“good location but a bit overpriced for what you get” 3 of 5 stars

Marhaba Palace Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Corniche El Nil, Aswan, Egypt   |
Ranked #6 of 26 hotels in Aswan
Toronto, Canada
“good location but a bit overpriced for what you get”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 29, 2013

We stayed at the Marhaba for 2 nights in June and found that while the staff was very friendly and helpful, the hotel is quite dated and a bit overpriced for what you get (compared to hotels we stayed at in Luxor and Giza). The breakfast was your typical continental. The rooms were clean but the furniture is dated. Our room did have a lovely view of the Nile with a small patio.

Room Tip: Choose a high room with a view of the Nile.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple

52 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (10)
  • Arabic first
Vashon, Washington
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 6, 2013

We stayed at the Marhaba for 4 days in February and it lived up to its name (Welcome). Our room was lovely, the view superb and staff kind and helpful beyond expectations. They made my birthday memorable!
It is set back from the Corniche by a children's park, so while the view of the Nile is unobstructed, the traffic is further away. The Souk, the ferry to the West Bank, the railway station are all nearby. What more could you ask for?

Room Tip: Nile view is best
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
Ankara, Turkey
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 4, 2013

We stayed in Marhaba Palace Hotel from 21/12/2012-23/12/2012.I am travelling to Egypt during last X'mas holiday with my 3 kids aged 1 1/2,5 and 14.When we arrived in the Hotel we have been greeted and showed to our room with and optional to upgrade the room personally by the General Manager Mr.Ismail El Shaal.He was a very nice man for taking care of us during our stay in Aswan.Seem I am travelling without my husband,the main reason we came to Marhaba Palace hotel because we have been reading many good review abt him helping his guest prreviously and when we travel to a strange we would def.will be looking for someone like him.My kids particularly did enjoyed their stay in Marhaba Palace because the General Manager not only treated my children like his own grandchildren but also arrange out activities to Abu Simbel,Felluca Ride to the Botanical Garden and A visit To Nubian Village and also arrange for our transportation to Luxor with a stop at Kom Ombo and Edfu at a very reasonable price.Our room I would say we had the best location facing the Nile river,and during our last day in the hotel the breakfast also has been sent to our room personally.Overall during our trip to Egypt I would say stay in Aswan at Marhaba Palace Hotel was the best becasue it feel more like home,less haggling,the staff was very helpful in entertaining our request.I would strongly recommend this hotel if you are looking at the excellent service more than other and pls do not forget to look for the General Manager personally should you have any problem during your stay at this hotel...I really mean it because he also did checking up my visa validity with the local police officer coz we stayed in Egypt for more thank 15days.Among the places we had been in Egypt,this is the most place we will always remember especially my kiddos.Fyi....make sure you request the room facing the nile river with private balcony.Not to forget all the facilities and amenities are all nearby from the bank to change yr money even after woking hours because the bank have this machine to change the currency,the market was just a walking distance behind the hotel....totally a good place to stay especially if traveling with kids,they also have a swimming pool of coz my kids did not utilise it because it extremely chill in december.

Room Tip: We stayed in 405.corner unit in 4th floor.seem december is kind of chill too in aswan i bet lower fl...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

Came to Aswan after touring North of Egypt after staying in Cairo and also on a Nile Cruise, visiting our 3rd hotel and being very disappointed immediately asked our guide for a recommendation - and the Marharba did not disappoint. It made it a perfect end to the trip. Genuine souk markets, eateries, pharmacies not more than a few metres away. The view from our room was of the Nile, the Peace Gardens, and opposite the Nile was the Tombs of the Nobles which look great when lit up at night. The Staff were amongst the friendliest egyptians I met on the entire trip. The bellboy actually took us on a tour of the surroundings and places (with no incentive of backshish from aformentioned places!), the room cleaners were thorough and prompt, right up to the General Manager Ismail, whom I agreed with my girlfriend was the nicest Egyptian we met on the entire holiday. Being in a foreign country my girlfriend said this was the place where she felt the most at home and relaxed. If you're a tip scrooge, you'll still be leaving your biggest ones here!
Pros: Location, Staff, View, Roof Terrace resteraunt
Cons: If I'm forced to think of any - No Alcohol Served, not allowed to bring food in from outside

Room Tip: Ask Mr Ismail for a Nile-facing room
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

We stayed in this hotel for two night. We got two rooms(we have 2 children) overlooking the Nubian tombs (which are lit up at night) and the Nile river. The view was spectacular, the manager was always available and asking if we needed anything, all the staff were friendly and helpful, the food was good and the rooms were nice and clean. We thoroughly enjoyed our stay and plan to go back to the same hotel when we visit Aswan in the future. You can have a drink and or dinner on the roof with an even better view than from our rooms. I don't think there would be a hotel in Aswan that has a better view or is better value for money.

Room Tip: try to get a room facing the Nile river on the 4 floor or higher for a great view
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2012 via mobile

I booked this place because all the higher rated hotels on Tripadvisor were full. Based on other reviews I expected a decent, if not exactly inspiring, experience - and that's what I got.

Staff are nice people, but rooms are rather dingy, mine had small windows (you might be able to get a better one, ask to see several) and a balcony with Nile views so small that it wasn't really usable. Noisy aircon but no fan - bad for sleeping. Breakfast was ok but not as impressive as some of the reviews have suggested. Staff try to be helpful but are rather haphazard.

This is basically trying to be a 'proper' hotel, offering a pool, cafe and several other amenities, but it's not really doing them well and feels tired. Smaller, more friendly places work out better, I find. I might have given three stars based on the efforts of the staff, but this was the most expensive of three places I stayed in Egypt and the least good. So unimpressive value.

Suggest trying other places but consider this if they are full. Nothing to be scared of, just not very good.

• Stayed October 2012
Aswan, Egypt
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2012

I stayed at this hotel 3 nights I found all staff to be polite and friendly, and the manager when out of his way to help on any problem I had. I was especially satisfied with the breakfast that was included in the price. throughly recommend this Hotel.

Room Tip: Just ask, rooms facing River Nile are very nice, to stay in
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled solo

Been to Marhaba Palace Hotel? Share your experiences!