 mosquito bites on my arms the first night. I was told they turn the A/C on Feb. 1. Our tour would return to the hotel in early February. I initially arrived at the hotel in mid January. When I returned in February it was a bit cooler but still quite warm. Still no A/C!! I asked about the Feb. 1 date and was again told, "It's winter!". Now I was in both Cairo and Aswan and they had the A/C on it those hotels. I don't know what the problem is at this hotel. It is very poorly run. A lot of employess standing around doing nothing. One night a friend of mine and I went to the pool bar to play pool. The bar closes at 7PM. We got there around 5:30 PM. When the two employees at the bar saw us coming they tried to hide. We finally got them to come out and told them we wanted to play pool. We were told the pool table closes at 5PM. We said but you are open until 7 why is the pool table closed at 5:30? Again we were told, "pool table closes at 5PM, come back tomorrow morning". We said we didn't want to play pool in the morning. It didn't matter as it was like talking to a wall. And it wasn't a language problem... it was either a complete disinterest in helping a guest, laziness, bad management or all of them. Anyway, it was a terrible stay and I was so glad to get out of the hotel. One final gripe... My room was so small I had to turn sideways to get between the bed and the stand where my suitcase was placed. The bathroom was so small that only one person could be in it at a time. Oh, and because of the lack of A/C, in the royal bar you would choke from the cigarette smoke and lack of circulation. Also, you would start to sweat just sitting still. It was miserable. The only good thing I can say about the place are the grounds. They are quite beautiful and well maintained. But other than that the hotel is a mess. A very unpleasant stay. If you are going to be in Luxor stay at some other hotel.

Room Tip: I think the rooms in the Pavilion part are larger even though it is considered the less desirable pa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
meerbeke
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2013

Stayed in Luxor in the Sofitel Old Winter Palace after being upgraded. Oh oh oh, grandeur, back into time with Howard Carter, from the entrance hall through the corridor to the restaurants, bar, tearoom... it is so beautifull. Not to forget the garden and the swimming pool. Good service. The breakfast buffet was almost too beautifull to touch, to eat. Easy walking to the Luxor, the Luxor museum, the soukh. Leave the hotel through the garden exit and find your way into Television Street where you enter "non touristic" Luxor. What an experience !
In case a stay in the hotel is not possible, just go up to the terrace, get installed in the nice seats under the parasols, have a drink and enjoy the view on the Nile and the Westbank.

Room Tip: Ask for room with a terrace and view on the Nile
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the charm of history, the Nile view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice word.
Rio de Janeiro, RJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2013

I was there with my family, total 6, two connected superior rooms, garden view. We were upgraded to the prestigious King Farouk Room, where the ex-president had stayed. Yes, very luxury. But no internet in room ( just worked ( very slow!!! ) on the entrance ), breakfast was just ok, old furniture. 4/5 is fair. I guess that glory is now past.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the charm of history, the King Farouk room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location.
we will take in consideration your comment about the internet in view of doing the necessary changes. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
New York, New York, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This hotel has drawn me back to Luxor three times. If I am very lucky, I will retire into it one day. This place has it all. Practically speaking, it's an easy walk to the Luxor Temple and quite simple to reach from the airport and the sights of the West Bank. More romantically speaking... If you are a history nerd, like me, it's a thrill just to sit where Howard Carter and his party would have announced their discovery of King Tut's tomb. The Winter Palace can do much better than sitting - in the amazing bar, there is a wonderful bartender/manager, Akim Farouk, who will whip up a delish cocktail that one can enjoy while reading one of the many antique, interesting books in the bar library. Many of the books were left by guests around the turn of the century. Further historical delights wait in the high tea salon, which is gorgeous and very aesthetically interesting. You can bet the tea's good, too! Then there are the expansive gardens, with occasional fun surprises like a small aviary or a great shisha corner. The rooms continue the feel of beign transported to another time. They are gorgeous, with marble and all the amenties one could want.

Best of all, the staff is exceptional. The laundry and mending is impeccable, any visit to a bar or restaurant has been a dream (don't miss sunset over the Nile from the terrace bar), and the housekeepers are exceptional, friendly, and manage to raise cleanliness and turndown service to an art. This hotel is my favorite place in all the world. If you like historical ambience, you'll love it here. If you like luxury, you'll be well-satisfied too.

Room Tip: Make sure you stay in the Old Winter Palace. The garden wing may be cheaper but it lacks the histor...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the charm of history, the Garden, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Grimsby, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

While staying at The Pavillon in the grounds of The Winter Palace we used the main hotel every day for the last week of our holiday in Egypt after a Nile cruise.

Firstly the staff were absolutely amazingly kind and helpful. Nothing we asked for was too much trouble, whether it was in the restaurants and we used all four while them. The reception areas, the man who kept our room clean, the staff around the pool. Include this with the most beautiful gardens and pool area it was like staying in an hotel with our own private park.

Egypt is going through a tough time at the moment and it was sad to see the hotel not even a quarter full. Many of the staff have worked there for years and clearly love working there, it comes through every time you see them, they are so polite, so kind and friendly, as well as being professional.

The reason we have only given it four stars overall is that Sofitel needs to update some of the rooms and public areas but in the current climate it is not surprising and we suspect this is on hold for the time being.

Room Tip: If you cannot afford the rooms in The Winter Palace, stay in The Pavilion in the garden, it is an oa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Garden view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues.
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I visited Sofitel Winter Palace with high expectation, recommended by family friends with kids. The hotel itself is situated just next to Luxor Temple and facing the Niles. It is in the historical building where Egyptian King used to live, with beautiful decoration but the service does not certainly deserve the reputation it has.
The swimming pool was not heated and water was freezing. No wonder why no one was swimming and I and my two-year old daughter were not the exception. I was briefed by a staff that they are out of gas for one week or so and are trying to obtain gas with no avail. There was no sign, words or act of apology by the staff and left the place as if nothing happened. When other hotels with fewer stars can make it happen, why could not Sofitel with 5 stars?
Secondly, they could not organize a trip which I requested a couple of weeks ago. And I ended up with doing the similar tour I did a couple of years ago with my family. If I knew it was not possible, I could have arranged it through a travel agency or postponed my trip to Luxor.
I did not feel that the concierge's response was not professional and sincere at all.
I would probably go to another hotel with better rating in TripAdvisor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the charm of history, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues and we will take in consideration your comment about the conceirge in view of doing the necessary changes as the pool is heated now. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Rafic Khairallah

Been to Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor? Share your experiences!