“the perfect stay” 5 of 5 stars

3.5 of 5 stars 448 Reviews
Istanbul
“the perfect stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2011

A very good hotel, staff were v friendly, from front desk reception, to cleaners! I would definitley stay here again, it was clean and beautiful, the feeling you got when returning on an evening from the hustle and bustle of Cairo was a bliss. Breakfast buffett was immaculate with a chef on standy to make you omelettes or falafels,. Service is brilliant too, felt so at ease in this hotel. From our room balcony you could see the pyramids, what a view.

Room Tip: ask for pool view, looks amazing at day time as you can see one of the pyramids and at night its all...
  • Stayed January 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (81)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
Madrid, Spain
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2011

I can't remember the last time that I have stayed at a hotel where I felt at home as soon as I got there. The staff were so friendly and helpful. I was travelling alone but I soon had the opportunity to meet people by the swimming pool and the lovely typical bedouin area. I met fellow Americans, Austrians, Egyptians and Spaniards. I had an amazing time and I will make sure that I return on my next trip to Egypt!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
Los Angeles, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

I stayed at the Grand Pyramids Hotel in Cairo in July and August. The staff was very helpful and the accomodations were very nice. The buffet breakfast and dinner had many selections to choose from. I really enjoyed my stay. I never felt alone, being a single traveler, becos the staff treated me more like a friend than a guest. I highly recommend this hotel for the price, which is reasonable, cleanliness and its location to the Pyramids and other tourist sites.

Room Tip: I liked the rooms with a view of the pool area.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Santos, SP
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2011

Good location and clean rooms. I forgot my wallet in the room and when I came back , $100 was gone... I didn't complain about it (now I regret)... But the rest was good, great food and you have a lot of restaurants inside the hotel.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2011 via mobile

