“A must if visiting Luxor” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
save up to 35%
Ranked #12 of 57 Hotels in Luxor
South East
“A must if visiting Luxor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

While staying at The Pavillon in the grounds of The Winter Palace we used the main hotel every day for the last week of our holiday in Egypt after a Nile cruise.

Firstly the staff were absolutely amazingly kind and helpful. Nothing we asked for was too much trouble, whether it was in the restaurants and we used all four while them. The reception areas, the man who kept our room clean, the staff around the pool. Include this with the most beautiful gardens and pool area it was like staying in an hotel with our own private park.

Egypt is going through a tough time at the moment and it was sad to see the hotel not even a quarter full. Many of the staff have worked there for years and clearly love working there, it comes through every time you see them, they are so polite, so kind and friendly, as well as being professional.

The reason we have only given it four stars overall is that Sofitel needs to update some of the rooms and public areas but in the current climate it is not surprising and we suspect this is on hold for the time being.

Room Tip: If you cannot afford the rooms in The Winter Palace, stay in The Pavilion in the garden, it is an oa...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Osayed, General Manager at Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Garden view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues.
Rafic Khairallah

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (113)
Yangon (Rangoon), Myanmar
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 27, 2013

I visited Sofitel Winter Palace with high expectation, recommended by family friends with kids. The hotel itself is situated just next to Luxor Temple and facing the Niles. It is in the historical building where Egyptian King used to live, with beautiful decoration but the service does not certainly deserve the reputation it has.
The swimming pool was not heated and water was freezing. No wonder why no one was swimming and I and my two-year old daughter were not the exception. I was briefed by a staff that they are out of gas for one week or so and are trying to obtain gas with no avail. There was no sign, words or act of apology by the staff and left the place as if nothing happened. When other hotels with fewer stars can make it happen, why could not Sofitel with 5 stars?
Secondly, they could not organize a trip which I requested a couple of weeks ago. And I ended up with doing the similar tour I did a couple of years ago with my family. If I knew it was not possible, I could have arranged it through a travel agency or postponed my trip to Luxor.
I did not feel that the concierge's response was not professional and sincere at all.
I would probably go to another hotel with better rating in TripAdvisor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the charm of history, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues and we will take in consideration your comment about the conceirge in view of doing the necessary changes as the pool is heated now. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
Epsom, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013 via mobile

Our second year eating at this opulent restaurant for my husbands birthday. We have a drink at the Royal Bar first while listening to love piano and choosing our meal from the menu.
My goat cheese salad, then the mushroom risotto as the second course was delicious and well balanced , however my main meal which I was grilled giant prawns was disappointing ad it was covered in some paste which tasted fowl . I did tell the waiter though but he was surprised as he said that is one of their best selling fishes. My husband enjoyed his asparagus soup but was disappointed at his asparagus and artichoke salad as they were all chopped up into rice size prices he enjoyed his sea bass as main course. The wine was great and the whole experience is wonderful as it is the oldest hotel in Luxor with beautiful gardens and views to the Nile

• Stayed January 2013
Dear guests,
Thank you for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Royal bar, the 1886 restaurant, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues and we will take in consideration your comment about the food in view of doing the necessary changes. We are looking forward to welcoming you back on one of your future trips to Egypt.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

We stayed here for a week whilst visiting all the ancient sites nearby. It is a truly remarkable hotel - stylish, luxurious, historic. We were made to feel very welcome, and the staff were all polite and attentive. I was very impressed by the impeccable attention to detail, from the superb range at breakfast each morning, with the patisserie chef choosing a different colour theme each day, to the smiling shoe-shine boy in the lobby. We were there in August and had originally booked in the newer wing; as this was low season, the rooms there were being refurbished and we were upgraded to the original older part, where the rooms were on the small side but with lovely views over the extensive gardens. Every evening the bed was turned down by an anonymous, efficient pair of hands which also left behind an amusing sculpture made out of a towel. The pool was well-maintained and quiet, a welcome escape from the searing afternoon temperatures. I would have no hesitation in recommending this hotel.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Fethiye, Turkey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 24, 2013

we have been coming to luxor over 20 times and always end up here for afternoon tea our first visit was in 1996 here and the teas are as immaculate as ever.the gardens are well kept and well worth a walk round either before or after tea.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guests,
Thank you for your visite and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Afternoon Tea, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues.
Barossa Valley, South Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

SOFITEL WINTER PALACE
CHECK-IN:
Check-in was fast and efficient and you are made to feel welcome - simply by how they seat you in the old antique furniture that lies around the lobby and bring everything needed for check-in to you.

ROOMS DAY 1:
We had two rooms booked (one for my parents and one for my brother and I) and we were given interconnecting rooms, which was nice. The twin beds were put right next to each other with no gap. These beds were quite harder than the usual Sofitel MyBed I have experienced at Sofitels in Melbourne, Dubai and Munich (to name a few). While they were not uncomfortable, they were much harder than the standard Sofitel bed I have experienced.

TV - was a small widescreen LCD with 30 channels and average reception. No DVD player in the room, though the TV did have HDMI input for those who want to connect their PC to the TV. No USB input however for external hard drives.

