“Ok for a first time visitor but a bit of a tourist trap in many ways” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Desert Paradise Lodge

Save Saved
You added Desert Paradise Lodge to your Saves list
Desert Paradise Lodge
Qabawi | Qurna, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #3 of 28 Luxor B&B and Inns
Edinburgh
“Ok for a first time visitor but a bit of a tourist trap in many ways”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2012

I booked this Lodge but was so disappointed after twenty minutes there I left and found somewhere else.
The room I was offered was rather pokey and functional (two smallish beds, little natural light)
The pool is clearly an 'add-on' and not that attractive.
I'm more interested in value than price, but at 300LE this does not, in my opinion, offer value compared to other places on the West Bank that offer far superior rooms, location and atmosphere, mostly at much less cost.
I got on fine with the manageress until I declined her offer of an airport pick-up as I could get one from a normal driver at half the price she had quoted (she then said he probably wouldn't be able to find it, but he had no trouble whatsoever). She then repeatedly implied I was a cheapskate and I found her manner rather offensive (perhaps if it had been the owner showing me around I might have stayed even though it does not, in my opinion, offer value for money - Ashraf seems a nice man and the atmosphere is an important element after all.)
I was told "You won't find anywhere quieter than this" which was just assuming ignorance on my part and quite incorrect (Desert Paradise is in the built up resettlement area, surrounded by other densely packed buildings, unlike most of the Old Gurna hotels that are in quiet woody groves.) Not to mention the television blaring in the courtyard . . .
Other reviewers seem to feel it is "ideally located;" - ideal, if your only other comparison is the East Bank - but it would be hard to find many places that are further from the Ticket Office or the hub of main attractions than Desert Paradise, so you are dependent on their taxis and prices.
I felt this is the sort of place that likes to be in charge so you don't have the chance to compare. You do it their way or not at all. I didn't stay to try the food, which sounds great (but so are many other places). At 300LE I would expect something a little bit special - big beds, wi-fi or something that you don't always get (but often do) at cheaper places in the area - none of these, though she did offer to "lend me her stick" for internet (not much good to me using an iPhone). And that peppered with warnings that the electricity was not working all the time.
To the people who have given this place such high praise, I would ask, where else on the West Bank have you stayed??
But having said that, there is a definite niche for hotels that basically run everything for you, even at cost. It can be very reassuring for someone to help take the reins on your first visit to Egypt or even to Luxor.

Room Tip: Check the other reviews and read between the lines - eg if you want a room without bugs, the upper f...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo
Ashraf E, Manager at Desert Paradise Lodge, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
Thank you for your choice of Desert Paradise Lodge to recent stay in Luxor.

Can you provide a comment on our facility on TripAdvisor? Often our guests tell us to what extent they read comments from previous guests have useful to them before they book their visit to us. We always crave to know what you like and how we can get better.

Thank you again and we hope that is your choice on Desert Paradise Lodge in next time you visit the Luxor.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
Richmond, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 30, 2012

I am going to cheat a little here and simply agree 100%, yes 100% with everything Halo44 has written about this wonderful gem of a find on the West Bank. Every element of that review fits my experience. Though I did not have the same guide, mine is called Said, he was also excellent.

I came to Egypt for the first time not as the usual sightseeing, beach, cruise tourist but to finally fulfill a life long yearning to visit the country of ancient Egypt that has fascinated me since as a 12 year old I purchased the penguin book on Tutankhamen by C. Desroches-Noblecourt. The stories, the history, the monuments, the images, the aesthetic, the grandeur and mysticism of that civilization has fascinated me all my life.

So as you can imagine this trip for me was more than a holiday it was loaded with expectation and a degree of childhood emotion.

As I planned this 7day trip with a view to immersing myself in as much of the ancient past as possible I had to find a base that was close to the areas I wanted to visit. On my tight budget where to stay? I checked out all the Luxor hotels, some West Bank hotels and as an avid trip advisor reader I stumbled upon the Desert Paradise Lodge (DPL). Its reviews were incredible. Could it really be that good? Well it was far, far better than I had dared to expect. When I travel I like my money to go to the local community as much as possible. I am no fan of the big impersonal hotels so DPL certainly ticked the invest in the local economy box. The email booking with Fareda was uncomplicated. I would be met at the airport by Hamade in the air conditioned minibus. So it was and I arrived in the 40C heat and was taken the 40min ride to DPL where I was made very welcome by both Ashraf and Fareda. At the end of my first day and as a direct result of experiencing the DPL I decided to extend my stay from 7 to 14 nights.

In my first evening there I mentioned that I wanted to do a Ballon trip. Within an hour it had been arranged for the next day. It was a great flight over all the key areas: Valley of the Kings, Queens, Habu, Hatshepsut etc. The best possible introduction to the area and start to this trip.

This very quickly proved to be the perfect base for all my trips. Initially with a guide as an introduction and then I revisited the sites alone in my second week to explore at my own pace. The DPL arranged all my trips as well a taking me to the ferry area to go across to Luxor. The staff and service were attentive and excellent throughout my stay. My meals were mainly at the DPL and were a good balance of carbs, meat, fish and salads great fuel for the next day. In my room I also had room Nr 1, the bed was made every day, cotton sheets, fresh towels, it was clean, airconditioned which I struggled to get used to and had a relaxing atmosphere. Just perfect for the pm snooz I needed after the early start and 7 hours on site. Early starts to beat the heat were not an issue. I like to walk the local peaks so a light snack at 5am before I set off was not a problem. On my last days DPL arranged to take me to the start of the walk up to the peak overlooking the Valley of the Kings via Hatshepsut at 6am. Nothing was too much trouble. Even on the last day when I got a stomach bug Fareda helped me with local medication which dealt with it immediately.

This was my little trip of a lifetime realizing a childhood dream and the DPL along with a wonderful swiss couple who eased me into the Egyptian culture helped make it simply perfect.

Finally Egypt is going through the birth pangs of democracy at the moment and I left on the day the first round of presidential elections took place. I was alone on this trip and with my hat etc looked typically european but In all my time in both Luxor walking alone and on the West Bank I always felt safe and never experienced any problems.

I will be going back to the Desert Paradise Lodge and Luxor hopefully again later this year.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 7, 2012

We have travelled a lot but we had never been to Egypt before and we almost booked a big hotel for our 3 nights in Luxor and then I found Desert Paradise on Trip Advisor....and we were so glad we stayed here. It is a hundred times better than staying in an impersonal, bland chain owned hotel room. Our room (room 1) was beautiful. The driver from the hotel, Hamada, met us at the airport and pointed out landmarks to us as he drove us to Desert Paradise. Based on the West bank of Luxor, Desert Paradise Lodge felt much more authentic and more peaceful than the east bank which has more tourists and is more crowded. On arrival we met the owner Ashraf who greeted us at the door and even though it was late at night he still offered us food and drinks if we wanted them served in our room. He kindly sent tea to our room at our request. The room was lovely. Designed in the Nubean style with dome ceilings, lying in bed or sitting in our lounge we could look up in to a beautiful dome of warm coloured brick. A really stunning feature and one that felt authentic. The walls were painted white and doors and window shutters were natural wood. The bed was comfortable with white sheets and pillows. The bathroom was immaculate with a good shower, hot water and large towels. We had a dressing table and mirror and a separate lounge plus another separate area with wardrobes and a fridge. We also had our own balcony which overlooked the lovely gardens. Everything was immaculately clean and really well designed. Breakfast was served in the garden where a covered area to the side features long natural wooden tables and benches with more tables in the open. We had omelettes served in hot griddle pans, yoghurt, fresh juice, tea, bread etc...and we chose the time we wanted to eat. Ashraf (Egyptian)and his business partner Fareda (Swiss) were really friendly and helpful. Ashraf arranged a driver and guide for us to visit the main sites of Luxor over a 2 day period. It was incredibly good value for money and Mohammed our guide spoke excellent English and really knows his history. We don't often use guides but in this instance it was the best thing we did as Mohammed really brought the history and mystery of Luxor to life for us and made it exciting. We absolutely loved our 2 days with him visiting Karnak, Luxor Temple, Habu Temple, Valley Of The Kings and much more and we wish we could have spent another day with him. It was genuinely fantastic and he's easily one of the best guides we have ever spent any time with. We ate lunch in town on one day but we took evening meals and our other lunch at Desert Paradise Lodge because it fitted in better with what we were doing. The food was fantastic with plenty of fresh vegetables, fish, salad etc...and beer or wine if you want to order it. Sitting in the garden in the evening eating dinner was also so much nicer than sitting in a big restaurant. Fareda cares for lots of animals that she has rescued locally and some of the income from Desert Paradise is donated to the welfare of sick and rescued animals. We would love to go back to Desert Paradise Lodge one day and I have already recommended it to many of my friends and family. This is a far more beautiful and spacious place to stay than a boring hotel and you will be made very welcome in gorgeous and peaceful surroundings. We saw a lot in Luxor in 2 days because we followed the advice of Ashraf and booked his driver and guide. Without this invaluable service we would have wasted time and money and not seen as much as we would have wanted to. Our only regret is that we only had 2 full days; if you have the time it is definitely worth spending at least 3 full days in Luxor before heading towards your next destination in Egypt. I wish we could have spent a week at Desert Paradise Lodge! They are planning to open a private flat within the grounds very soon for people to rent on a longer term basis fully equipped with its own kitchen etc.

Room Tip: Room 1 is spacious and quiet with lovely views over the garden
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple

Castricum, The Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Based on the many very good reviews in Tripadvisor, I choose the Desert Paradise Lodge to celebrate a special birthday of my wife. I was definitely not disappointed! All that has been written in previous reviews is true. This place is a heaven of peace and service is very personal.
The owner Ashraf is a perfect and reliable host. Every day he will sit with you to discuss plans for the day and give you good advice. Reservations and email are taken care of by the neighbour Fareda, a Swiss lady who loves animals. She will answer all your questions. Prices are very reasonable.
The lodge is situated at the west bank in a quiet place. Transportation is wonderfully arranged, because the lodge has its own driver Mohammed who will pick you up at the airport and will drive you to the various sights in a new comfortable minibus.
We stayed in room # 1 which has a little balcony overlooking the pretty garden, a perfect place to read a book. Every room (there are 9 rooms in total) has a separate sitting and bedroom, a clean bathroom with hot water and a walk-in closet with a fridge. But room #1, one floor up, is special with two lovely domes having little windows in it, a very nice sight when you awake in the morning. The room was kept clean and bed linen and towels were changed daily.
In the morning we enjoyed a tasteful breakfast with a sizzling hot omelette in the garden served by friendly Abdul and Ahmed. Since we decided to go out for excursions during half the day and relax the other half, we usually had lunch and always had dinner at the lodge. Unfortunately, it was still too cold to use the swimming pool, but there are many places in the garden and on the roof terraces where you can enjoy the sun or sit in the shade. Dinner is in Egyptian style and truly delicious!
Because of the revolution there are less tourists than usual. However, I can assure you that there is no danger whatsoever in Luxor. There were moments that we had the famous monuments of the necropolis at the west bank all for ourselves! There is so much to see that you will need weeks to explore each temple and tomb. Do not miss the excursion to Dendera to visit the best preserved temple of Egypt dedicated to Hathor. The countryside of the Nile valley is very beautiful and the traditional way of living of the farmers is like going back in time.
This was my third visit to Luxor (and my fifth to Egypt) but we will be back some day. And for sure, we will stay in the Desert Paradise Lodge where you are treated like a special guest.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Luxor, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2012

I spent some time at Desert Paradise Lodge earlier this year, and recommend it to anyone who would like some peace and quiet away from the mayhem that is the East Bank. The setting is beautiful, the rooms are lovely, and Ashraf and Ferida could not be more helpful or welcoming.

Room Tip: Rooms one and two (the suites) have the best views, but all rooms are quiet and lovely.
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2012

Ashraf, Fareda, and the entire staff made us feel we were truly in paradise during our three-night stay in early January 2012.

