“Great Location but needs Refurbishing” 4 of 5 stars

Sheraton Cairo Hotel, Towers & Casino
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1 El Galaa Sq. Dokki, Giza, Egypt   |
3.5 of 5 stars 288 Reviews
Toronto, Canada
“Great Location but needs Refurbishing”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

Recently stayed at the Sheraton Cairo and was very pleased with it's Nile riverfront location in the city centre. The lobby,outdoor pool and restaurants (there are several to choose from) are very modern but the hallways and rooms are in dire need of refurbishing. By that I mean rugs and drapes etc. - very depressing when you get off the elevator and walk to your room.
The room we had on the 13th floor (yes there is a 13th floor) was more like a suite and we were very pleased with its spaciousness. The room had a wrap-around balcony so that we had great views of Cairo - at least through the smog.
Hints - there's a great little Italian restaurant right across the road and to the right of the hotel. It's right beside the Nile and its prices are really reasonable. Unfortunately, like many Egyptian restaurants they don't serve wine,liquor or beer. Try a water pipe for your first real Egyptian experience even if you're not a smoker. Much better than cigarettes, cigars or pipes.
If you can, get the B&B deal with your room. The buffet breakfast in the second tower(there are 2 locations)was outstanding.
Word of warning - crossing the accompanying roundabout to the left of the hotel is very dangerous for pedestrians.

• Liked — the large room and the view
  • Disliked — the rugs and drapes need refurbishing
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled with friends
    • 3 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 2 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
  • Greek first
Hamburg, Germany
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2007

We booked a room at the Sheraton on very short notice but had no problems getting one. At our arrival in the afternoon we where directed to a VIP-Check-In on the 19th floor. The counter was located in the Club Lounge giving it an extra private and relaxed atmosphere. Our spacey room was on the 24th floor just below the top floor. Although we had no balcony the large window – which you could actually open – gave us a stunning view over the river Nile. And we could see the Pyramids of Gizah and the ones in Saqqarah as well. In the afternoon we had free coffee and pastry.
I do not know if everyone gets such a great reception. Maybe it was an advantage to be a member of the Starwood Program, or it was because we had moved in from another Sheraton.
After all I can not believe that this hotel is labelled a three star hotel. At least our room was far better. From our experience we really can recommend the Sheraton Cairo.

• Liked — The view, the Libanese restaurant and the staff
  • Stayed May 2007, traveled as a couple
Chicago, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2007

I recently stayed at this hotel in April 2007. My room was on the 19th floor of the Cleopatra Tower and it was fantastic. I was a bit worried based on some of the previous reviews I read concerning this particular tower of the property, but my fears were laid to rest when I opened my door. The room was large, clean, had beautiful hardwood floors and a comfortable bed. It also had a very nice terrace which overlooked the traffic circle and also had lovely views of the Nile River. It was clean with no evidence of soot on the concrete or patio furniture (the bottoms of my socks were not blackened when I wore them on the terrace). Sitting on the terrace was a nice way to have tea in the evening and unwind as there was always a cooling breeze and plenty of traffic entertainment. The hotel is massive, but I found it easy to get around in. The included breakfast at the hotel was just fine, offering an assortment for everyone. I ate the rest of my meals out of the hotel. Overall service was very good and the location of this hotel is very good. You can actually walk to the Egyptian Museum and cross over the Nile River where you can take photos at sunset. Cairo is fantastic! Much like any other urban city in the world. If you are concerned about the quality of your room at this hotel, ask for a room on an upper floor when you make your reservation. Bear in mind, a five star hotel in a third world country is not the same as a five star hotel in the USA. Happy travels!

• Liked — Location
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
Chicago, Illinois USA & Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 27, 2007

My wife and I spent a lovely night away from our kids (they were with our friends) at the Sheraton Cairo Towers & Casino. We are residents here.

It was a very lovely stay for the following reasons:

The hotel is situated right in the heart of downtown with a lovely view of the Nile. In fact, it's right on the Nile. It's very lovely at night sitting on your balcony with the cool breeze and seeing all the sailboats down below. This hotel comprises of two tall towers, the Nefertiti Tower and the Cleopatra Tower. The Cleopatra Tower seems like the newer one (where we stayed) and the hallways and interior are very elegant and upper class. The layout of the hotel lobby and adjacent restaurants and such were a bit confusing, but if you ask around, you can find everything.

The outdoor pool was heated, so although it was quite chilly out when we stayed, inside the water, it was very lovely. It has a shallow side and a deeper side divided by a rope and a poolside bar on the shallow side. there is also a children's pool about 1/2 meter deep, and I believe it was also heated. The pool had "Le Mirage" poolside bar and cafe, so you can order snacks and drinks at the pool.