Bathroom - was tiny and cramped. The toilet was behind the door (no big deal) and it had a shower-over-bath combination.

The complimentary ethernet internet connection was extremely slow and kept cutting in and out. The Wifi in the room was not much better either.

We had Nile View rooms on the second floor. Note that while the view from these rooms is nice (trees do block some of the view being on the second floor - the third floor views are unobstructed) it is very noisy with the traffic going by and honking their horns like Egyptians do. The rooms on the garden view side would be much quieter.

Also there were a few mosquitoes buzzing and sucking our blood through the night. Don't bother trying to kill them either - the ceiling is like four meters high. We had to wear insect repellent to get to sleep.

There was no hot water on the first day for the entire day, which was a huge inconvenience after flying down from Cairo that day. The hotel did deliver platters of fruit and nibbles, but I didn't really want food - I wanted a hot shower.

ROOMS DAY 2:
Our hot water was working when I woke up at about 0530 the following morning, which was a relief. However the hot water was still not working in our parent's room when we left for the Valley of the Kings at about 0700.

Upon returning to the hotel at approximately 1400, the hot water was still not working in our parent's room and the hotel pre-empted any complaints or issues by saying they would upgrade them to a suite. As an added touch, they also upgraded my brother and I and we were all brought up to the Howard Carter Opera Suite! This room was on the third floor and was simply amazing with two bedrooms (one with a queen bed and the other with two singles) with a separate living room between them. Each bedroom had its own huge bathroom and television (the living room TV had a DVD player). The furniture was of very high quality. The shower in the bathroom was wall-mounted and positioned that if you turned it on with the curtain open a lot of water would end up on the floor.

We could not find the ethernet connection in this room for internet and the Wifi was stronger in this room, but still cut out for periods of time.

The view from the room was fantastic with unobstructed panoramic Nile views, but still came with the noises of traffic and people yelling at tourists to sell them horse chariot rides.

The hotel also extended us an invitation for afternoon tea in the Victoria Lounge, which was a fancy high tea with scones and little nibbles with very attentive service from our waitperson.

FOOD:
Breakfast was quite good with the usual large Sofitel spread of food. Each table has an Egg Menu and the eggs are fantastic! The hot foods changed day to day so I was a little disappointed the second morning there was no beef bacon, but the beef sausages were good too. There is a choice of about six teas on the table to choose from. There is also the usual selection of juices (both normal and diet), cereals, breads, fruits and yoghurts and desserts.

Room service at this hotel was surprisingly well priced and it was welcome to see that the cost on the menu was inclusive of all taxes and service charges (unlike every other hotel we have stayed at in Egypt which puts a 10% city tax and 12% service charge on all items). The food was a good quality and delivered promptly.

We did not dine in the restaurants (opted for room service) but the menus look good and are also decently priced for a five star hotel.

FACILITIES:
The garden at the back of the Palace is simply amazing to walk through. They employ a team of twelve gardeners and the garden is kept very tidy. Keep off the grass, of course.
The pool area is something out of a remote island resort. There is a 25m pool for lap swimming and there is a shallower pool with a swim-up bar and about 15 "stools" around it. There was about 40-50 deck chairs around the pool with very comfortable cushions. There is also a bar with seating and food options available poolside, as well as a sun lounge bar about ten meters away.

The pool water was far too cold for me to use (water temp was 22 degrees) and they closed the pool at 1700, which was quite early. On top of that, they had already started packing down the lounges and stacking the cushions when we got to the pool area at 1600 - it would have been nice if they waited to do this when the pool actually closed rather than before!

SUMMARY:
While the hot water being out hotelwide for an entire day was completely unacceptable - when the hot water in one of our rooms continued to still not work (there were a couple other small issues with their room too) the hotel pre-empted any complaints or scenes by upgrading us to a room that was simply amazing (and out of our budget at about $1500 per night).

The level of customer service shown to make our stay enjoyable and ensure we left with a smile was fantastic and the staff were real ambassadors of the Sofitel brand.

PROS:
Lovely old building
Great customer service
Nice food at a reasonable price

CONS:
Nile View rooms noisy from traffic - almost impossible to sleep until late
Internet very slow if you have a connection at all
Mosquitoes are a problem!
Pool not heated
No fitness centre (that we could find)

Room Tip: Nile view rooms very noisy. The view is better on the 3rd floor.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the charm of history, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues and we will take in consideration your comments in view of doing the necessary changes.
Banbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a fantastic old hotel, I was staying in the cheaper, newer Pavilion Wing. Rooms are very quiet & comfortable. Service immaculate. Gardens are a haven from the craziness outside. Mosquitoes are a problem. Pool is fantastic but NOT heated at the moment as no gas! Food not cheap but very nice. Use rear exit to hotel to escape madness at front.
I would stay again if I came to Luxor but not sure I will.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Dear guests,
Thank you for your stay with us and for taking the time to send us your feedback on tripadvisor. We are glad that you have enjoyed the Garden view room, the service and the Sofitel Luxor Winter Palace location. It will be my pleasure to pass on your nice words to our colleagues and we will take in consideration your comment about the Mosquitoes in view of doing the necessary changes as pool is heated now.
Rafic Khairallah

Been to Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor? Share your experiences!