“Excellent service with the personal touch.” 5 of 5 stars

Hotel Sheherazade
Gezira El Bairat | West Bank, Luxor, Egypt   |
Ranked #10 of 58 Hotels in Luxor
London, United Kingdom
“Excellent service with the personal touch.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2011

This is primarily a review of the tours organised by the hotel, although I did see the hotel and its rooms, which were beautiful. The place really is lovely to look at and very peaceful.

I organised a 3 day 2 night tour with Christine, the hotel's English manager. The itinerary included a night out in the desert as well as visits to a bedouin camp, an ancient islamic village, an ancient egyptian temple and a couple of oases out in the Sahara desert.

Organisation through Christine was extremely easy. She answered all questions and was very helpful and quick to sort everything out. From the the off everything went smoothly and simply, which was a pleasant change in Egypt! I was collected from the train station by a man with a card and taken straight to the hotel for breakfast. Then it was out onto the open road. The two managers, Mohammed and Christine, came with me. They were extremely friendly and good company as we covered hundreds of kilometres across the desert in no time at all - the roads are surprsingly good!

The trip is to be thoroughly recommended. My particular highlights were: 1) Spending a night right out in the desert all alone under the stars (despite a minor sandstorm!); 2) Enjoying a feast (seriously) at an archaeologists' camp out in the desert next to a ruined ancient egyptian temple complex; 3) Taking a dip in a 'magic' hot thermal spring the morning after a cold night in the desert - on stepping out my body was more relaxed than it had been in years!

It was very well done, and in particular, once it was paid for I could forget all administration and cost. All food, police bribes (not really) (no, really) (not), accomodation and baksheesh were taken care of. This was such a pleasant contrast to the rest of Egypt where you spend so much time on guard against scams and schemes designed to waste your time and part you from your money. You have a chance instead to relax and take the place in for a moment!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Worcester, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2010

This is one of a number of recently opened hotels on the quiet West bank at Luxor. I've now stayed in three, so can offer a comparison.
The rooms in Scheherazade are spacious, but inadequately furnished. We had twin beds and one bedside table, a good sized wardrobe, but no table and chairs. There was room for a desk or table, fridge, television, chair, but these are not yet provided.
The shower room was large, and everything worked.
Bedding was sheet and blankets rather than duvets.
Roof terrace had good views, but no amenities apart from some basic furniture - look out for nails in the chair arms.
The bar and restaurant in the garden were much better, with excellent food and reasonably priced drinks, including beer and wine.
The owner and staff were efficient and helpful, and the service could not be faulted.
Wifi was available at E£10 per night, and worked well.
The nearby Nile Valley hotel and Gezira Gardens hotel probably have better rooms and a higher quality of finish, but Scheherazade is more tranquil with better gardens and service. Even if you do not stay here, do drop in for a meal or drink.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 6, 2010

Overall a decent budget option, with clean rooms and a good location. However, I think you may be better served to check out some of the other options within this price range for the following reasons:

* While the price is low the owner will nickel and dime you. For example although breakfast was "included" we were charged 10 egyptian pounds per packet of nescafe. This is very strange - I travel frequently and had never heard of coffee not being included in the free breakfast. For a small group we ended up drinking nearly $15 worth of coffee in one morning (this is quite expensive in Egypt). It was clear this was simply a way to skim money off of us.

* Beware of overpriced tour packages, especially for boat rides that you could otherwise organize yourself. I recognize that many hotels overcharge for these sorts of services, but this is not what I would expect from a "budget friendly" option. If you are staying here to save money then I would also advise avoiding tours offered by the owner and instead walk outside the hotel and organize with someone on the street. The ferry dock just down the street is a good place to start.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 5, 2010

My overall experience with this hotel is amazing. The good reviews didn't let me down. Aside from the location being convenient ( near ferry dock, supermarket, restaurants ), the hotel room gave me a this egyptian feel. Just how I want to spend my vacation. The rooms are clean and comfortable. Plus everyday is a surprise when housekeeping comes and arranges or towels on the bed with different designs ( one time a scorpion, another day we can't stop laughing they made a man using our pillows and my boyfriend's clothes ). The staff are so friendly and helpful and the owner you'd see everyday by the garden, checking on all te guests. We really had fun in our stay in this hotel. West bank is quiet and secluded as compared to east bank and I thought this was gonna be a problem but everything us convenient, plus most attractions are in west bank anyway. I love this hotel and will definitely recommend it to my friends.