Appearances may be deceiving, and this is the case for this hotel. It bills itself as 5 star resort, so I had high expectations. I was excited when I got this hotel for such a cheap rate, but I thought that was due to it being Ramadan, August, and because my government gave a travelers warning to travel to Egypt with going through a political revelation. But my advice to you is hold on to your wallets, and trust no one on property, not even the GM.
When I arrived on property, it looked beautiful. And the room was large, clean and had a view of the pool and a liitle glimse of two tops of the pyramids. Do not believe the hotels pictures websites pictures, they are doctored to show the pyramids much closer to the hotel. When I checked in, the front desk person was very unwelcoming. He gave me no information about the hotel. Over the next couple days I learned that there was more than one restaurant, that there was shops and that there was a hidden bar that served beer & wine (The rest of the restaurants and bars served only non alcoholic cocktails). On my first night there, I went to the only restaurant I thought they had, an Italian one. The food was okay, but both the salad and the pizza tasted like it had sand on it. I saw that a service charge was included in the price. The bill showed around 89 Egyptian Pounds, I put a 100 EP note down. The server took the money, and I waited around 5 minutes for my change, (I was the only one in the restaurant) but it did not come, and then I saw the server just standing by the door, and I felt weird asking for my change so I just walked out.
In the evening after sundown all the obviously Muslim people came out and about around the pool, it was nice ambiance- but it was obvious the hotel catered to their needs. They had a beautiful camel by the pool, and all the kids and other guests were enjoying riding & taking pictures of this animal. I was swindled badly in Marrakech over taking a photo of a Camel. Over there I was yelled at because I did not give enough money to the owner of the camel that was lying by the road. So back to the camel by the pool... I really wanted to take a picture, because it was so cool to see a camel at my hotels pool, how exotic! But I stood back a bit and watched the Non-Westerners ride and take their pictures freely and paid special attention, and noticed that no one was giving over money to the camels handler. So I decided the camel was part of the hotels evening entertainment. So I walked closer with my camera, and the handler seeing my pale skin and blonde hair, ignored all the other guests who were around the camel, and asked, "where you from?" & come take a picture. I asked him if there is a charge just to make sure this time, and he said no, but if you want to give, give what ever is in your heart. So took my picture, and I started talking with the handler asking him about his camel. He asked me to be his American girlfriend. Then as I was saying goodbye, I started muddling through by bag for a tip, and as I did this, he said "You can give me 50, or 100" I gave him 15 EP (around $3), and he rolled his eyes at me, and complained that was too little. I was very annoyed, because I sat back and watched the other guests (And by the other guests, I knew they were Muslims, by their obvious dress, head coverings, and Arabic speech, sorry about the generalization, I have nothing against Muslims, I respect them fully) have full rides and take pictures without giving a cent. And this became an accruing theme, they saw a single, blonde haired female American, and they saw $$$.
A very huge thing I learned, and to pass along is...BOOK YOUR DAY TRIPS AND EXCURSIONS PRIOR TO YOUR STAY, DO NOT BOOK AT THIS HOTEL!!! I saw full day trips on Viator.com to the pyramids & Egyptian Museum, including a guide and entrance fees for $45. I learned a big lesson! I went to the hotel taxi desk, and spoke to the gentleman there. I told him, I am tight on money and time, and when I go to the Pyramids, I do not want to be hassled as I have heard many stories from friends, and my first hand experience in Marrakech. The taxi gentleman, said he can do a tour for me and just visit the Pyramids, The papyrus factory, a perfume factory, and a small bazaar for $45. He said that excluded entrance fees, included just transportation and his guidance and interpretation. I ask about the entrance fees, he quoted in Egyptian Pounds: 60 for entrance to pyramid grounds, 100 for inside large pyramid (he told me to go in the small pyramid, it would be just the same as the large one, but for only 30), 130 to go in the tombs, he said I could get a knowledgeable English speaking guide, but I had to negotiate with the guide on a price by my self (He would not give me a price range at all), and he said the factories, were had no entrance fees. I told Mr. Taxi, that I did not like being pressured to by things at the factories, he said there should be no problem, he will be there with me the whole time. Mr. Taxi said that I will have a great tour, and because he works for The Grand Pyramids Hotel, if I was unsatisfied, I could talk to the GM. So the next day I met Mr. Taxi in the lobby, excited for the trip. We first started at the papyrus factory, and he handed me off to a nice guide who demonstrated just for me how they made papyrus. He offered me a welcome drink, then said I can look around and to by something. He was very friendly, but he followed me while I was looking around, and kept on making me purchase their famous picture for 1100 EP. I told him I cannot afford that. But their was great pressure to purchase something in exchange for his time. And I know I could have bought nothing, but I did. Of course I knew that Mr. Taxi and probably the hotel get a cut. Then we arrived at the pyramid grounds, and Mr. Taxi said that this man walking to the car was my guide. At that point, I did not know if I could afford a guide, so I asked the appointed guide how much he charged, he said I must give from my heart, whatever I think is appropriate, I know I heard this before with the camel man. But I looked at Mr. Taxi for guidance, because I told him, I did not like this way of doing business, I like an upfront price. But Mr. Taxi sped away, and I was left in the hands of a man, who had nothing official looking about him, no badge or credentials. Mr. Taxi prearranged this guy for me. At first the guide was friendly, and somewhat knowledgable. We started talking about customs, and I told him about my experience at the hotel so far. He seemed to agree with me that I had been taken advantage of because I was an American. He was upfront about the