“Worth it!” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“Worth it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

I recently traveled Egypt. I upgraded my accommodation to stay a little closer to the Pyramids. I can say that paying a little extra was worth it. Every time i opened the curtains i was in awe of the great Pyramids right in front of me. The hotel has great facilities and the buffet was fine. The staff in the hotel were all friendly and more than happy to help with any queries. I would happily stay in this hotel again.

Room Tip: Select a Pyramid view room. There is a little traffic noise, however given the use of car horns in E...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (301)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Myself and my partner stayed in this hotel for 3 nights, The hotel itself is lovely But they lack in many areas!

We had paid extra for a pyramid view with balcony yet when we arrived we had no balcony and could hardly see the pyramids from the position, After complaining we had paid for a balcony they moved us to another room yet this room again had no balcony! Very bad communication Between porters and reception. After this we did get a balcony Yet after 5 mins of standing on the balcony a big puff of black smoke shot up in front of us My partner who is asmatic had a coughing fit at this point. I went down to complain imediatley and again we where moved yet to my astonishment no balcony again!!! How hard is it to get the room you paid for!! After this i wanted to speak to the manger who in the end got us a lovely room with a great view!

Also the rooms are looking very shabby! Needs and refresh! we had a lamp with a wire exposed in one room which is very dangerous! There was a crack in our Sink! The shower had no pressure to it.

The restaurant Had a great look but the staff where a let down! Your drink order took forever to come, one night we had finished our meals by the time they came!
The food is lovely yet the deserts are dreadful! Very dry and bland!

The pool was freezing cold the entire stay! We asked about this as it does say heated pool! hey gentleman said there was not enough guest by the pool to have the need to turn the heater on! I was shocked by the answer!

Overall i wouldn't stay here again if visiting Cairo!

Room Tip: Ask for a pyramid view room with balcony sevral times to remind them what you want!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Bedford, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2012

Stayed here in August this year for 3 nights. Arrived on a Friday night which was an amazing journey by bus - the traffic & driving is mad!!. Was checked in by our rep from Traveline Egypt (recommend them) & was seen to our room in no time at all. Requested a Pyramid view room which we got. This was a newly decorated room with an excellent view of the Giza pyramids & onto the pool complex. The room was very clean, tidy & had everything (except the tea & coffee which many British hotels offer). Air conditioning was on all the time & kept the room at a lovely bearable temperature. Service in the hotel was excellent & nothing was ever too much trouble. Hotel has a currency exchange desk (offers better rates than exchanging in the UK). Food served at breakfast has a vast selection of offerings - omelettes can be made to order as well. Dined one night at the buffet restaurant which again had a variety of choice to whet the appetite. I would recommend as a base to explore the Pyramids (only a short 5-10min drive away - you can see from the pictures!) and all the other Cairo sites. It was a very enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: MUST ask for a Pyramid view room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Nassau, New Providence Island
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

We had a fantastic view! We currently live outside the U.S., so we loved the Tex-Mex restaurant. Not 100% authentic by any means, but fulfilled a craving we had. The spa was very relaxing and provided great service!

Room Tip: Try to get a Pyramid view in the "new" part of the hotel
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2012

I stayed at this property for one night as part of a tour group (independently arranged) from a cruise which docked overnight in Alexandria. I had the choice between this property or paying $50 more for the Mena House Oberoi. Although this room was adequate, I wished I had chosen the latter.

Check in took a long time, although I think this was because we were part of a large group and there is a lot of information to be collected by the hotel (passports, etc.)

The property's entrance itself is fine and is 'grand' enough. The man who took us to our rooms was pleasant and friendly. I was glad to have the escort as this property is large and it would be easy to get lost.

After a long day of sightseeing, I was looking forward to using the pool/spa, but it had strangely closed quite early (we arrived around 5:30 pm and it was already too late). It apparently closes at dusk each night.

My room was quite some trek from the main desk. It was not a pyramid view room (although I would have paid more for one had it been available). Instead, it overlooked a very noisy and dirty intersection. That is Cairo, though, so I didn't think too much about it either way. However, the noise did not die down at all during the night and it was impossible to sleep (and I used to own a condominium downtown Vancouver so am rather used to city noise). Anyhow, I turned on the fan in the room to act as white noise. It worked well for this purpose, but the temperature of the air it was emitting was too cold. I tried adjusting it using the dial, but nothing happened. I called down to guest services to explain in detail the issue and the extremely friendly young man said they would look into it. I was surprised when half an hour, an older man wearing an "Engineer" uniform came up. He simply switched off the air conditioning unit and looked at me blankly. I laughed and said yes, I know how to turn it off - but I want it on as it blocks out the noise from outside. Can you change its temperature? He said no, everything was only set to cool, not to heat, and there was no lower setting. I just left the fan off for the rest of the night. But it was incredibly noisy.

The room itself was large and there was a nice seating area. Evidence of wear was prevalent, though, from the cracked wood and the faded and chipped 'marble' in the bathroom. The shower itself was not good and the water pressure was weak. There was a chest of drawers I opened which I wish I didn't - there was a rather putrid smell emanating from them.

There is no free WiFi on the property at all. My room was so far out that there wasn't even a signal for WiFi - I had to go to the main reception area to sit and use the paid service. Even the process for obtaining a paid pass is in-elegant, as you have to wait in line at the front desk to get authorization. I ended up buying a 15-minute voucher and it cost about 3 Euros, if I recall correctly.