• Stayed December 2010
sl6 2rp
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2010

Having visited the Hotel Sheherazade in October 2010 I feel impelled to write my first Trip Advisir review. Although I read all the Trip Advisir reviews avidly, I have not felt the need to join in and post a review. Until now...

My friend and I had a long held dream to visit Luxor, and having checked all the reviews, decided to choose the Hotel Sheherazade. I am so glad we did. I started emailing the hotel manager (the delightful oracle called Christine) and over the course of 5 months I'm sure I must have driven her round the twist with my never ending questions, requests, and problems (our flight provider ceased trading 6 weeks before we were due to fly). Throughout it all she remained friendly, helpful, and always courteous, with answers to all my questions, and extra pearls of wisdom provided free of charge.

The hotel was a delight - an oasis of calm, with beautiful architecture and the real gem - a tranquil, peaceful garden - such a delight to return to after the noise and bustle of the temples and tombs. The bedroom was clean, air conditioned, and had a most impressive domed ceiling. And the staff were a joy. Nothing was too much trouble - from a genuine pleasure to see you each day and enquire where you had been, what you had seen, and whether you had enjoyed your day, to the fabulous food - freshly grilled fish, chicken, kebab and moussaka, to name but a few. The chef certainly dispelled any worries I had about eating in Egypt. And I mustn't forget to mention the very imaginative towel sculptures!

The location is great, away from the busy East Bank, but close enough to be able to pop on and off the ferry or river taxis to Karnak and Luxor, and the Luxor and mummification museums.

We booked an all exclusive package through Christine, which I would recommend to anyone. We had exclusive use of a taxi to explore the West Bank for 2 days, a sunset cruise down the Nile on a feluca, and then we set off on a great adventure to visit the Western Desert (though I must say a word of caution here - you may well end up with the tourist police joining you for part of your journey - but don't be put off - they are there to check you are safe and keep an eye on you). The Magic Spring was having an overhaul - probably just as well, as you would have to jump in to enjoy it, but I'm sure it will be a lovely spot when finished, the view is superb, and the salt lake next to it a bird watchers paradise. A night in the Great Sand Sea was a real highlight of the trip. Then back to Luxor to spend two days exploring the East bank, and a final treat - a lunchtime drink enjoying the delights of the Winter Palace before returning to the airport for our flight back home.

Our Egyptian adventure was everything we had imagined and more, and all because of the fantastic service we receive from the owners, manager and staff of the Sheherezade. I would recommend it to anyone. Oh yes, and we will be returning as soon as possible to see the things we were not able to fit in this trip... Our heartfelt thanks to everyone who made our trip such a special one, and one we will remember for many years to come.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends
Carlisle, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

This hotel reminds me of a small moorish style palace in North Africa. Its tranquil and warm with lovely architecture and friendly attentative staff who take a genuine I think interest in your comfort and well being.
The food was excellent and atmosphere informal at all times.
Christine the resident english manager is a wealth of knowledge and knowhow in arranging trips to the well known and lesser known places to visit.
All in all recommended.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled solo
Birmingham, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2010

My friend and I stayed at hotel Sheherazade in Luxor for one night in October 2010. We did not make an advanced booking but it was easy to sort out when we arrived. The staff were happy to let us inspect the room before agreeing a price.

The room itself was lovely - clean beds, quiet and effective air-con beautiful decoration, clean bathroom. The hotel also has beautiful architecture and gardens for relaxing in the evenings. We ate at the hotel on the evening of our stay and the next day's lunch. The food was great - really tasty.

The hotel is conveniently located about 2 mins walk from the west bank ferry. It is set back from the street giving it a sense of peace and tranquility.

The staff were helpful and friendly with no hassle. They were happy for us to book an additional half day so we could come back and have a shower and collect our luggage after a day's sightseeing and before getting an evening sleeper train to cairo.

Over all I would really recommend this hotel - my friend and I loved it.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Sheherazade? Share your experiences!