“Excellent location, superb service, and great food. Overall highly recommended.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at the First Residence

20% Off Room Rate!
Ranked #1 of 37 Hotels in Giza
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2012

We stayed here two nights in March 2012 and would highly recommend the Four Seasons First Residence in Giza. The service was impeccable, they even handed me water and a towel after my run through Cairo in the morning. The rooms were quite large and had great views of either the Nile or the pyramids. The beds were comfortable and all amenities were great. The buffett breakfast was superlative and varied for all tastes and cuisines. The Thai restaurant was recommended by our friends but we ate at Seasons the Italian inspired restaurant that had excellent food and service. The location is great and just a short taxi ride from all the major sites and some high quality restaurants outside the hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a pyramid view room (west side room) and enjoy happy hour gazing at the sunset over the pyra...
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (77)
  • Arabic first
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 20, 2012

Stayed at the Four Seasons First Residence at the end of January 2012 for 5 nights. The hotel is a little away from the madness of downtown Cairo but with 23 million people in one city nowhere is free of traffic and people. The hotel is part of a complex with a major shopping centre and residential building. It is next to the Nile and can have great views of the river and the city beyond on one side and on the other the zoo gardens and on a good day, a glimpse of the pyramids through the smog. Word of warning the pyramid side means traffic noise so higher floors are better. On the river side the residential building is between the hotel and the Nile so a room at either corner of the hotel building is best or you will have a lovely picture window filled with the view of another building and a sliver of Nile on either side. The only clear view in these middle rooms was of the building site which was the hotel pool in January/February. When I first arrived I had been allocated one of these obstructed view rooms and was not happy.

This hotel has a floor for women only which is comforting when travelling in the Middle East but not vital. I did not request this but the hotel made a decision to put me on this floor - level 10. Given the dreadful state of tourism in Egypt at the moment, with tourists staying away in droves and I am fairly certain was the one of only two occupants of this level,that a corner room might be possible. After several discussions with the manager and inspecting other rooms I was placed in a corner room at no additional expense. After 27 hours in the air from Australia to Cairo you can imagine how keen I was to just settle but the orignal room was so claustrophobic with the residential building squarely taking up my window space I had to keep trying. I was a little disappointed as I was travelling with Abercrombie & Kent and I would have hoped this would have been dealt with before I arrived.

However, the rooms are large, comfortable and very attractively furnished perhaps they could do with some updating but in the main excellent with loads of cupboard space and room for the bags. Bathrooms were excellent and spotless with Bulgari toiletries and plenty of very fluffy towels. Lovely fresh flowers in the bathroom and excellent turndown service in the bedroom.The windows can be opened and this was great - you could get a feel for the world outside the hotel and you can hear the people being called to prayer across the river late in the day.

It really is heartbreaking to see how few tourists there are. The main reastaurant where we had breakfast each morning seats around 80 people and has terrific views across the river - lovely place to start the day and watch the rowers and fellucas. I never saw more than 8 people for breakfast or dinner sitting down to eat during my stay. The food was fantastic and the staff charming and highly efficient. Only downside is it is very hard to get any wine other than Egyptian even in a 5 star hotel. The only champagne was an Egyptian one called Aida available in the bar - enough said. Room service uniformly very good and quick. I also tried the Thai restaurant and found it suprising authentic and the service was outstanding.

Spent an afternoon in the spa to lose the jetlag and that was fab. The spa is huge and luxurious - as a spa junkie I was very impressed and as I was staying on the women only floor there was a discount at the spa.

Location wise it is great for sites like the Pyramids and Saqquara. If you have never experienced Cairo traffic you do not know the meaning of the word. It is constantly bumper to bumper and that may be with a donkey, not another car and democracy seems to mean that you don't have to obey the road rules. So it takes ages to get anywhere. It is a hike across town to get to the Citadel, the Bazaar, Hanging Church etc but very calming when you cross the river again to Giza and the hotel at the end of a busy day and the mayhem is a little more subdued.

All up this hotel is the whole package - in Cairo/Giza I think it is rightly top of the list of places to stay - if only because the service was so good and the staff so friendly and accommodating. In fact, some flashier 5 star hotels I have stayed at in Western capital cities could learn alot from the pleasant approach and good manners of the staff in this hotel. Reception were uniformly helpful and could not do enough to make my stay a happy one and anyone in hotel livery that I ran into around the complex said good morning or good evening and made me feel like they were pleased I had chosen their hotel and it was important to them that I enjoyed my stay. Would stay here again and would very much recommend this hotel.

