“The Egypt you won't find in a guidebook” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Beit Sabee Hotel

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Luxor
Beit Sabee Hotel
West Bank | (Near Medinet Habou Temple), Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #9 of 28 Luxor B&B and Inns
San Francisco, California
“The Egypt you won't find in a guidebook”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Like many others, I stayed here before and after my unforgettable cruise - the hotel is run by the same folks as those who do the Nour El Nil cruises. The hotel is exceptionally clean, well-run, and stress-free. The best way I can summarize this is that it feels like home instantly. Here are the highlights:

-- The location --
On the less hectic West Bank, right beside Medinet Habu temple, Valley of the Kings, and other classic Luxor sights. Super convenient getting around. The staff will happily organize a car and guide for you at a great value so it's worry free.

-- The staff --
I really enjoy talking to local people when I travel and the staff here are an incredible way to do that during your stay. Everyone was was kind, respectful, and attentive -- and had great senses of humor to boot. And I learned so much from talking to them that it only served to enhance my experience in Egypt. Need local recommendations? Eleanor and Memdhu, the owners, will tell you everything you need to know.

-- The food --
The food. Oh god the food. First off, you only need to think about what allergies or food items you don't eat. The rest will be taken care of by the staff and prepare for a treat. Everything is local, fresh, and unbelievably flavorful. I have since tried to create some of these dishes at home because the food was remembered so fondly. It's hard.

I was completely blown away by my experience. In combination with the cruise, this easily ranks among the best trips I have ever taken in my life and I travel a lot. The best way I can put it is this way: you the comforts of feeling like home in this guest house (and on the boat) -- everything is taken care of for you (where to go, what to do, how to get there/logistics), but you get to do things that you wouldn't find in a guide book. Having local advice that's trustworthy, friendly, and affordable makes this a choice I'll look forward to revisiting again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

47 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

Stayed here in March before and after an amazing week on a dahabiya run by the same people.

The hotel is charming and authentic. I felt spoiled by the way the staff treated us, attending to every little thing to make sure we were comfortable. And the food! My mouth still waters when I think about the incredible food. The freshest ingredients, seasoned and brought together in simple but very satisfying ways. Eating on the rooftop terrace, looking out over the nearby mountain, seeing the local towns, it was an experience that felt undeniably "Egypt"

My stay here and on the dahabiya were truly wonderful experiences that I will remember for the rest of my life. I highly recommend this, no better way to experience Egypt!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
London, UK
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 19, 2013

This is a lovely hotel run by the people from Nour el Nil and after a fantastic dahabiya ride with them, I wanted to see if their hotel was as good - and it is. Its far away from the crowds on the East Bank right beside Medinah Habu Temple, so you can nip in there in the morning before anyone else gets there. Its a traditional mud brick building with some stylish design twists and decoration. The rooms are colourful and comfortable, ours had a serious power shower, but the highlight is the view from the roof terrace. You have breakfast overlooking the mountains and the Temple and the sun rises alongside bird song and donkey shouts and its all very lovely. Very nice and helpful staff too and delicious food. I'll definitely stay here again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Berlin, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 10, 2013

we stayed here mid feb 2013 & enjoyed it very much!
the rooms are big, stylish (I´d call it vintage), cosy (!), clean. Good food. Great 5th level roof top terasse- views: valley of queens, Habu Temple, rising hot air balloons at breakfast. After staying at "Winterpalace" and "Old Cateract" we did really enjoy the communicative atmosphere by the owners as well as by the other guests.

Beit Sabee is located in a charming little village so there are dogs and taxi noises for the ones who want complete silence.. there was no construction noise though as mentioned by others!?

The best place we stayed on our 4 weeks journey was indeed spending 4 nights on the Beit Sabee owned Dahabeya Meroe - so if you hv any extra money to spare - that would be our advice - unforgettable!!!

PS: we experienced no safety problems throughout our journey, also not in cairo!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Kings Creek, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 28, 2013

Our Tour Guide recommended this Hotel and we were certainly not disappointed.
We stayed here for 2 nights in February and thoroughly enjoyed our stay.
The room was large and spacious with a separate bathroom. The shower although not enclosed did not present a problem and the water pressure was beautiful.
The staff were fantastic - nothing was a problem.
Laundry was available - same day service and well done.
We actually ate in both nights (a rarity for us) because we enjoyed the food so much - divine. You are asked what you would like for dinner and what time would suite your plans - very helpful.
I also really enjoyed the red wine - quite a surprise.
Breakfast is available either down stairs in the dining room or on the rooftop. The rooftop is just beautiful the view and tranquillity are so special.
We enjoyed talking with other travellers and hearing their experiences.
I like this hotel best because of its Egyptian feel and the peaceful atmosphere...I can stay in Western hotels anywhere anytime - this was special and I hope to return.

Room Tip: There is no lift so if stairs are a problem for you - you may want to mention that in your booking...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bristol, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

We stayed there for a few nights while visiting Luxor in January 2013 and it made for a peaceful and beautiful contrast with the relative hustle and bustle of downtown Luxor. We dont recognise the review, prices, bed etc of one of the earlier reviews so either we got a better and cheaper room or they have improved things very significantly! The food was very good and the views over the desert and the ancient Temple of Medina Habu were stunning. It is in a great location for the sights on the West Bank but you do need a taxi for downtown Luxor which costs between £7 & £10 British pounds (70- 100 Egyptian) depending on your negotiation skills. This cost can be reduced, if you choose, by taking a combination of car and ferry across the Nile and probably takes less time as it is more direct!
Like all of Egypt everything was very quiet on the tourism front, especially after the media pictures of the Tahrir Square pre referendum protests in Cairo. I imagine the next couple of years will be a great time to visit as tourism will take time to pick up again. The ancient sites are truly amazing, the Nile is very beautiful, especially if you can cruise on it in a dahabiya, the people are very welcoming and you are probably significantly less likely to encounter violence than in your home town! The media pictures bear no relation to the current realities of Egypt and we dicovered that the food was better and safer than we expected provided you choose well and take care - so an upset stomach is not an inevitability!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Gatineau
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

A building is under construction right across the street from the hotel. It makes for a very noisy environment. You will hear hammering all day until sunset, and workers yelling to each other. Not relaxing at all when you want to rest after a busy day of sightseeing. Also dogs bark all night and motorcycles run early in the morning. We left after just one night.

We also thought the hotel was certainly not worth the 60 to 80 euros per night they are asking for. Yes, the rooms are nicely decorated and bright, but many other important features are neglected. The beds are futon style and very hard, with an incomfortable hump in the middle, which often happens when futons get older. The walls have ventilation holes opening to the outside without screens: welcome mosquitoes! The shower has no walls, splashing all over the bathroom. There is hardly enough hot water for one shower. No curtain in the shower window, which faces the construction site (and workers...)... guess you have to wait until they are gone to take a shower!

The terrasse has a wonderful view to the mountains, and they serve great food, but no cushions for the ottoman (are we expected to sit directly on the rattan frame?) The courtyard downstairs also had tired cushions and stained table tops; the high walls that surround it make it feel somewhat miserable.

Another aspect to consider is that this hotel is remote from everything. To go anywhere you will need a taxi.

For all these reasons I don't recommand it at all. We moved to El Nakhil instead, which was very quiet and comfortable, and walking distance to the Nile, the ferry, restaurant, and lively village atmosphere.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Beit Sabee Hotel? Share your experiences!