“Depends on What you Paid.....” 3 of 5 stars

Flobater Hotel Luxor
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sharia Khalid ibn el-Walid, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #45 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“Depends on What you Paid.....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

It' s hard to judge a hotel when you are the only guest there for the greater part of the week. The tourist trade has died almost completely and this has affected all the hotels here. There is no money to effect repairs and maintenance. This hotel needs a repaint as the corridors are dingy, but, on the other hand, the hotel has some very good points and I will definitely go back as long as I can get it at a budget/low price. If I had paid full price for my holiday I would have been dissatisfied. I got a good discount and I think that I got good value for what I paid. The standards of the hotel were acceptable and the location is quite good. See last paragraph about getting about.

There is no evidence of the hotel being half-built or curtains hanging off although an empty room that I saw did have a crack in the wall. All areas of the hotel were clean and the room service was excellent every day. Yes, the rooms were basic but the bed was very comfortable and was beautifully changed each day. The bathroom and bedroom were cleaned well daily. The pool terrace was bright and well maintained and the pool was clean. I would have swum had it been a couple of degrees warmer (January). I had a couple of fantastic sunbathing sessions up there with views towards the South side of the Valley of the Kings, (towards Queen Hatshepsut's Temple ) and over the Nile which is well visible.

My only complaint was that there was a problem with the hot water pump while I was there. This seems to be recurrent but, even so, I managed to draw hot water through by running the taps for fifteen minutes before using the shower.

The staff were exceptionally pleasant and couldn't do enough to help. The breakfasts and the evening meals were good and the portions were generous. As I was the only person there for five days of my week I had personal service for breakfast and dinner. Very Merchant Ivory. I was living like an Edwardian on the Grand Tour! NB. Small tip of about 10 or 20 LE is expected for service per meal.

The location is quite good and is much less noisy than the centre of Luxor. The calèche drivers are now based outside and so you can easily get into Luxor or elsewhere but, a word of warning, agree your price firmly before you travel as they will vary prices according to what they think they can get. I agreed 30 LE (Egyptian pounds - livres ègyptiennes) on my first trip into Luxor with one driver, he charged 40 LE for the second trip ( I didn't mind. £1.00 difference is nothing to me but means a lot to them) and then one day, when he had no business he tried to charge me 120 LE which I refused until he came down to 35 LE. I gave him 40 as I think that is a fair fare and I don't mind supporting people in whose country I am being made welcome when times are tough for them.

A lot of hawkers are trying to make up for their lost trade by charging ridiculous prices to the few tourists whom they can catch. That's just not on. Don't encourage it. (I usually managed to negotiate prices of jewellery and gifts down to 20 per cent of what was ourageously asked initially and I susoect that I could have gone lower.) They will harass the life out of you at present. Just respond with a firm "La, shukran ( no, thank you) " walk on and don't engage in any after conversation or eye contact unless you want a service, in which case agree your firm price beforehand or do not accept. It's not being rude - it's maintaining control of the situation otherwise you will be scammed. And don't accept.."ahh, whatever you want you pay!" - it's rarely enough!

And if anyone says " Hi, I know you , I work in your hotel," the chances are that they don't! Ask them which hotel that is and they will turn tail.

If you want to avoid being harassed on the Corniche as you walk towards Luxor, instead of turning left out of the hotel entrance, turn right, go to the end of the road and then turn left. down to a typical Egyptian trading street. Turn left. You will find this street fascinating. Carry on until you reach the end of the street after it narrows and at the main road turn left, walk along a little to the large open corner and turn left again and walk on until you reach the Corniche - then turn right. No hassle this way and you see the real Luxor.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo

Families
Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
Canterbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2012

ok so this place is not the hilton , but neither are the prices .... the roof is lovely, looking over to the west bank with the luxor waterworks to your side and the delightful school for girls whose uniform makes them look like little nuns at the rear . all the staff are really friendly , we were there for the 25th. january anniversary , we hope and pray for a better future for egypt and the people who deserve a better deal . the hotel is very central for luxor ... but watch out for the horse taxis ,they are relentless in their pursuit of any unwary tourist , just say la shokran , not maybe tomorrow.... you will live to regret it ! i might stay at the flobater again as i liked the people working there and also the owner.

Room Tip: ask for rooms on the nile side not the front when there in the winter , the reverse in the summer,th...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Leicester, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2011

This hotel is appalling we only stayed one night we felt like we were in a prison room in fact prisoners get better rooms etc , hotel only seems to be half built really disgusting place, in our room the curtain off hanging off dirty floors and bedding, no hot water for showers horrible dark and too much furniture in room ,unfriendly staff,noisy location and dirty squalid basement restaurant that served crap breakfast whilst sitting on filthy chair with dirty covers consisted of fried egg supposed to be omelette! and bit of bread with fig jam bit of cheese,bit of tomato and cucumber washed down with awful coffee
We felt dirty all the time we were there!
We came to Luxor to celebrate a birthday but this hotel nearly ruined it when rep came next day we told him we needed to move and we went up the road to Lotus hotel which is the same star rating but a world apart well worth the extra amount we paid
Do not stop here unless really desperate

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2011

20 minutes steady pace walk from Luxor temple. Away from all the hassle from people offering you caleche and felluca trips on the nile.

Rooms were just fine. Basic but clean. The only good thing was hot water was available all the time we were there. We just watched BBC world on the TV.

Did not try the swimming pool but the water looked clean. The views from the top are beautiful and would recommend sunrise and sunset times.

Staff were friendly and welcoming. We had good food served to us at the hotel at a very very reasonable rate. We had food most of the nights at the hotel. Breakfast was freshly cooked omlette with other standard stuff. I would recommend the fava beans and mashed potato.

WIFI is available in the lounge but not in the bedrooms above so would recommend carrying a laptop, otherwise you pay 20LE per hour.

I would recommend the shopping areas towards the back of the hotels where there is a childrens playground. All the egyptians seem to shop there. Prices were very reasonable and we browsed the internet for 2.50 LE per hour and got very decent rates for spices etc..

All in all pleasantly suprised by the food in the restaurant otherwise you get what you pay for.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Birmingham, UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 30, 2010

I stayed at the hotel for a week as part of a package deal. The rooms are of adequate size with an en suite shower. The hotel is located on the east bank about a 10 minute walk to luxor temple and close to good eating places.

The cleanliness I have rated a poor I rang reception to change my covers after I found many small hairs on the linen when I was about to sleep, the porter came to the room along with a key and changed me over to another room, Its looked satisfactory but upon further inspections the floor was dusty and needed a desperate mop, the shower head was covered in limescale and the sheets were the same.

After tipping the cleaners on the second morning (without mentioning that my room needed some tlc) the room was adequately cleaned.

There is a pool on the roof however its not heated therefore too cold to use. Breakfast is served 6am to 10am and consists of a basic buffet with omeletes made to order.

If I was to return to luxor definetely would not choose to stay here. From what I heard the sheraton (although a bit further out) or the lotus hotel would be my primary preferences.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2010

Staff were excellent going out of there way to help and gave great advice on how to avoid being conned by the many tourist merchants in Luxor. They told me the best markets to visit including how much you should pay and invaluble advice on what to do if someone did try and con you.

• Stayed December 2010
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2010

We stayed here for 3 nights. It was included in the tour package. I have to admit the service from the staff was the highlight of our stay. They were the best hotel staff we've met during the trip in Egypt.

Nothing to shout about on the hotel itself. The hotel and rooms could use major renovation. We had some issues on the rooms: TV didn't work, took a while to get hot water, leaks in the bathroom but it didn't ruin the whole stay. What we like about the place is the location. It's at the quiet part of Luxor and very close to nice cafes. It took about half an hour to go to Corniche and Luxor Temple.

Overall, I would recommend this hotel, only if you prepare to take what you paid for.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Flobater Hotel Luxor? Share your experiences!