Next to the pool, you will find the fitness center, where in-room guests can use free of charge. It has a full fitness center with all the machines and a locker room (safe deposit boxes available to keep your valuables - don't forget this b/c in Egypt, anybody might steal anything, even in upper class hotels). They also have a sauna/steam room/jacuzzi, but you have to pay a charge to use it (which was a bit disappointing). The charge was $20 USD for a full day per person. However, each sex (gender) has their own jacuzzi/steam room, so we didn't do it b/c my wife and I wanted to sit inside together. That's a bummer out here, but it's difficult to avoid in most hotels in Egypt, b/c of the Muslim culture. [A bit contradictory in my opinion bc men and women are together in the pool]. Go figure! The fitness center has nice experienced trainers who can help you with the machines and even give you lots of advice. There is a small spa and massage service, and my wife got a full body massage for about $50 USD; and it was lovely in her words. There is free complimentary bottled water and fresh-shqueezed orange and grapefruit juice at the fitness center also.

The room we stayed in was spectacular. We had reserved a king size bed in a standard room which had a city-view; but upon check-in, i usually ask if they can upgrade us to a better room; so i asked if we can have a room as high up as possible with a Nile River view. They offered me a king size small suite with a cityview, or a two double beds which they can push together in a Nile-view large suite. We obviously took the larger room with Nile-view. It was spectacular. We had two HUGE rooms equal in size (one as a bedroom and the other as a lounge). We actually felt like we didn't need the living room lounge area, but it was nice. Two full bathrooms, complimentary coffee/tea/bottled waters, AC, heat, room service, beautiful and clean wooden floors with thick Persian rugs, comfortable beds, mini bar, safe deposit box, and all the accessories that make a luxury hotel what it really is. If you so wish, you can also get a complimentary tea or coffee in the morning delivered to your room. Leave your shoes and they'll even shine your shoes when they clean your room. It was very clean, so I walked around barefoot in my room, no dust, and no bad odors at all. I guess it depends on which room. (TIP: the room we got was supposed to cost retail value rack rate for $555.00 USD double occupancy), but we got it through a local travel agent for $140.00 USD B&B after taxes and charges. Now I know we got lucky with the upgrade, but it is still much cheaper than straight through the internet or through an international tour company. [Contact me if you wish and i can give you contact information to my tour agent in Cairo]. This package also included breakfast every morning in their restaurant downstairs.

Breakfast was sufficient, nothing great or spectacular, but as usual in a luxury hotel, there is an omelette making service station, plenty of breads, veggies, hot foods, cereals, cheeses, and Egyptian foul making station (foul is beans).

We ate at the Sapporo Japanese Sushi and Teppanyaki restaurant for dinner. We would recommend it. For two people, if you order a set dinner, you will pay about $60 USD before tip. Since we reside here in Cairo, we know for a fact that this is one of the best Teppanyaki restaurants in town. So don't miss out on this experience.

Any negatives:
not many, but just a few.... difficult to navigate in the lobby area - so many different rooms and stairs and restaurants. But not really a big deal. A bit pricey for room service, and it wasn't that great-tasting (Buffalo chicken wings are nothing like what you would expect back home). The TV just had satellite stations; no pay-per-view movies or anything. I had expected the room bill to be displayed on our TV, but no such service was given, which always had me guessing what my bill was throughout our stay here.

• Liked — All the nice little complimentary perks
  • Disliked — Room service food
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 16, 2007

Stayed 3 days in Sheraton Cairo with my wife and our 2 kids ( 11 and 9 years old). I booked a room, we were upgrade to a suite.
They added an extra bed. We had two room suite with a balcony.
One site we had the nile view the other the swimming pool.
It was not open. The staff are friendly. They came several times to check the room ask if they can clean it. The room was a bit cold we asked if they can turn on the heat , they said there is no heating system they can turn off the Air cond. Which was fine.
The bathroom was outdated but ok.
When we left we had 5 Hotel staff helping us with our luggages.
We didn't need that many people but I guess it was for the tip.
In general it was nice specialy the location.

Weskey.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — bathroom
  • Stayed March 2007, traveled with family
Park City, Utah
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 28, 2007

We stayed at this hotel for 3 nights during a tour operated and booked by Friendly Planet. After reading so many horrific reports I was quite concerned and actually called Friendly Planet to ensure a room in the Nefertiri Tower. We were booked into a room with a Nile view - it was beautiful in the evening. The room was very large, and it was clean! The bed was extremely comfortable, linens were clean, bathroom was spotless. Can you believe it?? It's true! Seriously, after some of these reports I was practically expecting trolls to be hiding behind the draperies!
The breakfast buffet was fine - offering the basic eggs, potatoes, sausages, croissant, etc. We ate at two of the hotel restaurants for dinner and they were quite good also.
The lobby is very nice - they have a quartet play every evening that I found quite soothing to listen to for a minute before going upstairs. I also found everyone working at the hotel to be extremely friendly and eager to be of service.
The only complaint I would have is that it took forever to get our suitcases - about an hour! So if you're in a rush to get somewhere, forget it.
I would stay at this hotel again if I were to visit Cairo.
p.s. Would recommend eating at The Fish Market on the Nile. Very good!!

• Liked — size of room, quiet
  • Disliked — length of time to have luggage delivered
  • Stayed February 2007
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to Sheraton Cairo Hotel, Towers & Casino? Share your experiences!