From the moment we walked up to the lodge, Ashraf greeted us at the door, confirmed we wanted lunch and gave us options for dinner: chicken, fish, etc. He quickly showed us to our suite and explained that he wanted us to relax and not worry about a thing, there would be plenty of time to explore the lodge and Luxor, he promised. This ended up being a ritual for the remainder of our stay – Ashraf greeting us at the door, emphasizing the importance of happiness and relaxation and taking care of all our meals for us, while also arranging well-priced tours of his beloved hometown and taking care of any extraneous requests. For example, when I asked to go to a bazaar for shopping, he took us to his alabaster factory, set up sheesha for my husband, and gave us an excellent deal on his goods – don’t miss this opportunity to buy some hand-made alabaster goods!

While Luxor is a true treasure chest of Egyptian antiquities, Ashraf’s easy planning made everything feel so relaxed, even though we saw three sites a day! In Ashraf’s hands, we knew we were getting the best of Luxor. A full day tour cost us EGP 350 for two people total plus the cost of admissions to the sites. Given the prices we saw elsewhere through our research, it was certainly a good deal! The price includes your personal car, driver, and your tour guide – Ashraf doesn’t believe in grouping his guests together which worked out really well for us because we were so happy to have one-on-one conversations with our tour guide about everything from Egypt’s history to its current political climate. Ask for Mohammed, an extremely knowledgeable Egyptologist whose passion for his country’s history is obvious in his heartfelt discussions. Extremely soft-spoken, he was a refreshing change to “quack” tour guides who often make things up as they go.

The lodge is beautiful and serene, with a grand view of the mountains, especially from the upper balcony which is open to all guests at all times – this is also the perfect spot to sip some tea and watch the sun set. The courtyard is charming, with grass and trees, lined with a variety of stone statues. The free-of-charge teas and sheesha Ashraf tags on makes you feel you are at home! His entire staff is there to make you as comfortable, happy, and relaxed as possible and they do a fabulous job! Ashraf upgraded us to the honeymoon suite free-of-charge and it was such a treat! The bed was huge and very comfortable, and the extra living area was great for storing our things and taking tea in our private balcony overlooking the courtyard was wonderful. And everything was tip top clean. They made the rooms every morning, including on our check-out day even though we did not pay for that day, not even half board!

The food was excellent! Our favorite breakfast of our Egypt trip! It consisted of buttery, fried egg – so so yummy! Milk, to die for. It was so good!!! And an assortment of many other things: homemade bread, jam, package cheese, yogurt, juice boxes, breakfast cake, and tea/coffee. The lunch was so simple, yet so fresh and delicious – an assortment of fresh vegetables, fried breaded eggplant, French fries, and a different soup each day along with homemade bread! The dinners were elaborate and made at your request each night – whatever meat you are in the mood for, Ashraf will make it for you! Along with the main, there was one prepared starch daily such as rice or pasta as well as bread and soup. And of course, the highlight of all our moments there, the teas and sheesha that followed every dinner!
Other costs: EGP 120 each way for the car transfer to the lodge, EGP 50pp for lunch, EGP 100pp for dinner, beers and wine are not included with the price of your meal. Laundry is available for EGP 1-2 per piece. Our load came back a couple of days later and still damp. It’s certainly great that he makes that service available, but allow yourself plenty of time!

The lodge is fabulous, but Ashraf and his staff make it a truly memorable experience. Go there to be taken care of by experts!

We love you Brother Ashraf and wish you and your staff much success in the coming years and cannot wait until we can return to your paradise home one day soon! With all our love and best wishes, Sumaya & Frank.

Room Tip: Ask for the honeymoon suite!!!
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 13, 2012

The owner, Ashraf, repeated this phrase many times! He is a very gracious and helpful host who did his best to make us happy. Desert Paradise Lodge is situated in a town called El Qurna, outside of the main city of Luxor. If you arriving by plane, they will have their driver meet you at the airport for no charge (just a tip). The ride from the Luxor airport is roughly 30-45 minutes. Note that because of where Desert Paradise Lodge is situated, many taxis, drivers and even tour companies will charge you a "service charge" for the supposed extra distance.