On a final note, the shopping complex is very good if expensive and there is a wonderful jeweller called Azza Fahmy who makes superb modern silver pieces if you want a gorgeous souvenir of Egypt to take home rather than another fake papyrus!

Room Tip: Always a corner room on the Nile side to avoid a blocked view and stay higher up on the Pyramid side...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 24, 2012

The hotel is a fabulous place to base yourself in Cairo. Of course, The Four Seasons level of quality and service is present in abundance. The hotel is nicely situated between downtown Cairo and the Pyramids, so we were easily able to enjoy all the sights from the hotel. The staff were incredibly helpful with arranging our days out, especially when the guide we had arranged before we left home did not show up. Thank you to the kind staff and we hope to visit Cairo again soon.

Room Tip: Ask for a room a little higher up and perhaps on the Nile side. The view of the pyramids is not gre...
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Roseville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I recently returned from my trip to Europe, in which I had a 2 night stay in Cairo to see the pyramids. I was a little nervous being an American in a middle eastern area so I figured quicker was better. The Four Seasons was amazing. From the moment we were picked up from the airport, the rest of the stay in Cairo was taken care of. We set up our tours though the hotel, I think it was $400 for a private car, driver, and tour guide with all entrance fees included and we saw and got to go inside the great pyramid and Sakara. Our tour guide was called "Mack" he was fantastic. He managed to bribe our way into spots we werent supposed to be, good guy. Food was very good, with the exchange rate, a dollar goes a long way. The casino seemed really tight, maybe I was just having a bad night though. Overall the best way to see Cairo

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with friends
Alexandria, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2012

I had a room over the Nile and could just make out the Pyramids at Giza from my balcony. This was not long after the revolution and it was still not safe to go out in the city. My room was nice and I really enjoyed the sunset as I drank coffee and read a book on the balcony. I ate in one of the in-hotel restaurants and I remember that it was decent food but a bit pricy.. but I think the price of food at a lot of hotels is too expensive for the quality/quantity.

Room Tip: Get a room facing the Nile. I think the higher the better given you are above a major road.
  • Stayed March 2011, traveled on business
Seoul, South Korea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2012

I was very pleased with the service of the concierge staff at the hotel. One of the best experiences I have had at a hotel. The dedication, service, politeness was top notch. I really appreciated the fact that English proficiency was very high by all staff members and that I felt like I was being taken care of.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
Menlo Park, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2012

We stayed at the Four Seasons FR in January at the conclusion to our tour of Egypt. We stayed at five luxury hotels (Meridien Pyramids, Conrad Cairo, Maritim Jolie Luxor, Pyramisa Isis Island Aswan) and the Four Seasons FR blew them all away. FWIW, in rank order, the Four Seasons FR was the best hotel by a long margin, followed by the Conrad and the Maritim (both excellent...I would return to both), followed by the Meridien Pyramids (good but small rooms and pyramids view is overrated...would not return), with the Pyramisa trailing far, far behind (terrible).

I stay at a lot of Four Seasons and Ritz properties worldwide for work and even by Four Seasons standards I would rank this hotel near the top of the list for city properties.

We had a Nile view premier room that was very thoughtfully laid out (foyer with large closets, huge bathroom with shower/tub and separate toilet room, bedroom with separate nook for study table). On our last day in Cairo we were thinking of doing some shopping about town but loved the hotel so much we ended up just hanging out in the facilities.

The Spa is excellent. If you go for a massage make sure to ask for a therapy room with a view...the rooms facing the Nile have stunning views through half-moon shaped windows. Note that because of the conservative culture there are no "couples" massage rooms, and the mens section of the spa is completely separated from the womens section.

We had high tea twice in the salon area, which is absolutely beautiful with the ocular window and chandelier (it is the iconic picture of this hotel). The setting and ambiance are fantastic, the tea is passable but clearly not comparable to tea by London/Paris/NYC standards. They make do with what they have.

The breakfast is worth getting up for. It's in a separate restaurant from the tea place, with floor to ceiling Nile views and both Western and Middle Eastern food. What a great way to start the day.

Service at the hotel was what you would expect from the Four Seasons. Perfect.

Overall, I cannot wait to get back to this hotel on a future Cairo visit. I was there with my girlfriend and it is exactly the romantic stay we hoped for. Superlative!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Four Seasons Hotel Cairo at the First Residence? Share your experiences!