Room service for dinner was good. The individual pizzas are a good value and were tasty. The rest of the menu looked overpriced.

The worst experience was in trying to get a single cup of coffee early the next morning. The included breakfast buffet is available from 3:30 am (I was impressed with this early time - but I wonder if it has anything to do with the 4 am call to prayer?). Upon waking at 5 am, I went down to the restaurant to ask for a cup of coffee to take back to my room before I had my morning shower. The stern man at the entrance to the restaurant said in a patronizing voice, oh, you want room service? I said, no thanks, I merely want to take one cup of coffee back to my room as I am not quite hungry yet. He looked at me as though I had suggested eating his dog. He said that is not possible, that I would either have to order room service (which has a surcharge fee, I would add, and which is not quick at all), or I would have to sit in the restaurant and drink the coffee. The way he added my room number to his list suggested that if I later tried to come back for breakfast, I would not be allowed to (as he made no note of a coffee-only initial trip.) Anyhow, not wanting an argument with this stern-sounding and unfriendly man (who appeared to be some sort of manager), I just sat down.

I asked a young man for one cup of coffee. About ten minutes had passed and I had to ask someone again as it didn't arrive - the young man instead seemed busy polishing silverware. It was frustrating, and a waste of time. In the end, though, the coffee was incredibly tasty and it arrived in an individual press. But it still took far too long and I don't understand why it was a big deal for me to take it back to my room. It appears they want to make you pay the surcharge. I was just trying to be efficient. As a result, I didn't have time to sit in the restaurant later again for the buffet before our group left, so I was quite hungry that morning. I therefore cannot review the food there, although it looked like quite a nice layout. Too bad I didn't get to enjoy it.

I spoke to another lady in my group and she said she encountered a similar experience in the Tex Mex restaurant when she wanted to take leftover food back to the room. She said that the looks she got were as though she was trying to steal something.

I don't mean to sound spoiled, nor culturally insensitive if there is something else at play here, but to me it seems ridiculous that a hotel that surely caters to North American travellers cannot accommodate an in-person request for a cup of coffee to take back to one's room, pre-breakfast. In the end, of course, I did wish I had just ordered room service the night before. But it seemed like an unnecessary ordeal and expense for everyone involved.

Overall, the hotel was fine. There were some nice employees and some not-so-nice employees. I haven't stayed at any other hotels in Egypt, so cannot rate this hotel on a comparative level. I won't re-hash in detail, but the lack of free WiFi, the ridiculously early pool/spa closure, the rudeness over the morning coffee, the faded-around-the-edges rooms with the sprawling layout, and the noise with unadjustable air conditioning means I can only give this property three stars. It's a shame, as these are all things a hotel like Le Meridien should easily be able to rectify.

It wasn't a horrible experience by any means. But I'd probably look elsewhere next time.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Thatcham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2012

we stayed here for 3 days as part of a tour of Egypt. Our room was supposed to be a deluxe pyramid view but the hotel was busy and they struggled to fulfill the reservation. We did get the deluxe room, after refusing one offerred, but with a restricted view. The pool area is a must, sit back, relax and unwind...even with the hussle and bussle of Giza/Cairo on your doorstep. We had issues with the restaurant one night when it was exceptionally busy because of 'quick trippers' who are from the cruis ships at Alexandria bused into Cairo for the day. The food options deminished to only four and the restaurant actually ran out of deserts. Its must be said that the night previous in the restaurant there was options a plenty and the whole atmosphere was far more relaxed.

Room Tip: Make sure you get what you pay for.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Amsterdam, Noord-Holland, Netherlands
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 15, 2012

My family traveled to Giza for 3 days of a 10 day stay in Egypt. We got a great deal on hotels.com for Le Meridien (Mena House Oberoi was too expensive for us) and it worked perfectly for us. One thing I read on many reviews and was prepared for is take down a "star" for hotel rankings in Egypt, so if Le Meridien is usually a 5 star, consider it 4 star. That's probably appropriate but we were perfectly happy and felt our rooms were high quality, the service was great (although we were one of the few guests). We ate at all 3 restaurants (Mexican, indoor and by pool) and food was pretty good, not great. Again, common for the food to be what makes it 4 star.
We wanted Le Meridien because it was in Giza and away from any potential issue across the river (although all was peaceful as expected) and close to our Day 1 sightseeing. We also wanted great pools as our kids are 7, 5 and 3 and we could only do 1/2 day tours, with the other 1/2 of the day about pool play. The pools are extensive and have gorgeous views of the pyramids. My one complaint is that the water was FREEZING. We were shocked because it was high 80's and the pool wasn't in shadow at all, but the temperature was so cold, we could only be in it for a short while. The kids cared less and splashed in it the whole time but it really effected how much we could join them and how enjoyable it was for the adults. My thought was that maybe it's normally heated some, but with the sharp decline in occupancy (it was deserted), maybe they're saving some money. Which I can hardly blame them. But overall, great stay!

Room Tip: All rooms are the same for the most part. We had 2 adjoining rooms which worked great for our family...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family

Been to Le Meridien Pyramids Hotel & Spa? Share your experiences!