When we arrived, we were immediately shown to our room by Ashraf himself. We were in room #7, which is on the ground floor. The room consists of a bathroom, bedroom and sitting room. The bathroom is very small, but with all the basics: sink, toilet, shower and is very clean. One thing to note: do not flush anything (toilet paper, etc.) down the toilet. The water gets very warm and the water pressure is great. There are no amenities in the bathroom aside from a bar of soap and toilet paper, so make sure to bring whatever you feel you will need. The bedroom consists of two beds, which, even though my husband tried to push together to make one bed, did not quite line up, so we pushed them back to their original spots. The beds were very comfortable, however. The room doesn't have a television or telephone, so you definitely want to bring your own entertainment because if you don't have activities/tours lined up, it could get very quiet. The sitting room consisted of a desk w/chair, vanity, chaise-lounge type thing and a rather large refrigerator. Bottled water is also included in the room. The sitting room has a window that opens up to the garden area, but aside from that window, there are no other windows in the room, so you will not get much natural light in the room. We were there during a particularly chilly time, but the heat in the room worked very well. Looks like there were maybe 12 rooms at the lodge, so it's very small and quiet. The whole place is very clean. A few brown ants crept into the room, but I'll take ants over roaches or any other crawlies any day! (And I really mean a few--maybe three ants our entire stay--hardly a nuisance.)

The lodge grounds were very well-kept and there are lots of areas to kind of chill out and relax. The garden area is where breakfast (included in the room cost) is served and there's a couple of couches with a tv. Not sure what types of channels there are, but we saw Ashraf watching tv and whatever he was watching was in Arabic. There is also a room off the garden with a computer in it, but we never ventured in there, so we're unable to comment on whether there is internet available to guests. Note that there is no WiFi, though. As the pictures indicate, there's a pool w/an outdoor shower with some cushioned lounge chairs and lots of shaded and unshaded areas to relax on the several terraces (also many outdoor electrical outlets). On the very top level, there's an indoor lounge with carpet, couches and other seating. It was too cold during our stay to even think about getting into the pool, but I'm sure it's a God-send when the weather is hot.

They can provide all meals at the lodge and we took all of our meals there. Breakfast consists of a fried egg, bread, cake slices, instant coffee, juice and water, which is the standard menu. As breakfast is eaten outside in the garden, be sure to bring a light coat during the "winter" because it can get very cool before the sun has a chance to come out and heat things up a little. Lunch is also a standard menu of tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers, (goat?) cheese, fried aubergines, french fries, soup and bread. Such a simple menu, but very delicious and filling. For dinner, Ashraf (or Fareda) will ask what you want to eat. For example, one morning at breakfast, Fareda asked "do you want chicken, fish, beef, vegetarian..." They'll also arrange your meals according to your schedule, so each morning they'll ask when you want to eat lunch/dinner depending on your tours, etc. Lunch was 100 Egyptian pounds total for two of us. Dinner consists of soup, bread, rice, salad (ie. tomatoes) and some type of meat (if not vegetarian) and a side dish. Very, very delicious. It didn't appear that there were any places to eat within walking distance so unless you're going to eat in Luxor city, you can get your fill right on the premises. Dinner was 150 Egyptian pounds total for two of us. The dining room is indoors and has some books and magazines in a variety of languages that are available for you to read. If you want to lighten your load, you can also leave any books or magazines you're finished with for the next guests.

The service was very good. Ashraf literally said to us numerous times "smile...I just want you to be happy" because he really did! He was very attentive. Actually, I don't know if it's because we are younger-looking, but he almost felt like our father...asking to see what we purchased in town and asking how much we paid for things to make sure we paid a fair price. Don't be put off by the huge picture of him at the front desk--he's really a very humble man. The other men he has working are also very friendly and hard-working and took care of setting up for and cleaning up after meals. I think they may have even been responsible for cooking the meals. Whoever cooked did a great job! During our email correspondence with Fareda, we were told we could only pay in cash (Egyptian pounds) but when it was time to settle the bill, we were able to pay with our Visa card, so double check the payment options when you go.

This is a basic lodge, but the small touches don't make it feel so basic afterall. I definitely recommend Desert Paradise Lodge to anyone looking for a homey feel with very attentive service.

Room Tip: All of the rooms appeared to be of equal value/comfort, but there are two or three rooms on a higher...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Desert Paradise Lodge? Share your experiences!