“A unique experience” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Mara House

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Luxor
Mara House
You added Mara House to your Saves list
Salah Al Din Al Ayoubi | Luxor, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #5 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
Bath, United Kingdom
“A unique experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 27, 2013

It was through tripadvisor that I found out about Mara House when I was looking for accommodation in Luxor for the final part of a family holiday that took us from Jordan to Egypt.

My wife and our two kids stayed 3 days in Luxor and Mara House was the perfect place to base ourselves. Mara was excellent in helping with our arrangements, including excursions, before we set off on holiday. She provided a level of support you simply won't get from the usual hotel chains. The hotel itself is full of character and the rooms are lovely. It is very much 'off the beaten track' and those of you more used to Hiltons and Marriotts (I include myself here!) will find this a very different kind of experience. Mara House is in a regular Luxor neighbourhood nowhere near the tourist spots (although you can easily walk downtown).

The highlight for us were:

1. Great help in organising tours, which will include guides who take you a bit more off the beaten track and show you aspects of ancient Egypt that the river cruise brigades won't see.

2. If rooms are free, Mara will be happy to check you in early (our flight got in at 0830) and let you check out late (our room was needed by another family but Mara provided a different one in which we could shower and freshen up before our flight home).

3. The experience itself. Yes, you're still a tourist, but you will see a side of Egypt that is both friendly and fascinating.

If you are looking for a place to stay in Luxor I wholeheartly recommend Mara House.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (23)
South West London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

We - me, my husband and our fifteen-year-old son - just got back from a fantastic week at Mara House. Full disclosure first: this is not a 5-star luxe hotel with a view of the Nile. If you want that, don't come here. If, however, you want to experience a little of what living in Luxor might actually be like, email Mara right now. She'll answer all your questions quickly and carefully and once you arrive make sure you have a hassle-free trip - no mean feat in a city where hassle is a given. We were met at the airport and shown our comfortable and spacious triple suite (three bedrooms, sitting room, bathroom, kitchenette) and felt immediately at home. The house is on a residential street the 'wrong' side of the railway tracks, but a swift 15-minute caleche ride or 20-30 minute walk to Luxor Temple. Mara organizes tours of all the main sites and we had pre-booked three of them. Our guide Mohammed escorted us to Luxor and Karnak Temples, to Dendera and Abydos and to the West Bank, taking in the Valley of the Kings, the Tombs of the Noble and of the Workers and the Medinet Habu. They were long days, but good ones. We learned a vast amount and it was all smooth and straightforward. We were met at the hotel, taken to good restaurants for lunch and returned to the Mara House at the end, where we could relax and absorb all that we had seen, whether in the cool of our room or on the roof terrace. Going out in the evening was a breeze, too. Mara's team (Zahry and Amr, who doubles up as chef at Mara's restaurant, Salahadeen) call one of the caleche drivers they use (we were lucky enough to have Ramadan, who was great) to pick you up, take you where you want to go and take you back to the hotel afterwards. This is a huge plus as it means you don't get ripped off and you don't get overly hassled by the dozens of taxi drivers and other caleche drivers looking for business. And you can understand why they might be. Tourist numbers are massively down since the revolution, and Luxor is very, very quiet. But don't let the political situation put you off. Cairo is 300 hundred miles away and Port Said even further. And most of the people you will come across are polite, funny, kind and if you treat them civilly, even when haggling, will do the same to you.

We're so glad we went - and so glad we stayed with Mara. We could have stayed in a posh hotel and spent our week in a protected bubble, but this way we got to see a little bit of the real city and to do it in a very easy and pain-free way.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2013

My friend and I stayed at Mara House for five nights in February 2013. We chose Mara House because of Mara being english- spoken and because of her expertise and vast knowledge of Egypt. Right from the off, when we were emailing Mara back and forth with our ever-changing itinerary, we knew that we were making the right decision to stay with Mara. Mara's prompt replies (always within 24 hours) reassured us that we would always be in good hands. That was so true, from the moment our plane touched down in Egypt. Mara had one of her drivers meet us and take care of our visas before taking us to Mara House. It was lovely to be greeted by Mara at the door of the residence. Right away she made us a very welcome cup of tea and had our luggage taken to our room. We felt straight away that we had been friends with Mara for years! She was so welcoming and her Irish hospitality was second to none. Nothing was too much trouble for Mara. She organised all our tours to Tombs and Temples and even packed a breakfast and/or lunch for us. At very short notice, she helped organise (through her many contacts) a hot air balloon ride over Luxor. Our suite was spotlessly clean. We couldn't fault it in any way. The fridge was well stocked with water, soft drinks, wine, beer, chocolate bars and crisps, all of which were replenished each day. Staying with Mara made our trip so enjoyable and took all the hassle away. She's a remarkable lady! Thank you Mara for making or trip so exciting.