costs of going into certain places. But then he asked me if I was married, or if I had a boyfriend, what I thought were just fine. But then he changed completely in character and became vulgar and extremely inappropriate for a professional guide. I tolerated this as much as I could stand because, I was nervous, because of the horror stories I have heard about tourist in Egypt. He talked in great detail about his personal sexual life and asked about mine. We seemed to keep on going into deserted places, and he said he was not going to rape me because he believes that it is impossible to rape a women, that those who accuse men of rape lie because they actually want it. I told him this was outrageous. He kept on asking me that if he could demonstrate on me, he will try and rape me, and he could show me it is impossible! He also kept on alluding to when we go to the tombs (what apparently is not open to the public, but my guide had special arrangements with the guard. DO NOT PAY THE 130EP FEE, it is not worth it. Both Mr.Taxi & My guide said it wad amazing, statues and hyragliphics, it was just a ploy for the money to go strait in their pockets!) so the guide kept on saying I need to get naked when I go down to the tombs. He also kept on touching my breasts, and trying to look down my bra. He also kept on saying that if I kissed him, his fee would go down. I wanted to get away from him, but I had no way to run. Finally around 2 and a half hours, I finally found Mr.Taxi waiting. The guide said that the he wanted 230 for the entrance fees, and then said he wanted $150 USD for that horrid tour. I said that I found him very inappropriate, and I will give him what I felt fair for the first part of the tour, I wanted to give him nothing and report him to the police. I told Mr. Taxi about him being inappropriate. He did not seem to understand, he thought I was telling him that he asked for too much money. I was almost broke at this point, and out of energy. I asked Mr. Taxi not to take me to the perfume factory, because I do not have enough to spend there. He asked if I wanted to go to the mini-bazaar to get really cheap things, I said ok because a wanted a tiny Egyptian moment. But again, this was a tiny store, and the owner hung on to my every movement trying to make a deal. But I purchased a little King Tut. I asked Mr. Taxi to take me to the hotel, I will need to draw out more money to cover his fee and tip. All in all, I spent almost $200 USD on those 4 hrs, when I could have just spent $45 on a pre-booked full day excursion, including entrance to the Egyptian museum. Why I put this experience under the HOTEL review is because Mr. Taxi works for the hotel, or so he said. I do hold the hotel responsible for that awful tour.
On to my next rant. Wireless Internet!!! They have wireless Internet for almost $9 an hour! Or you could by a day card at an outrageous $18 per a day! They said the high speed access is resort wide, including your room. My boyfriend bought me an iPad so we could Skype when I was away on my 2 month trip. I coughed up for the day price, because I sometimes need to try my boyfriend at multiple times before I get him. I went up to my lovely room. And tried to get online. I could not. So they sent their very sweet IT guy (Mohamed) to my room, with a cable, but my IPad does not support a cable. He then tells me their wireless Internet is not working anywhere but the business office, what closes at 9. I walked with him to the business office, and got online there. But I felt uncomfortable speaking to my boyfriend when there were other people in the center. And after 9 is the best time to get him. Muhammed was very apologetic about the situation, I asked him to his manager about getting a reduced rate, because I could not use my iPad by the pool, or the privacy of my room, but instead in a uncomfortable, florescent lit business center that closed at 9! when I checked out, they said I still owed the $18. I told the GM what happened, and he went to the IT manager, and came back and told me I still owe $18 because I already spent 3hrs in the business center. I was very upset! So the GM said I could pay $9 finally. I said OK. But then the GM asked for my access card back. I said for some reason I can get the Internet in the lobby, I want it back. But after a few minutes the GM never came back with my card. So I went to the business center to get it back from the IT manager, he was very rude! He told me they had it at the front dest, but when I got it from the man at the desk, he said the GM said again, I will have to pay the full price!!!! Well if they gave me full service I would pay the full price!
My last complaint is, that on Hotels.com website, they said that the hotel offers $10 transfers to the airport. When I went to book this at the front desk, showing the printout, the very rude guy who checked me in said there is no such thing, that it costs $28. He did not even offer me to show this to the manager! FYI at airport to hotel by black taxi it cost 120 EP. Mr. Taxi said the white taxi could charge around 90EP. I was also told to stay away from checkered taxi's.
In summery, I felt robbed, and disrespected as a guest at that hotel. But there were a few wonderful people, like the room cleaners, the ladies in the breakfast room & at the front desk. I liked Mr. Taxi, but still am unsure if I could trust him. The breakfast was pretty good. The pool was wonderful, even though the 2 pool towel guys were sleeping every time I wanted towel. The room was great. So there is my vent about this hotel.l

• Stayed August 2011
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2011 via mobile

I used a day room before taking sleeper train. The hotel is not far from Pyramids, 10 min by taxi. I like this hotel. It was great value , good service, comfort bed, room is big, clean. Bathroom with choices of aminities, hair dryer. I rate this hotel 4-star

• Stayed July 2011
Mississauga, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2011

Hi. My family and I have previously went to grand pyramids hotel. However, that was before the revolution of January 25th. After, the revolution I have noticed not only the staff but the main environment around Grand pyramids is full of hope and determination. The staff is always ready to help with enthusiasm for questions or concerns. My family and I think the revolution made a great impact on Grand pyramids hotel and made it even better than it was. We enjoyed our stay and we will be back very soon to revisit!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family

Been to Grand Pyramids Hotel? Share your experiences!