I returned last Monday from three wonderful weeks at this hotel. I originally booked the Pavillon wing, but was very, very lucky to be upgraded to the Old Winter Palace. For my travelling companion, this was something that had been very high on her 'wish' list, but never thought would be achieved!
I have been coming to the Pavillon since 2000 and I am never disappointed with the service provided by all the staff (nothing is ever too much trouble). This is why I call the hotel and staff my second 'home' and 'family'.
There were many dignatories staying at the OWP, to celebrate the 90th Anniversary of the discovery of Tutankhamun's tomb (Lord and Lady Canarvon and many foreign Ambassadors), so this all added to the general excitement.
Sadly, for Luxor, tourism is only 30% of what it should be at this time of 'high' season, so I would say to anyone thinking of holidaying in Egypt - COME TO LUXOR (and to this hotel - it could not be more central to the temples and museums on the East Bank)! All is very calm there and the people are suffering from lack of business and would welcome everyone (though not without hassle, but it is out of desperation, not maliciousness).
Although I have only been back a few days, I am already looking forward to my next holiday in Luxor for the month of March 2013. Egypt is in my blood and I have to keep returning - for the people, monuments, tombs and history and in no small part the Old Winter Palace and Pavillon hotels!
- Also Known As:
- Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor Hotel Luxor
- Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor Hotel
- Accor Winter Palace Luxor
- Winter Palace Luxor
- Sofitel Luxor
- Luxor Sofitel
- Old Winter Palace Luxor
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Winter Palace, built in 1886 on the Nile banks in a tropical garden is a magical experience of history luxury that hosted royalties and celebrities throughout the years. Winter Palace offers the mythical atmosphere with the modern decor comfort of a 5 star hotel. It is located in the city center, just minutes from Luxor Temple and the airport. We apologize for any inconvenience that may occur due to the construction work taking place nearby the hotel as of June 14 th 2008 for a period of 6 months. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Orbitz, ACCOR, Hotels.com, Expedia, Booking.com, Tingo, Venere and Travelocity so you can book your Sofitel Winter Palace Luxor reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.