“Not the best location but comfy beds” 3 of 5 stars

Caroline Crillon Hotel
2.5 of 5 Hotel   |   49 Syria Street Mohandessin, Cairo, Egypt   |
Ranked #51 of 130 Hotels in Cairo
Sydney
“Not the best location but comfy beds”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2010

I stayed at the Caroline Crillon on two separate occasions during a GAP tour of Egypt. The rooms are fairly basic and could probably do with an upgrade to the interior decoration (think 70s style if you want to picture the current look). However, the rooms served their purpose as a place to rest my weary head first, after a long plane journey and then, after the sleeper train trip from hell. The beds would be some of the most comfortable I have slept in.

Breakfast is pretty average, consisting of instant coffee, eggs, cheeses and lots of bread. However, the staff are helpful, happy to arrange wake-up calls, advise where to buy cheap water etc.

One thing I noticed is that the hotel seems to be located far from everything the average tourist in Cairo wants to get to, like the airport (a 1.5 hour trip), the pyramids and the downtown area around Khan el Khalili (both lengthy car trips). On this basis, I probably would not recommend it to fellow tourists.

There is also a considerable amount of traffic noise which you can hear in the rooms, as the hotel is on the corner of a busy street. This goes on until late at night and starts again early in the morning. Be aware of this if you're a light sleeper!

• Stayed March 2010

Families
New York
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2009

This hotel has it's pros and cons.

I found the location rather inconvenient for getting around. It's on the Giza side of the river and with traffic in Cairo, crossing the bridge to the Cairo proper can take forever! No access to the metro from here.

The hotel was the noisiest I have ever stayed in and we were on a high floor. Make sure you stay not facing the street.

The style of the rooms was old, depressing, and felt like a college dorm. I'd rate it a 2 star than 3 star.

On the plus side, the food in the restaurant was very good and the staff was top notch! Totally professional, friendly and pleasant, caring, going out of their way to please you. Despite the unimpressive place, the staff was the best I have ever had anywhere.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
Algeria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2008

Hey guys, im here to tell you some good advices about Caroline Crillion hotel. Caroline hotel was one of the best hotels I stayed in. I went with 3 of my friends and we enjoyed so much.

1) Caroline Hotel has some beautiful rooms. I can assure you if you go down for shopping or anything else, you would come back and you would find it cleaned (Even if it was like for 5 minutes).
2) In my opinion, I think the Caroline was one of the most good hotels that services food. They get their food ( I dont know from where), but it is extremely delicious.
3) The staff of the hotel are EXTREMELY well behaved. They have good manners, and they are very helpfull.

And about the noise, I see its very load. But I excuse them because when I look from the window, I see that this is a main part in Cairo. It has alot of Traffic., so I excuse them for this.

• Stayed October 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
berkshire,united kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 19, 2008

i stayed at this hotel for one week and it was the worst experience of my life. the food was terrible, it gave me dirrhoea, i was changed rooms more than twice during a week stay, i was booked into a room with no linen change prior, the noise was unbearable all day and all night, had to sleep with television on and loud as the noise from outside hotel was just too much. the rooms would need to be updated. i lost personal ornaments i had just bought for 1500 pounds(egyptian) i would not even recommend my worst enemy to this hotel...

• Disliked — shower room needs update, food preparation needs to be improved, visitors property security
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled solo
    • 2 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 1 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Austria
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2008

It was a great experience to stay there! From check-in till check-out we didn't observe anything negative. We had a fantastic vacation in Egypt and rank it as one of our best ever. This hotel is excellent, We stayed for five days in Aug. of this year and then we traveld to the best city in the world Sharm ElShikh, Great staff The service from everyone was over the top. The room was very clean and the service was impeccable. The food was very well prepared and there was a wide selection to choose from

• Stayed August 2008, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2008

I Stayed here for 5 nights, The view at night from my room was fantastic, rooms are spacious with comfortable beds. Bathroom was fine but could do with a little upgrade to bring it up to the standard of the rest of hotel but the main thing is that everything was clean, The receptionists are helpful and all staff smile and greet guests as and when they see them, The food was fantastic,I have to say I cannot fault anything about this hotel is was excellent.

• Stayed July 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
New Zealand
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2008

My girlfriend and i stayed in Caroline Crillon Hotel early May and had a very very good time. We spent four nights at the beginning of the tour. The hotel had a very good location in Mohandseen and very good view from top floor, The hotel is clean, The staff are very friendly especially Mr. Hesham, the food is very delcious, the rooms are large but bathes are small, restaurants are good but small
I would stay here again and again

• Stayed May 2008
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Caroline Crillon Hotel? Share your experiences!