Room Tip: Mara's roof top terrace is a great place to relax after a hard day sightseeing. Loads of room to...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 22, 2013

Our 3 generation extended family spent two nights at Mara House in January and the only problem we had was that we couldn't stay longer! Mara communicated well with us as we were making our arrangements prior to our visit, and everything came together as we hoped. Her staff, namely Amr and Sahry, were exceptionally attentive and helpful. They were always ready with a cup of tea and good advice. All the arrangements they made for us, from the hot air balloon ride to the tours to the calesh ride through Luxor, worked perfectly. Our tour guide, Mohammad, was interesting, patient and knowledgeable. The apartments were spacious, comfortable and clean and the rooftop terrace was lovely and relaxing. All nine of us would highly recommend Mara House.

Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Essex, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

Stayed at Mara House 11-16 Feb 2013. Chosen because we felt we would be happier staying with a woman who spoke English! On arrival at the airport we were met by one of Mara's drivers who took care of our visas etc and guided us through the airport to the waiting car and driver. On arrival at Mara House the lady herself was on the steps to greet us in person. A member of her team took our luggage while another made us a very welcome cup of tea. Within minutes we felt completely at home. Our apartment was spotlessly clean and well appointed. We'd pre-booked some of Mara's trips but late one night we wondered, rather hopelessly, if we could also squeeze in a hot air balloon flight for the following morning. A quick call from Mara to one of her contacts and it was done. Egypt could have been a chaotic and daunting experience, especially when one doesn't speak the language. Mara's expertise and knowledge of Egypt took all the hassle away - leaving us to have an amazing, carefree, wonderful holiday. Thank you so much Mara.

Room Tip: There's a great selection of suites and a newly-opened roof terrace.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 17, 2013

Luxor makes a good base from which to explore pretty much the whole of Upper Egypt - that's from Abydos to Aswan - and more. Mara House became my little home from home from which I ventured out, mainly across the river to the west bank, where I walked, cycled, motorcycled, bused and taxied all over the place visiting temples and my friends in Qurna, the community of people whose villages ring the ancient Theban necropolis on its eastern flank. (visit www.mandoxegypt.wordpress.com for more stories about all that.) One could also ride (horses or camels but that ain't really my thing)

Whereas West Bank and Qurna is a very much more rural, very quiet experience. Mara House is situated in the Inner City right behind the very busy railway station and just 15minutes walk up El Nozri to Luxor temple and the lively area around the souk where little restaurants like Ali Baba offer has nice food (Egyptian or International) and beer plus one of the best views of any restaurant.

So I lodged my entire two weeks at Mara's where they looked after me very well. I was in room 4 - one floor up on last time - very nice quiet room - with a large glass topped dinning table on which i could lay out my books and laptop. Very comfortable there.

I also had the opportunity to go on one of the longer day trips to Abydos in the company of Mara, Mohammed and Amr. There should be links to some film of this on the mandoxegypt site or youtube. Journeying to this famous pilgrimage site has long been one of my ambitions. The journey on this new desert road was fantastic - desert scenery all the way then a gem of a temple - with not one but two guides to show me the special bits. We had a lot of fun and even managed to step briefly onto the Osireion, which was dry.

Several hours there wasn't enough enough and I must go back - if only for more gossip from Mara (but I am a nerd). We then got to Dendara for last two hours - which is best time to see it - more than enough there to keep one busy for the day.

Coming back in rush hour I think on reflection I'd get off at Jazeera on the west back and catch the public ferry over and walk back to Mara's rather than spend an hour via Luxor Bridge which is quite far upstream. Even so its probably a detour one should make at least once - just to see the bridge and uptown or is it downtown Luxor.

Many thanks to Noor, Asdar and Sahry for looking after me so well in the Hotel. Keeping my room looking so fresh and providing such nice breakfasts every morning and tea whenever I needed it. Coming back late I'd often get a call from Sahry just to make sure I was OK - which is nice really - people in Egypt really do go the extra mile ... thank you - hope to see you all on my next expedition.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

Hi I stayed at Mara House for 5 nights in January along with 8 friends. The rooms were huge and beautifully decorated, and they did a great job of organising trips for us during the stay. Above all Mara and the team really made us feel at home and secure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends