“Make life easy in Luxor” 5 of 5 stars

Flats in Luxor
Al Gezera Village | West Bank, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #1 of 35 Specialty Lodging in Luxor
Londo
“Make life easy in Luxor”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

Lovely big airy apartment with views of the Valley of the Kings. Easy living on the West Bank- after Day 1 no hassle and only friendliness from the locals. Great location for everything. Jane most helpful in assisting reservations on the sleeper to Cairo, day trips to Abydos, last minute beers. Do not be put off by security warnings, Egypt is a fabulous safe country which needs tourists.

Room Tip: Wonderful views all rooms
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
FlatsinLuxor, Owner at Flats in Luxor, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Thank you for your review, so glad you felt safe and enjoyed yourself. See you next time.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
  • Greek first
Newbury, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Cannot recommend these flats highly enough. I stayed in a beautiful apartment overlooking Hatsu.. Temple. Jane and her family make you feel very welcome and cannot do enough to ensure your stay is a good, fun, and safe trip - and to make sure you see as much as you want to in a given time :)
Whenever the flight costs go down, I will definitely be back!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
FlatsinLuxor, Owner at Flats in Luxor, responded to this review, February 15, 2013
Thank you for review. It would be great if you could come again, there is more to see. Well not a lot more, you did Egypt very thoroughly but it would be good to see you again. .
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2012

I stayed in a flat in the Al Gezera complex with my mother in November. We were met promptly by an efficient taxi driver at the airport (Ahmed), who also provided us with friendly and punctual service on a number of occasions throughout our trip.
The owner of the flats, Jane, was at the flats to welcome us and settle us in. She provided excellent information and support throughout our week's stay. Through her, we were able to organise lots of fun trips - stuff that was outside of the normal tourist experience. We took a wonderful guided walk in the mountains to the Valley of the Colours and other isolated spots - I would highly recommend the guide, Mohammed Ismail. It was great to be staying so close to many of the most fascinating sights in Luxor. Through Jane and her husband Mahmoud's contacts, my mother also was able to help out teaching English in the local new village library. We followed advice about places to shop and enjoyed visiting a great papyrus shop and also a craft shop, both with fixed prices.
Jane and Mahmoud are very well known in the area, and when my mother and I were experiencing any hard sell from local taxi drivers or tour operators, simply mentioning we were staying with them, meant we were politely left alone. Prices for the flat, meals, trips and taxi journeys were reasonable for the service provided.
We used the excellent inhouse chef for most of our evening meals,eating most of these on the roof top terrace. These were all delicious and thoughtful of my pescetarian diet. We used the local bakery almost daily. The owners were very nice, even making wheat free rye bread for my mother on request.
One of the best things about staying in the flats was the attentive member of staff Mohammed. We asked him to buy water, fruit and help us with lots of different things. He was always professional and happy to help.
The flat was spacious, airy and with beautiful views over the banana fields to the mountains and tombs. The mountain is lit up at night and is stunning from the balcony and roof top terrace. The flat had air conditioning and ceiling fans, but we did not need to use these as the nights were nice and cool in November. We used the pool on one day, and it was clean. There were tasty fresh oranges growing on a tree by the pool which the security guard/doorman offered to us. There were a few minor maintenance issues in the flat, which will hopefully be resolved, as we pointed these out at the end of our trip (a couple of loose door handles). The flat was clean and tidy. It would be nice to have mattress covers for the beds, although the linens and mattress were clean. Washing up liquid, cloths and hand soap would also have been useful.
The Al Gezera flats are fairly close to a busy road. Expect road noise, but I got used to this reasonably quickly. When visiting the village library,

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
FlatsinLuxor, Owner at Flats in Luxor, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. It was so special to arrange all those things for you. Especially photographs in Tutankhamen's tomb. That was amazing to be there that one day it was allowed. Thanks for the good ideas as well. A quieter location can be found at our flats at Goubli, also with a pool and restaurant, next time you come you should try there.
Surat, India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 3, 2012

HOME AWAY FROM HOME. Economical and very relaxing. After facing too many pushy people in Cairo & Aswan, we could find a place to go by our own way. At first, location seems to be quite far from the town but it is not. The apartment is at west bank side and that's why close to many monuments / sights and far from city (east bank). We took ferry boat 2 times to go to East bank and it was also very easy, cheap & fast.
Beautiful big apartment / flat with basic facilities. Balcony has very beautiful ambiance of countryside. You see all around green plantation of banana. After a nice sunset view, Temple of Hatshepsut looks great at night time from balcony. Even early morning you can see many hot-air balloons flying nearby.
We prepared many vegetarian dishes independently in our three days of stay there. The staff is very helpful and took me to a reasonable grocery and vegetable store nearby. We could save big cost and got a chance to have food of our choice. Everyone assisting Jane (owner) is very helpful and friendly, just like her.
Things should be improved are:
1 Availability for communication
2 Provision of elevator (if possible)
3 Facilities like washing machine, dish washer, clothing iron etc
4 Offered prices for tours (25-30% higher than open market)

Room Tip: All Flats have very nice view from front side. Upper floors may make you workout because of using st...
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thank you very much for your kind review. I am so sorry I was not there when you arrived 2 hours earlier than your scheduled time but very glad my staff Mohammed and Ahmed took such good care of you.

I wish you had asked me why the price of my balloon trips was higher than those you eventually booked with. I think it is important to choose an operator on a dangerous activity not on price but on safety record and insurance cover. The balloon companies in Luxor were inspected by a UK pilot and rather than choosing one that passed I choose one that got ‘excellent’. A few years ago there was an accident and a number of tourist were hospitalised. Those that had private insurance cover were medi-evacuated back to their home country. Those that relied on the operators insurance had to stay in a local hospital and their reports of their treatment was not complimentary. So I prefer to choose an operator who has good insurance cover and an excellent safety record. Those companies are more expensive but it is worth having that peace of mind in my opinion. I hope now you understand why I recommend a more expensive company.

Regards Jane
Riyadh, Ar Riyad, Saudi Arabia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

Our family of 7 (2 adults, 5 children) recently stayed in Luxor for three days. The apartments are clean and spacious, but basic. The balcony was lovely and the view of the banana plantation was delightful. The pool was refreshing, but could have been a bit cleaner. The staff was helpful. Jane is a dream to work with. She promptly responded to my queries, helped me arrange tours and transportation. We only had to ask and someone was there to help us. We ordered a couple of meals from the chef and enjoyed the food greatly. Jane made sure my youngest son had a memorable birthday celebration by ordering him a cake and the staff joined us in the celebration.

I liked the location as the area is quiet and feels a little more real. The staff was always ready to give suggestions for restaurants, tours, etc.

I think the flats are an excellent choice for the budget-conscious traveler. If you plan to cook your own meals, it might be best to arrange with the staff before-hand to procure things as it can be a little overwhelming to purchase groceries at some of the stores. It is definitely an experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
FlatsinLuxor, Owner at Flats in Luxor, responded to this review, December 1, 2012
Thank you so much for your review. It was lovely to meet you and your delightful family and I was so glad you all enjoyed yourselves, especially the birthday boy. I hope we see you again really soon and I will tell the staff your comments.
Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 29, 2012

The apartment - basic but spacious and clean, choice for daily housekeeping (extra charge) not necessary for a week but for longer probably recommended, bins emptied every day. The kitchen has a sink, oven and fridge plus a few pots and utensils, we didn't want to cook so no problem. Bathrooms have shower, bath and hot water. Bedrooms aircon and fan - fabulous, open onto balcony which was huge and with excellent views over the west bank countryside. The roof had a large seating area, we had some meals up the top, very relaxing. The pool could have been a bit cleaner but super for swimming lengths, poolside furniture probably past its best. Lunch by the poolside excellent.
Staff very friendly and helpful but not intrusive. We ate breakfast, lunch and some evening meals at the flat and everything was gorgeous and delicious, staff very happy to prepare whatever we wanted, always lots of choice and very fresh.
We organised our week through Jane, she provided a super schedule which gave us a terrific experience. Our guide was amazing, perfect English and very well informed, a kind and friendly man. Our driver was always available and willing to take us any where we wanted to go, he also accompanied us around the local souk and on an evening boat trip, he was great.
Luxor is a super place and well worth a visit, we will definitely be going again.

Room Tip: All good, go for it!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
FlatsinLuxor, Owner at Flats in Luxor, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
Thank you so much for your detailed review. I am so happy you were able to see so much and enjoy Luxor. I am glad my staff and guide gave you such a good time. Point taken about the pool furniture, hopefully the forth coming season is busy with lots of tourists and we can refurbish the furniture.
Manchester, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012

My partner and I are now on countdown until our 4th visit back to flats in Luxor. Cannot wait to go back and relax in lovely surroundings with space, no madding crowds, helpful people and friendly faces. Cannot help but going back due to the lovely holidays we have had there with family and friends. See you soon JAne and gang.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
It was wonderful to see you again and I can not believe how brown you got. I hope we see you again next year with the rest of the family.

Been to Flats in Luxor? Share your experiences!